Anyone else have this experience?

Options
teaspoon43
teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
Hi everyone - I'm new to the group!

I'm 28 and have had PCOS as long as I can remember. I think my periods were semi-normal up until I was about 18... then they started getting more and more spaced out until I wasn't having any at all. I gained about 100 lbs - I won't blame it on the PCOS only... I did go through depression etc but I do feel like it played a huge part. Hormones will make ya crazy! LOL.

Any who - I haven't had a period for a few years (yikes) but I started MFP religiously in January and have since lost 18 lbs (WOOT WOOT). I am now struggling with severe cramping and really abnormal bleeding. I read online that when you lose a certain percentage of your body weight, it starts to get your hormones going again so I did expect changes just not this severe. Has anyone else had this experience during or after losing weight? The next few sentences might be TMI but I warned you...

I bleed so bad and with so many HUGE clots every few nights. Could this be my uterine lining finally shedding? Then there's nothing in between those nights - so it's not a normal cycle.

I've also been really strict on working out and eating but since this bleeding has begun (about 2 weeks ago) my weight loss has stalled. I'm hoping it's because I'm bloated or all these hormonal changes.. I dunno. I'm not about to give up on losing getting healthy but I just wonder if anyone else had something similar happen?

Replies

• Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I experienced the exact same thing this year when I began working out. I had a heavy period for five weeks, with lots of cramping.

I think I shook it loose, so to speak, by moving my body in ways it was not used to. When was the last time I did crunches, or even *tried* to do sit ups? Couldn't tell you. Now that I am doing thos things, the buildup naturally had to go.

If it lasts for more than six to eight weeks, or the cramping reaches a point where you are unable to engage in normal activities, speak to your gynecologist. For now, make sure you get lots of fluids, and keep exercising. It will help in the long run.
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. It is change in hormones and your body trying to figure out what the heck is happening! LOL
    For a long time I took provera but after coming out of the 270's and going into the 250's I've had periods on my own. I also have implanon (BC). I say give it a few weeks and see what happens. Usually I'll bleed say most of the day and then two days zip~ and then light spotting and then nothing. This goes on only when i've really burned up the workout! LOL I hope someone can shed the light on this topic. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls... I guess I'm "normal" with PCOS hehe
  • fittyfittybumbum
    Options
    Samething. You're gonna bleed heavy like that because of all that accumulation. But the more you exercise, the more regular your period becomes. Sometimes I get two in a row! Just make sure you're not bleeding too heavy for too long. I ended up having to get a blood transfusion like two years ago. Don't believe a doctor when he/she tells you that bleeding heavy for a month is normal...even for us...that's something that should cause great concern