Nicknames

Options
MrsCarter00
MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
So....I know it's going to be quite awhile for some of our LO's to start talking BUT I'm wondering if any of you have or have thought about what to call your kiddos "parts" so to speak, lol. I definitely want my little man to recognize the proper name for his penis but it feels too proper, if you know what I mean so I think I'd rather call it by something else.

Thoughts?

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I haven't even thought of this. Interested to see what other moms are doing.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My son is 9 so we have had many nicknames over the years we have used peepee, twig and berries, tenders, privates and I am sure there were others but tenders was his favorite now that he is older we tend to go toward privates because he gets embarrassed really easy so I try not to embarrass him too much. My husband is a dictionary of what to call your penis they just aren't all kid friendly.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Our 2yo calls hers by it's actual name, aka "vagina" and "bottom". We've talked about how it might be inappropriate at some point for her to call it that (case in point: that scene in "Kindergarden Cop"), but I prefer her using the actual name rather than nicknames. But I'd love to hear other's feedback as well...
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think we're going to go with the more 'proper' words as well, but I can definitely understand nicknames. I'm also interested to hear what other people say.

I think the only way to make those words sound less formal or medical-ized is to use them more often, so there isn't this weirdness we see today. :)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've been calling it "his little baby weiner" and I'm pretty sure I need to find a new name before I hurt his baby ego.

I've always thought we would use proper names, but my husband says weiner, too. It might end up sticking.

What are the mamas with older kids doing???
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    I think the only way to make those words sound less formal or medical-ized is to use them more often, so there isn't this weirdness we see today. :)

Good point!
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I try to call them by there technical names b/c my oldest son is 19 months and starting to learn his body parts. I really try to resist the urge to say "wee-wee" and things like that. hahaaha. My mom used to make up names for our private parts growing up and I remember as a kid thinking my breasts were called "hoo-hoos." LOL!!!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    LOL Thanks for all your input! I really should call it what it is but I'm undecided. Yall will probably laugh but I find myself calling it his "mister parts" Hahahaha goofy, I know!

Trista - you have a good point!

Nikki - that's hilarious!
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I've been calling it "his little baby weiner" and I'm pretty sure I need to find a new name before I hurt his baby ego.

I've always thought we would use proper names, but my husband says weiner, too. It might end up sticking.

What are the mamas with older kids doing???

I literally laughed out loud with this one!!

Every diaper time we sing the clean heiney and giney song. (Never thought I'd have to spell that one out... lol!)

Funny story: my brother has a 3 1/2 year old boy. He likes to kick his daddy in the junk. My brother has been trying to use the proper name for his parts but my nephew just doesn't understand they are the same thing. It went like this...

Nephew: Bam! Bam! Kicked dad in the privates! He laughs hysterically!
    My brother: Son, you cannot kick daddy in the testicles. It's not polite and it hurts daddy very much.
    Nephew: Laughing- bam! bam! bam! kicked dad again in the privates
    My brother: Son, I just told you not to kick daddy in the testicles. It really hurts and is not nice.
    Nephew: Dad, I didn't kick your testicles...I kicked you in the balls! And proceeds to go after him again!
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    we call it pee pee. my son is 4yrs old. and we will stick w that till he's a little older.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with proper terms I think.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    We haven't talked about it, but I think/assume we're going with proper terms. I grew up with "coupie" for girls, and "bird" for boys (when I was really young, my parents eventually switched to proper terms). I'll admit I still call penises "birds" when talking about them, and I some times ask Rose if she "wants some boobies" when she's hungry... I should probably cut that out before she starts talking! :laugh:
  • GinE73
    GinE73 Posts: 68
    Options
    Haha- I was just having this conversation with my husband! I initially thought that we would use the correct terms (ex: penis) but it just doesn't roll of the tongue so easily when I'm talking to our son. He's only 5 months so he doesn't really understand yet when I'm telling him I'm wiping his penis and butt with a baby wipe while I'm changing him. Maybe it's just I'M more embarrassed saying it to a baby...I dont think I could say it in a public setting or like another post referencing Kindergarten Cop...that would be horrific! LOL So, we just resorted to calling them cutesy names for now. I'll try saying penis more often and see if my embarrassment starts to decrease...penis. LOL
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Haha- I was just having this conversation with my husband! I initially thought that we would use the correct terms (ex: penis) but it just doesn't roll of the tongue so easily when I'm talking to our son. He's only 5 months so he doesn't really understand yet when I'm telling him I'm wiping his penis and butt with a baby wipe while I'm changing him. Maybe it's just I'M more embarrassed saying it to a baby...I dont think I could say it in a public setting or like another post referencing Kindergarten Cop...that would be horrific! LOL So, we just resorted to calling them cutesy names for now. I'll try saying penis more often and see if my embarrassment starts to decrease...penis. LOL

This ^^^ lol I'm with ya!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    We haven't talked about it, but I think/assume we're going with proper terms. I grew up with "coupie" for girls, and "bird" for boys (when I was really young, my parents eventually switched to proper terms). I'll admit I still call penises "birds" when talking about them, and I some times ask Rose if she "wants some boobies" when she's hungry... I should probably cut that out before she starts talking! :laugh:

That's hilarious! I can imagine Rose running around "mommy I want some boobies!" LOL
  • MrsCarter00
    Options

Funny story: my brother has a 3 1/2 year old boy. He likes to kick his daddy in the junk. My brother has been trying to use the proper name for his parts but my nephew just doesn't understand they are the same thing. It went like this...

Nephew: Bam! Bam! Kicked dad in the privates! He laughs hysterically!
    My brother: Son, you cannot kick daddy in the testicles. It's not polite and it hurts daddy very much.
    Nephew: Laughing- bam! bam! bam! kicked dad again in the privates
    My brother: Son, I just told you not to kick daddy in the testicles. It really hurts and is not nice.
    Nephew: Dad, I didn't kick your testicles...I kicked you in the balls! And proceeds to go after him again!

Oh my! boys will be boys ! :tongue:
  • Pepper2185
    Options

Penis, penis, PENIS!,

I need to practice, too. :blushing:
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    :laugh: LOL!!!!!!
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    my son is 3 and he knows it by "penis" we always called it pee pee or wee wee when he was little.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Our 2yo calls hers by it's actual name, aka "vagina" and "bottom". We've talked about how it might be inappropriate at some point for her to call it that (case in point: that scene in "Kindergarden Cop"), but I prefer her using the actual name rather than nicknames. But I'd love to hear other's feedback as well...

We will probably go with "penis" maybe "pee-pee" for my son. I've been saying "penis."

This post about "vagina" made me laugh though because once when we were hanging out with my 7 year old niece she kept saying "My vagina hurts." (We were swimming and I'm guessing her swimsuit may have been rubbing her the wrong way.) Anyway, it was funny because her using that word made my husband SO uncomfortable. Later he told me in his head he was like "Please stop saying 'vagina.'" But I think it's a good thing she used the right word. The being uncomfortable part is an adult thing that adults should work on.

Thinking about it...my husband laughs when I use the word "penis" in reference to our son.

Heh. Heh. I'm married to Beavis and Butthead.