Starting Weight for SL after other lifting plan?

Options
jstout365
jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
Hi! I'm going to be starting SL next week and I was wondering if anyone with SL experience could offer some suggestions on starting weight. I know most people start at the bar for the majority of the lifts, but I don't know if it would be best for me to go that low considering where I am at this point. I've been lifting for the past 8 months. I started with Les Mills Body Pump and did that until the end of 2012. In January I switched to a more traditional iso lifting program and have seen strength gains from that. I've been playing around with the 5x5 format for squats and bench press the past week on those muscle days so I know where I am right now.

So more to the point. Where would you start if you were at the following weights:

Squat 5x5 @135lbs
Strait leg Deadlift 3 sets of 12 @ 135 lbs
Bench Press 5x5 @ 95lbs (I did 100 lbs the first chest day this week, but had to back off after one set on the second day)
OHP - not something I often do so will start with bar
Row 3 sets of 12 @ 85 lbs. (not the Pendlay row)

I feel that starting with bar weight will just waste a few weeks building up closer to where I am now. I don't plan to jump into this at my current level either. I read something about starting at 50% of current weight ability. Would it be off the mark to start Squat\DL @ 70 lbs, bench @ 50 lbs, and row at bar?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I'm sure Tameko will pop in and answer you in a knowledgeable and concise manner, but until then you have me!

You will increase weights really rapidly, so it's not really a huge deal to start at just the bar. It would take you 6 weeks to get back to 135 squats for example.

Deadlifts, OHP, and Row are new/different than what you have been doing. Mehdi recommends starting deadlift at 95# though so take that as you will. Are you currently squatting below parallel? How is your bench press form? If both of those are fine then 50% of 1RM is an okay starting point. The point of starting at a really low weight is to be able to tweak form before it becomes an issue. A small twinge at 75# can be a month of missed workouts at 125# I did pull those numbers out of my bum, but the sentiment is there.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I used a calculator to determine my 1RM based on what I was lifting when I started and then I think I went with about 60% of that. I'm pretty sure there was a good thread, I'll see if I can bump it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm going to be starting SL next week and I was wondering if anyone with SL experience could offer some suggestions on starting weight. I know most people start at the bar for the majority of the lifts, but I don't know if it would be best for me to go that low considering where I am at this point. I've been lifting for the past 8 months. I started with Les Mills Body Pump and did that until the end of 2012. In January I switched to a more traditional iso lifting program and have seen strength gains from that. I've been playing around with the 5x5 format for squats and bench press the past week on those muscle days so I know where I am right now.

So more to the point. Where would you start if you were at the following weights:

Squat 5x5 @135lbs
    Strait leg Deadlift 3 sets of 12 @ 135 lbs
    Bench Press 5x5 @ 95lbs (I did 100 lbs the first chest day this week, but had to back off after one set on the second day)
    OHP - not something I often do so will start with bar
    Row 3 sets of 12 @ 85 lbs. (not the Pendlay row)

I feel that starting with bar weight will just waste a few weeks building up closer to where I am now. I don't plan to jump into this at my current level either. I read something about starting at 50% of current weight ability. Would it be off the mark to start Squat\DL @ 70 lbs, bench @ 50 lbs, and row at bar?

Thanks in advance!

The other girls pretty much covered this but short answer is that those numbers you've suggested seem fine, But its kind of hard to row the bar so start that at 65 or if you have access to a lighter bar you could go lower, but basically get some plates on there.

And deadlifts can be done from 65 but it does require lots of plate stacking to get it to a normal height, so I'd probably start with 95. Be prepared to relearn that whole movement though, its quite different from a stiff legged deadlift.

Aalllllso....from what I've seen, and this obviously may vary by class, the squats they teach in les mills are weak on form and generally seem to be half squats? So I'd watch some videos and confirm you're doing the correct squat, which is a 'low bar' back squat (it doesn't have to be LOW, everyone finds a place that's comfortable for them, but it shouldn't be a super high bar either as you can move more weight with a lower bar).

If you've been doing half squats, I'd recommend you go all the way down to the bar and start over. Like Tree said, it only takes 6 weeks to get back to 135 so its not a HUGE time sink to do that.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I am currently squatting below parallel as recommended and I hold the bar lower on the back/shoulders than they say in the class. Even in that class I would try to get to parallel, but after a few minutes of squatting form usually got weak. I had my trainer check form for me on Wednesday and she said it was solid.

The one advantage I have in the plate stacking is that I'm 5'2" so naturally a little closer to the ground anyway :wink: but I had read about stacking plates to bring up the bar so I will do that also.

I'm eager to get into this program and start pushing around some good weight. I'll take the time to get the correct form on the lifts that are newer for me. First SL scheduled for Tuesday!