Day 3 _ what do you define as a binge?

Options
Day 3: What do you define as a binge?

I suppose consuming anything over 400 calories in a short space of time, that isn't classed as a main meal, would count as a binge for me.

But I find it's more about my mental state, than the act itself. When I'm not hungry, but I'm craving something to eat, and I just can't stop myself from eating.

Replies

• Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Day 3: What do you define as a binge?

My compulsion to eat food w/o necessarily being hungry (boredom, anxiety, stress, depression). I just keep eating and eating until I feel sick. I feel I have no control over my binges. I just have that strong urge to stuff my face.:sad:
  • star_sprite
    star_sprite Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    eating a large quantity of food mindlessly after an emotional spike - my emotional stat is usually not self-identified until after I binge.

I get this cringing feeling inside when I think about my binge eating...but thank you for creating a safe space to share my experience with it! I don't feel comfortable talking to anyone about it...
  • Aeriesified
    Aeriesified Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    A binge for me is when I want to mindlessly eat what I want and go, "I know I'll hate logging it... BUT ITS SO GOOD." and just keep on stuffing my face.

I get like that with hot wings made with Frank's Red Hot Sauce. But only from one particular place, and an order of 8 comes free if you order a pizza. I always tell myself I won't eat the pizza. And I always do. After I skip the 8 and upsize to a box of 20 wings and devour that.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I would define binge as eating excessive amounts of food your body doesn't need. eating out of being bored or emotional. that is what I would classify it as.
  • TheCrunchyChemist
    Options
    For me, a binge is consuming an excessive amount of calories after I have already eaten a sufficient meal. I always feel out of control when I binge, and there seems to be a need for me to clean the whole container and not leave anything left because if I did leave food in the container, someone else might get it and then I would be "depriving" myself. Also, my flawed logic is that "if everybody else can eat that much and not gain, then why can't I?". In the back of my mind I know this is not true, but I need a reason to justify my actions.

On another note, I did binge last night on shelled peanuts, but I was able to stop myself before I felt sick and I left a large amount in the bag for everybody else.
  • rougecrayon
    Options
    I define my binges as mindless and unplanned overeating.

It generally goes from 500-1500 calories.
  • GreenLaura22
    GreenLaura22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    For me binging is when I eat as much as I can eat...almost like a frenzy, and always when I'm alone. I'll get upset if my kids see me doing it. I've watched my husbands car pull out of the garage and make a bee line for the food. It is a compulsion, it feels like I need to eat to make it better. Afterwords the opposing feelings of loathing and also shamefully satisfied pull me apart.
  • KimLoan325
    Options
    My version of a binge is a frenzied state, where I'm hardly tasting or chewing what's in my mouth and I'm already getting ready for the next bite.

This is humbling for me, to realize that I am a compulsive eater and that I devour food with all of my senses - too often without even being present enough to enjoy it properly.

I am infatuated with food in general, but fixations are even worse: savory, salty, buttery, rich, creamy. I've struggled with high cholesterol and sodium before, and want to avoid meds when I should change my foods and eating habits.

Eating frantically and hiding wrappers or lying about what I've eaten... "No, I didn't just eat two heavily buttered croissants with BBQ pork - I'm ready for dinner!" That sounds really gross now, but I've eaten exactly that a bunch of times.

My BF travels internationally for work, and stopped eating animal protein beyond fish, dairy and cheese. We eat together, but I crave "my" foods and will often eat those as well or in addition to the meal. He never pressures me at all, it's me being self-conscious.

Any kind of eating that makes me resent myself or indulge in negative thoughts about my body image or habits is binging for me. My goal is to learn some more productive ways of being self-disciplined and enjoying the foods I enjoy in a responsible way.
  • stackah
    stackah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What do you define as a binge?

I think most of what people have posted here already rings true for me as well. A binge to me is uncontrolled eating--a craving that I have to eat something that's not considered that healthy or to consume a lot of food. It's usually brought on by stress, feeling unhappy, being tired, or just boredom. I usually have feelings of guilt associated with; in fact, I may even do it sneakily. And I feel badly (usually physically and emotionally) after the binge.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I define a binge as feeling out of control with eating. Thinking in my head "no, why are you eating this?? you aren't hungry. you already had enough" and eating anyway. Eating 25 mini chocolates. I either have none or 25...there is no middle ground. If I'm going to eat them, what's the point of having 1?? I want to keep eating them b/c they taste good. And then once I've started, I think "well, i won't be allowed to eat this many tomorrow, so I may as well just do it up right!" and then I alternate between sweet and salty until I go to bed. That's the only reason I ever stop once I start...bedtime.

And I'll be the only one eating. My husband won't be...just me, on the couch, eating. It's not like I'll be a party pooper if I don't indulge...it's just me....going back into the kitchen over and over again for something different.

And when this happens I don't CARE that it will affect my weight loss...I decide, well, I look good enough...I should be able to do this sometimes. Then I feel so awful afterwards and in the morning. I can't sleep b/c my stomach hurts and I know I lost control. And then I'm stuck relosing the same damn pounds OVER AND OVER again. It's water weight b/c I gain it quickly and lose it quickly. But wouldn't it be nice to actually lose REAL weight??? I won't unless I can quit this.

And it makes me feel BAD, so why do I do it?? I KNOW it makes me feel bad. I KNOW during the binge I will feel bad afterwards. Don't I love myself enough to NOT DO THAT TO MYSELF????

Wow, reading over this it sounds so sick. I have a disease or something. Rereading this when I feel like binging may actually be helpful. Glad I found some other people who understand. Phew...
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I define a binge as me eating an insane amount of junk food, always involving chocolate, in a short period of time, usually when my kids are napping and my husband is at work or in the garage. It involves peanut butter a lot too, so that bumps up the calories severely. When I logged a binge, it was 1500 calories, I typically don't log binges and typically eat about 3-4 times what I eat that one time I logged it. So my binges will be probably 3000 calories easily. I will have one binge, then the next day, two, then pretty much eat like crap all day long for one or two days, then will realize I've gained 8 pounds and will get back on track. The first day after a binge week, my mind is like an addict. I've quit smoking, so know exactly what addictive thoughts are like, they're the same. I find if I can get through the first day, the second is a lot easier and by the third I'm back in a good place.

I don't feel like I eat bc of stress or boredom, I think I started binging bc I was feeling deprived. I never in my life ever once binged before MFP. I was never really overweight, joined MFP to lose 5-10 pounds and tone up, I think I was too restrictive for the first several months. I have recently upped my calories to almost maintence and am going to make myself eat all of them every day. I'll still lose weight, slowly, yes, but as long as I'm not binging (hopefully bc I'm not feeling deprived anymore) I should be able to lose actual weight, not just gain and lose the same 5-10 pounds over and over. I hate the way my mind feels when I'm having a craving to binge, it makes me anxious, on edge, *****y almost. I find I just have to find something else to do when I've got that feeling, again it usually only happens day one of being back on track, read MFP success stories, take a nap, work on kids baby book, etc. something, I can't just sit and watch tv, I just sit there all tweaker like thinking about food. I hate it. I'm on day 3 binge free tonight. I'd love to never binge again. I'm fine with going over calories, if it's a holiday, or going out to eat occasionally, but it's that crazy mental thought process of a craving/binge that I hope to never experience again. Going over calories one day does not affect weight loss, eating like a crazy person for a week will!
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    "I'm fine with going over calories, if it's a holiday, or going out to eat occasionally, but it's that crazy mental thought process of a craving/binge that I hope to never experience again."

This, exactly!! It's not about splurging or going over on calories, in fact I think it's healthy and good to indulge on holidays and when you're out to eat...it's the mental process...so out of control. What a terrible feeling.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Day 3 - What do you define as a binge?

A binge is when I lose control and go into an eating frenzy. I consume huge amounts of calories (usually sweets) until long after I've stopped enjoying them and often until I feel sick or worn out as a result.
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    A binge is when I eat for no reason. A binge is when I get an urge to eat until I feel sick and at the time it seems impossible to tell myself "no", even before I start. A binge is when I head to the grocery on the way home and load up on all the ingredients for a horribly unhealthy 1000-1500 calorie dinner, followed by making boxed brownies and eating half.
  • viktorijandz
    viktorijandz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For me binge eating is eating even though I'm completely full. I can feel that my stomach is full but I just can't stop eating! As binge eating mostly occures in the evenings, I can't sleep at night afterwards because my stomach hurts. It's terribly unpleasant feeling! :(
  • Thelxinoe
    Thelxinoe Posts: 32
    Options
    As a lot of you have said, I see binge eating as eating for the sole purpose of eating. It's eating when I'm not hungry, eating not out of a need or even enjoyment, but eating just because I can't stop. I tend to binge on sweets because once I have a piece, I have to have another, then another, then another... So I end up consuming a huge amount of empty calories (mostly carbs and far) in an extremely short period of time, sometimes to the point where I feel sick to my stomach. And then I feel guilty about not being able to control my craving.
  • supernatural234
    Options
    I define a binge as being an instance in which I eat uncontrollably. I am not enjoying myself, I know I'm going to regret it, and it ends up with me being on the verge of puking. It's definitely not a binge for me unless I can't control myself. If I have control but allow myself a little treat or have a cheat day/meal, that's a splurge and not a binge. Usually my binges end up being a days worth of food calories on top of my already consumed calorie amount. Binges are HELL!
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A large amount of food in a short time frame. "Large" is subjective as I had been directed after helping with a study for psych class. I kept saying that I would eat larger quantity servings than the average person in a short time, but then say I didn't binge. I didn't eat the containers of multiple foods that would be thousands of calories. In most cases I'd have 1,000 average but at most 2,000, depending if I did eat one container of something. With that questionare I had to admit that I did binge.

For me it's most really the feeling of eating and not caring what I was doing. I was in control but deciding not to be. Sometimes I can stop myself at 600 but depends on what emotional state I was in and what set me off.
  • melsy78
    melsy78 Posts: 65
    Options
    For me it really is that point when I realise i am just bored or stressed but I still eat too much and feel sick afterwards as it is mostly heavy carbs. (Like chips or cheese sandwiches or custard buns)

I also only really do it when nobody else is around so I know it isn't a healthy thing!
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    When I don't plan my snacks and I just start grazing. One bite turns into the whole bag. Or at night when im not hungry butalls I do is eat! I can eat easily 1000 calories without even thinking about it.