Whats your lifting routine?

Options
So I have switched my current routine to 5x5 and increased weights and loving the results.. I am only doing two exercises for the stronglifts program though squats and over head press... I am going to start the alternating days next week and adding in bench press.. I also need to add in barbell row and deadlift and I'm not sure how much weight I should do for these? also any good youtube videos on how to do these correctly? I feel like theres so many different kinds of dead lifts..

Just curious... what is everyone's routines? Do you do any lifts in addition to SL? or cardio?

Heres my current schedule:
Tues/sunday - cardio
MWF: all 5x5
Squats - 140 lbs
Overhead press - 50
Lunges - 25 lbs dumbbells
Arm Curls - "
Dips - 35 lb plate
Side bends - 55 lb dumbbell
dumbbell supine fly - 10 lbs (amazing for armpit fat lol)
Hip ad/abducter machine - 140 lbs

Any recommendations on what I should add or take out ? I'm definitely going to add in the barbell row and dead lift... Thinking about excluding arm curls and dips if I do this, but do the other exercises work your biceps/triceps enough? I feel like they are more back/shoulder exercises?

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Why did you pick this particular routine? What are your goals? What's your history with lifting?

5x5 is great for a beginning strength routine but its pretty high volume as it is and with all the work you've added its going to take you an unreasonably long time, and you're going to be way too tired towards the end to benefit from the lower rep work (because you'll be too tired to be actually lifting that heavy) so I'd recommend making that more metabolic work.

The correct deadlift is a clean deadlift. There are videos in the summary and links to some explanations for how to do them.

the 5 lifts outlined in SL will hit all of your muscle groups, so from a balance perspective its fine. But if you're looking for bodybuilder type muscle growth (big round bulging biceps and shoulder muscles), you WILL want to add some isolation exercises later. And switch to more of a bodybuilding program, away from a strength program -- but all beginners should start with a basic strength program first so either way this is a good way to get started.
  • Lovable12
    Options
    What is the difference between the strength and the metabolic? My goal is to just get in shape, lose 10 lbs, I enjoy running outside when its nice out but its been like 30 degrees and I get bored on treadmills and know I definitely need to add more strength training... I have been lifting on and off for like the last 5 years doing different exercises... I didn't really have a particular reason for choosing this routine, other than this is what I had been dong (except as 3x10) on and off for the last few years, prior to discovering strong lifts... I finally noticed them working my muscles and seeing results when I started doing them as 5x5 and I only added in the overhead press, still need to add the others... Right now I do 2 at once so while I'm resting from one exercise I will do another one so it only takes me about an hour now to get through everything.. (so I start with squats then before my second set of squats I will do my first set of overhead press, alternate arm curls and dips, side bends and lunges, etc.) It seems to save a lot of time and I don't feel tired from it.. maybe I am not doing enough weight then? the fifth sets are always hard so I figured I was?? not sure, I just hate sitting around so I do a different exercise... I am definitely not looking for big bulgy biceps (not that theres anything wrong with that, just not for me), does that mean I should definitely cut out the arm curls and dips? I will definitely look up the clean dead lift thanks for all your help! :)