Shoes?

Options
DaniH826
DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
So I walked into a few shoe stores today asking for women's lifting shoes and got looked at like I have 2 heads. I'm not gonna lie, I quite enjoyed being an obvious anomaly, but it bugged me that they were basically pointing me to the men's section. The ladies' shoes I did see that would probably do were like 99 bucks but I swear I read Rippetoe mention decent lifting shoes for around 50 somewhere.

Any ideas for some decent lifting shoes that won't break the bank? I don't like Converse and can't really work out barefoot cause I'm set up in my garage and am so klutzy that I'd probably break some toes.

Also, for V-day I got red roses and a weightlifting belt. I was more giddy over the belt than the roses. I LOOOOVE lifting. :laugh:

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibrams. I bought them to run in but they killed my shins. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about dropping a weight on my foot, but I figure it'll hurt no matter what shoe I have on. I tried them on in a store then got them on ebay $30 cheaper.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I like to lift in Merrell barefoot shoes. Actually, I wear them all day. For lifting they have a zero drop from heel to toe so I find I have better balance and alignment. They were $100, but since I wear them as my regular shoes and gym shoes the cost was worth it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    re: converse - people don't recommend them because they're comfy, they recommend them because they are a cheap solution for a very hard flat sole which is very important for squatting (Although squatting barefoot is also fine, its just easier with a hard sole)

For the rest of your lifts, you can just wear vibrams or barefeet.

In terms of breaking toes... not much will prevent that if you drop a weight on your foot so uh, just try to avoid that.

Basically all you need to do is avoid shoes with very squishy heels or curved bottoms.

There is such a thing as a proper lifting shoe but unless you're competing I wouldn't even begin to worry about it.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I use vibrams too and sometimes my converse.
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Cool beans then. I saw some basketball shoes today made by Adidas which I liked, but of course they were in the men's section.

Seriously??!! :grumble:

Right now I wear Nike T-lites cross trainers which are my go-everywhere and do-everything shoes (unless it's summer, then it's flip-flops). Think I can get away with those for a bit while I scout some more?

I'm still dinking around with the empty bar and deadlift only around 100, and I plan on adding by about 5 lbs per week rather than per workout, so I'm not going to be hitting anything real heavy for a good while.

I'm liking the Merrells a lot actually, and if any of the "barefoot" styles are workable for lifting, will have to see what's available locally so I can try some on. Thanks gals, y'all rock! :flowerforyou:
  • fishlover888
    Options
    I recently bought some sketchers ''go run'' shoes for midfoot running which i've found are actually really great for squats and super comfortable/breathable. They say "Resalyte" on them so maybe that is the name? Pretty flat shoes with a mildly curved bottom. i got them on a sale rack, and i think they were about 30 bucks so maybe keep an eye out for any of the 'free/barefoot/midfoot' running shoes that are on sale!

Before I got these shoes I was doing my squats in my stabilization asics with huge heels and huge arch support... I didn't understand how terrible that was until I felt the difference!
  • tdeprat
    Options
    I recently had been having a bunch of ankle problems (sprained ankle just wouldn't get better) and decided that if I was going to start power lifting I really needed to prevent injury. I figured a good pair of shoes would help me out. I found this page during my internet searches ( http://wlshoes.com/ ) that really helped me make a decision on shoes.

Plus to quote Jim Wendler on weight lifting shoes "They're expensive, but you'll have them for life so don't skimp." ;-)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Vans, Vibrams, Wrestling shoes - anything that doesn't have a heel that will absurb your power e.g. a running shoe will work. If you work out in a garage, I'd take advantage of this and go bare feet or socks. If you're a klutz and drop a heavy weight on your foot, it's going to hurt pretty bad bare foot or with shoes on (unless they're steel-toed)
  • DaniH826
    Options
    I actually settled on some Nikes for now that are a lot flatter and less cushiony than my cross trainers. They seem to be working out well. Not completely flat but pretty close. They're super lightweight, which I love, but afford protection also.

If/when the time comes that my lifts get so heavy where they no longer support me well enough, I'll revisit the subject, but for now I'm happy. :happy: Maybe I'll just use socks with traction on the bottom at that point. :bigsmile: We've got my half of the garage padded so that'll afford some shock absorption right there, and hopefully will help me not break weights or the bar should something get dropped (I know if I drop anything on my foot it'll be toast one way or the other, so better the bar than my toesies for sure!).

Thanks for all the feedback! I didn't know that shoes were even going to be an issue with lifting. :laugh: Learn something new every day ...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Everyone talks about vibrams and chucks, but one of the guys in my gym also lifts in toms. Seems like they work just as well (very minimal sole with no cush). Just throwing out another option.
  • sittinginthesun
    sittinginthesun Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like to lift in Merrell barefoot shoes. Actually, I wear them all day. For lifting they have a zero drop from heel to toe so I find I have better balance and alignment. They were $100, but since I wear them as my regular shoes and gym shoes the cost was worth it.

^^ This. They are awesome, and you have more direct contact with the ground, as if you were barefoot. They are a little expensive (I think around 80-90??) but totally worth it - I've also seen them on sale at REI.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I've got a pair of Converse Hi-Tops, and a pair of Sketchers Go Runs. I've worn both. I prefer the Go Run because they are really a lot more comfortable, and take less time to pull on and off.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i do my squats/dls barefoot. i have better balance and grip.

my shoes are old though, and as i do a lot of my workouts barefoot i can't see any reason to drop 60$ on new shoes.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    ive been lifting barefoot. give it a try!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Sweet! Barefoot...Never even thought about that. I mean, it's not like either pair will protect me if I drop something on them, anyway. :laugh:
  • samfirman
    Options
    I lift in weightlifting shoes. I bought the Wei-Rui's and I love them. Here's a link. Decent quality and low prices. Hope that helps. http://www.maxbarbell.com/collections/weightlifting-shoes
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Barefoot. Although squatting while wearing Converse because of the hard sole sounds tempting...
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Barefoot + foot sweat = not too slippery? I'd be worried about that, honestly. Not an issue for y'all barefooted ladies?