Insanity + Les Mills Pump?

Options
lapocienta
lapocienta Posts: 39 Member
I want the cardio madness Insanity offers, but I want to get good muscle definition at the same way, so I thought of Les Mills Pump. So I'm definitely starting Insanity once my HRM is delivered (cardio is my priority) and I'm considering to start Les Mills Pump at the same time.

My problem is:
A month ago, I was eating too few calories and hardly seeing any progress. I upped my calorie intake to meet 80% of my TDEE. As expected, I started having great results because my body had enough fuel to improve my shape and fit level. But 80% of my TDEE is a lot, and sometimes I struggle to eat all those calories and I'm only burning around 500 cals with each of my workouts (Jillian Michaels + FitnessBlenders).

Considering the calorie burn offered by these two programs, I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep my fuel tank at a good level.

So...
* For those with a HRM: Are you really burning 1000 calories per session with Les Mills Pump?
* Have anyone here tried both programs simultaneously with good (healthy) results?
* Is Insanity a 'just cardio' program? or does it deliver some muscle definition?

Any piece of advice regarding these workouts, even if it has nothing to do with my particular situation, is absolutely welcome! :bigsmile:

Thanks!

Replies

• tppchef
    tppchef Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My gym used to offer Les Mills Pump. I loved it. Easy to follow, and fun. Insanity has a lot of jumping. I've got problems with both of my feet, so I have to pace myself. Both are great workouts, but I personally like Pump better. My body keeps weight off better when I lift weights.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have completed both Insanity and Pump and a hybrid of the two.. As much as I loved Pump, NO. You are not going to get 1000 calorie burn in the routines. The reason I ended up incorporating Insanity into my Pump schedule is because I was not getting the burn I felt I needed to get. I wear my HRM anytime I'm working out.. Even in Pump Extreme or Revolution, both 55-60 minute programs, I was getting less than 450 kcal burn, and sometimes even below 400. As opposed to 650 - 850 for a 45 minute routine in Combat or Insanity (depending on my intensity.) BUT, that being said, Pump is awesome for muscle definition. They work you out very well. The way I did my schedule was to use Pump as the base. I did whatever Pump routine was on the schedule. Then on the Rest/Flow/Walk days, I inserted an Insanity routine. For the first 6 weeks, I used Month 1 Insanity routines. For the last 6 weeks, I used Month 2 routines. I always kept my rest day on Sunday and didn't move it around like the Pump schedule does.
    And to aswer your question about Insanity and muscle definition: You might get some because of the plank work and pushups, but honestly, it's a 90% (if not more) cardio only program. That's why my hybrid was perfect for me and I got the best of both worlds..
    I hope this helps you some..
    **Dale**
  • KLSG23
    KLSG23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I made it through 2.5 weeks of Insanity. It's fantastic as you know but i didn't really enjoy it. Then I found Les Mills Combat. I love love love that. In the past 3+ weeks, I have started doing a hybrid of Les Mills Combat and Pump. I have seen a big difference in my muscle definition and strength. However, I will say that I do not burn anything close to 1000/hr w/Les Mills Pump. Once you start building muscle, you will see you bf% drop and (if you have lbs to lose, they will come off quicker.)