Baby Movement Class

Options
I take Devon to a baby movement class and wanted to tell you all how much we enjoy it. Plus, a few of you were asking about it. :)

It is called Mindful Movement and is based on the Nurturing Pathways creative movement curriculum; we do nursery rhymes while moving baby's arms, legs, bodies to stimulate brain development. There is a link between physical and mental development, so when we move baby's arms and legs cross laterally, it stimulates cross lateral development in the brain. We dance while holding baby to develop sense of space; baby enjoyed the 1-2-3 rhythm of the waltz while in utero, so waltzing can be very comforting. The class is fun and things we could probably do at home, but the social aspect is just as great. We also use instruments to develop eye tracking muscles.

I highly recommend such classes!

Replies

• MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome!!! however, I'm a country bumpkin and such classes are probably nowhere close to where we live. boo! I was thinking that's what the classes were about, thanks for the confirmation :)
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome! The Library here in town has a Baby "Story Time" (and one for Toddlers as well) once a week. They read, move, dance, and sing during the class. Do rhymes as well. I took my oldest daughter to Baby Time and now to Toddler time, and am looking forward to taking Jovie to the Baby Story Time tomorrow morning for her first time! I agree- also good for social interaction. I've been taking Elsie to Baby and Toddler time since she was a baby and we've gotten to know some of the other mothers/children that are around her same age.

But that class sounds way awesome! I'm gonna look into comparable programs in this area:)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!

I keep seeing it pop up on your news feed and was super curious. The class sounds awesome! Devon is going to be smart :)

@Jillsie - there is a Baby Storytime at my library, too. I wonder if it's interactive like the one you go to. My son is 4 months old, and I wasn't sure if he was too young to go (I'm always afraid he will flip out and cry the whole time). I should just go. I need to stop being so shy.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My son is 4 months old, and I wasn't sure if he was too young to go (I'm always afraid he will flip out and cry the whole time). I should just go. I need to stop being so shy.

This is part of what's holding me back from joining any activities. Plus I'm a super home body and don't mind staying home a lot. It's also a hassle to get out the door with a baby when I'm by myself during the day.... :ohwell:
  • Jillsie11
    Options
    My son is 4 months old, and I wasn't sure if he was too young to go (I'm always afraid he will flip out and cry the whole time). I should just go. I need to stop being so shy.

This is part of what's holding me back from joining any activities. Plus I'm a super home body and don't mind staying home a lot. It's also a hassle to get out the door with a baby when I'm by myself during the day.... :ohwell:

Yah, it's possible baby will cry- but I'm sure they're used to it there and you're baby won't be the only one screamin'! :) I'm also a firm believer in the fact that the earlier you get out with those babies, the more accustomed they'll get to crowds, and the less they'll freak out in the long run:) Do it, ladies!

Also, let me encourage you to get out while you just have one!!! I was the same way with my first...just tended to stay in a bit. And NOW, I wish I could go out more but it's a lot more difficult with a toddler AND a newborn. Enjoy these "one baby days" as long as you can!! :)
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Yah, it's possible baby will cry- but I'm sure they're used to it there and you're baby won't be the only one screamin'! :) I'm also a firm believer in the fact that the earlier you get out with those babies, the more accustomed they'll get to crowds, and the less they'll freak out in the long run:) Do it, ladies!

Also, let me encourage you to get out while you just have one!!! I was the same way with my first...just tended to stay in a bit. And NOW, I wish I could go out more but it's a lot more difficult with a toddler AND a newborn. Enjoy these "one baby days" as long as you can!! :)

Oh, we do take Rose out and about. SIL/BIL never took our nephew anywhere (not even grocery shopping) and they had terrible problems with him once they did start taking him out. We take Rose to the stores with us, we've been taking her out to lunch/coffee on weekends since she was 10 days old and she does surprisingly well (she sleeps half the time, anyway).

I can definitely see how getting out the door with two would be much more challenging!
  • Jillsie11
    Options

Oh, we do take Rose out and about. SIL/BIL never took our nephew anywhere (not even grocery shopping) and they had terrible problems with him once they did start taking him out. We take Rose to the stores with us, we've been taking her out to lunch/coffee on weekends since she was 10 days old and she does surprisingly well (she sleeps half the time, anyway).

I can definitely see how getting out the door with two would be much more challenging!

Hope I didn't seem like I assumed you weren't taking your babies out at all- Lol. I'm sure you're all doing a great job and that's NOT at all what I meant. (sorry, I tend to over-analyze my own comments after the fact:)) I just know that this time around has been way different for me and I wish I could talk to my past self and tell myself to enjoy the one baby phase a little more:)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options

Good point, life will be a lot more challenging when I have more than one. It would be nice to meet some other moms, too. Plus the chances of someone else's baby out screaming mine is pretty high :)