Exercises specifically for biking?

Options
icimani
icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
I've started exercising my hands to get ready for riding season - I dislocated my left thumb 2 years ago and it seems like I always struggle at the beginning of the season. So I started using a squeeze ball to strengthen my hands.

Last summer I was still sort of recuperating from bi-lateral knee replacement in Jan/Feb, and then had some mechanical problems (and problems with a local shop:angry:) so I didn't get a whole lot of riding in. I know I'm a whole lot stronger this year so I am really looking forward to this coming season!

Is there anything you do exercise-wise that's specific to riding?

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Not really. Like you said, my clutch hand is about the only thing that feels overworked at the beginning of the year. Getting braided lines actually helped the stiffness of my clutch a lot.

Anytime that I am riding a lot-lot, my bad knee gets to hurting. I'm pretty sure it's the motion that walking the bike makes the knee do that makes it sore. It's always side-to-side strain that gives me problems. I just live with it because rest is the only thing that truly helps.

I hope you are going to do tons of riding this year!! I'm sure planning on it.

Elaine in CO
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'll be in the same boat. After breaking my left arm this past Dec. I'm now able to do most things but unable to straightened it all the way. Definitely squeeze that ball as much as you can....we just gotta be ready to Ride this year!! This will be my 1st Full Riding Season and I want to Ride everyday, gosh darn it! :smile:
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I had both thumb joints replaced and both knees replaced (I'm not going to get old - just replacing all my parts). Hand strengthing exercises are great. General strength building - squats, wieght lifting etc.. have helped me tremendously.
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do an allover workout and do a lot of lifting. I can tell a 100% difference when I do and when I don't. I concentrate on the muscles used when having to move the bike around at a stop.
  • Zosimah
    Zosimah Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine raced Dakar in 2012. I'll send him an email and ask what his fitness routine was. A lot of things I would expect are core strengthening, squats for quad/ham strength and endurance, general cardio endurance, and shoulder work. It'll be interesting to see just what he did (other than TONS of prep riding).

I had an overland rider buddy who used to do a good bit of hare scrambling and trail riding used to lay his bike on it's side in the grass with various loads packed and would use that for front/back squats. It built his body and gave him a lot of technique for picking his bike up while traveling.
  • Zosimah
    Zosimah Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Came across a recent post in an overland/adventure riding blog. Enjoy.

http://adventure-motorcycling.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/basic-aerobic-training-for-adventure.html
  • icimani
    Options
    Thanks, Zosimah!

I'm don't do off-road biking but there's some good information here.
  • dsl01
    dsl01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've got a back that I have to be careful with (couple surgeries, lots of other therapies over the years) so basically weight control and core strength is my focus.
    Probable should step up on on legs some.
  • dsl01
    dsl01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've got a back that I have to be careful with (couple surgeries, lots of other therapies over the years) so basically weight control and core strength is my focus.
    Probable should step up on on legs some.

I should not have posted this .
    The day after, I injured my back(again). Like to say I did it doing something wild and crazy, but, nope, did it playing baseball with the grandsons.
    Basically out of commission for 2 weeks so far, no exercise, no gym, no riding ,No NOTHING but hobbling to work and back home.
    I know how to treat it , I'm healing, but weight has creeped up 5 lbs, FRUSTRATING!!
  • icimani
    Options
    The day after, I injured my back(again). Like to say I did it doing something wild and crazy, but, nope, did it playing baseball with the grandsons.
    Basically out of commission for 2 weeks so far, no exercise, no gym, no riding ,No NOTHING but hobbling to work and back home.
    I know how to treat it , I'm healing, but weight has creeped up 5 lbs, FRUSTRATING!!

Ouch!! Take care of yourself, give yourself a chance to heal, then ease back into things when you can.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    For my racing season and track days I tend to focus on thigh muscles and forearms. Both take a beating in a half hour sprint race. I do a lot of cycling (bicycle) either at the gym or on trail if it's nice outside.

Really the best exercise is going to be riding. It's hard to replicate it elsewhere, and although new season struggles might be frustrating, your body will bounce back into shape quickly for those activities.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

Oh, I am sorry to hear this!! I hope you are getting better, I am sending light for your healing. I know how frustrating this stuff is!