Kefir

Options
wowie69
wowie69 Posts: 44 Member
Have you tried Kefir? What are your experiences with it?

I saw Dr. Oz extolling the virtue of it in your diet, so bought a large bottle of strawberry Kefir smoothie drink to have as a supplement over the next few days in place of lunch (140 cals for just 1 cup!). In looking online, I'm seeing people who've gained weight with it, people who say it's constipating, others say it's a laxative...some say start with just 2-3 ounces and work your body's tolerance up to regular use....Now I'm scared to try it!

Replies

• Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it.
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've had it. Pretty much liquid yogurt. You can get some at Aldi if you'd like to try it. I've seen it in Strawberry and Blueberry flavors. Not a favorite of mine.
  • Becky7498
    Options
    I think it is okay but you have to monitor it just like yougart because it does have a few calories
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've seen it, but never tried it. I'm addicted to greek yogurt.

I think Dr. Oz is nutso. Just my $0.02 lol...
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    kefir is just a fermented beverage, you can get water kifer and milk/yogurt kifer... give it a try - don't be afraid of it.

It is the same as eatign yogurt, the active cultures keep the flora in your gut healthy. ...like those ridiculious commercials for activia yogurt ... same theory - there is nothing special about Activia yogurt than any other yogurt as long as there are active cultures in there.

Also, the commercial ones probably have a lot of sugar added like flavored yogurt... just thought i'd mention it incase you are concerned with sugar.
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it either.