Cross training for a half marathon

Options
GiddyupTim
GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
Hi all:
I have a question for 'actual' runners.
There is a thread on MFP about lifting weights and running. The poster is a woman who is training for a half-marathon, presumably her first. Her training program says she needs to cross train. Her program recommends that she cross train once a week. So, she asks: Should I do a whole body workout in that one day? Or should I focus on a particular body part?
Well, here is why I have a question.
The answers she has received are, essentially: 'Oh, no ! Lifting weights once a week isn't going to do you any good. You need to lift more than that. Especially if you are running, because running burns up muscle and you will lose appreciable muscle mass if you don't lift too.' Then, they go on to recommend that she only run three times a week, so she can fit in all her weight lifting.
i have two problems with this advice she is getting. One, I think the claims that running long distances necessarily burns a significant amount of muscle are exaggerated. If that were true, wouldn't long distance runners and soccer players eventually get too weak to run well? Second, I know that when I lift weights, I do not run very well the next day because my muscles are fatigued. That would make it really hard to train very well -- that is, two days lifting, when you couldn't run much, and two days recovery, when you couldn't run well, leaving only three days for running, if you don't rest at all.
Does anyone else have a problem with this? Or, am I wrong, and cross training has taken a new resonance as a part of running training?
My understanding of most half-marathon training programs is that they recommend a day of "light" cross training, mostly as a rest day from running, during which you work on strengthening your core.
Thanks.

Replies

• alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Not only that, but cross training should always be cardio. Some supplemental strength training is good, but it's not cross training. Serious training for distance running and serious heavy lifting can't really be done at the same time without over training imo.
  • larosita57
    larosita57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Most long distance running experts - like Hal Higon - state that runners don't need to do "heavy" lifting - light weights are fine. We do need to build upper body strength, as running doesn't do much for the body in that sense, but modest lifting is fine. When I'm training for a race, I generally do 2 days a week light weight lifting. It does help my performance. As for cross training - I think what's generally meant is low-key aerobic exercise, one that isn't hard on the body.

There's a never-ending debate b/w weight lifting folks and others who are more into aerobic exercise - which is better, etc etc. For running purposes, I don't think it would help to be super-ripped - look at the the running pros - they're usually lean and compact. That stuff about running consuming muscle - that's just weird! I doubt a sports medicine expert (i.e. a real medical professional!) would agree with that.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Most long distance running experts - like Hal Higon - state that runners don't need to do "heavy" lifting - light weights are fine. We do need to build upper body strength, as running doesn't do much for the body in that sense, but modest lifting is fine. When I'm training for a race, I generally do 2 days a week light weight lifting. It does help my performance. As for cross training - I think what's generally meant is low-key aerobic exercise, one that isn't hard on the body.

There's a never-ending debate b/w weight lifting folks and others who are more into aerobic exercise - which is better, etc etc. For running purposes, I don't think it would help to be super-ripped - look at the the running pros - they're usually lean and compact. That stuff about running consuming muscle - that's just weird! I doubt a sports medicine expert (i.e. a real medical professional!) would agree with that.

I am training for a 1/2 and doing strength training BUT I don't do a major strengthening program that fatigues. I do Body Pump which is lower weight and a lot of reps. So I totally agree with this post. I attempted to do more intense training with Insanity and heavier weights and it was a disaster. I couldn't run 3 miles without fatigue and I was running 6 easily so I learned that for me, I have to do lower weights and less intense plyometric exercise. I definitely cross train, with group classes (Body Combat, Step) or interval training and so far so good
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    strength training is important, but if training for a half or a full I wouldn't cut out running days to fit in lifting days!

I'm training for a full right now. On my cross training days I try to do a different aerobic exercise, and some strength training and one other day a week I do some strength training on an easy day.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    here's my cross training workout http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/ironstrength-workout

I also think swimming is the perfect cross training workout and try to get in the pool once a week.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I'm following a 1/2 marathon training program and on x-training days it calls for either cycling, swimming, or walking. I think that if I did something like StrongLifts 4x4 it would create problems with my running program.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A while back (sometime in early January, I think) someone posted a topic asking about lifting weights while training for a marathon. This was my response:

I've run 6 full marathons. The first 2 I didn't do any weight lifting/strength training during my marathon training. My times were 4:34 and 4:48.

Since then I've added more & more weight lifting to my routine....right now I'm just on the last couple stages of NROLFW and about ready to hop into training for marathon #7.

With each subsequent marathon I've added more weight lifting and less running. My times dropped to 4:17 and 4:04 for marathons # 3 & 4. This past June I ran my fastest marathon ever doing 3x running per week and 2-3x lifting. I ran 3:50.

I will say that there comes a point when your running mileage is at its peak where you will have to scale back on the lifting...it just gets to be too much. I usually dropped down to just once a week during that time. I also scaled back when I was tapering because my intent was to just let my body recoup from all the training I had put it through the past few months so I would be rested and as fresh as possible when I got to the starting line.

Good luck to you!

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify this is what has worked well for me. I think everyone has to find what works for them. I, personally, am not a runner who can go out 6-7 days a week and log 60-70 miles a week. I break down. Badly. My best marathon times have been running 4 or fewer days per week and I really enjoy this 3x a week plan I'm following for the 2nd time around although the runs are intense, very pace specific and mentally can be difficult. I actually enjoy running and lifting in conjunction.....sometimes I do both on the same day, lift first, then run. Often I lift one day, run the next and then take a rest day. I find that training on "already fatigued" legs helps a lot with digging in and finding more to give in those last 6.2 miles of a marathon when the going is tough.