Bent Over Rows

Options
Hello Ladies,
I've been following the Stronglifts program since December 31st and loving it!! However, I am really struggling with the Bent Over Rows. They just feel awkward to me and I don't like them. A few weeks ago, I re-watched the videos on proper form and realized I was doing them incorrectly. I corrected my form and though they did feel a little better, they still feel awkward. :grumble:

I don't know if I am still doing something wrong or what. Anyone else feel this way about rows? Has anyone else gotten past the awkward stage of the rows?

I am wondering if I should find another exercise, perhaps using dumbbells, that work the same muscles to do in place of the rows.

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I despise rows. I never feel like I'm doing them correctly. I've been using dumbbells instead, which I like better, but I still hate doing them.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Agree. I feel awkward doing both rows and overhead press with a barbell. I think I'm gonna try dumbbells
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

I actually posted a link in the chat thread here in the group (the Bada$$ B!tches thread) to an article the Mehdi wrote in which he has a video of Glen Pendlay actually giving instruction on how to properly do a Pendlay Row. That video helped me tremendously and now I finally feel like I have it down!

Another thing is that is really helps to stack plates under the bar to raise it up a bit so you aren't using so much energy to pull the bar from the floor.

Good luck!
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

I actually posted a link in the chat thread here in the group (the Bada$$ B!tches thread) to an article the Mehdi wrote in which he has a video of Glen Pendlay actually giving instruction on how to properly do a Pendlay Row. That video helped me tremendously and now I finally feel like I have it down!

Another thing is that is really helps to stack plates under the bar to raise it up a bit so you aren't using so much energy to pull the bar from the floor.

Good luck!
    Thanks, I just found it and watched it again. This is one I have been watching for form. Watched it several times already today, hoping I can get it here with today's lift.

I do stack up the plates already because my little 5 pound weights on each end aren't big enough to let me lower the bar to the floor.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am also having problems with the row, I don't feel I am doing it right. Thanks for the heads up to the video, will have a look at it.

As for raising the bar from the floor, I saw an idea on another forum, which is to get two pieces of 4 x 4 wood and stick them together to make a block. Make two of them and they become stands for the bar at 8 inches off the floor. I got my son-in-law to make me some. Tried it yesterday and it works brilliantly. This puts the bar at roughly the same distance as if you have 45lbs weights on it. Good for the deadlift too.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everything everyone has said. I'll go check out the video when I get home tonight and see if I can improve my form...I just don't feel I'm getting the pinch in the shoulder blades.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I too have studies the video and will also correct my form. I have never fully dropped the weight to the ground for rows so it will be interesting to see how I go. Will also be interesting if any thugs come up to me to try and correct my 'form' since not many do pendlay rows.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I put my bar on recycle crates and just focused on getting my back parallel to the floor. After setting myself up and focusing on form, the pulls themselves felt pretty straightforward. I'm going to try them with actual weights next time since the bar felt pretty light to me.

I did watch the Pendlay video VegasBaby is talking about. It's super easy to understand and I don't think it gets anymore straightforward than that, really.
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I think I have it down now. I wasn't getting my back parallel to the floor, but rather trying to row in a more upright position. An MFP friend told me to make sure I am sticking my butt out and this would help get my back in the right position. It worked.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Must watch video. I KNOW my form is all jacked up because rows hurt my low back and my left bicep. I did a video to check my form (almost broke my ipod dropping it!) and I'm nowhere near parallel. Boo. Hate rows.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I know my back comes up from parallel later in the sets as I get tired. I really need to watch the video I think, because right now they just feel awkward and like they're not doing anything except providing a hamstring stretch.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My form is so messed up for these, it always feels uneven. I've used an EZ curl bar and the olympic bar and both feel weird. I might try dumbbells.
  • KillA_Beezy
    KillA_Beezy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Today I noticed that my weaker arm isn't staying out perpendicular from my torso while I was doing my full weight reps (75lbs) I stalled I may go back to 70 next time to work on form. I stalled out and feel like maybe form was to blame, it's just so hard when you aren't supposed to look at yourself in the mirror.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Today I noticed that my weaker arm isn't staying out perpendicular from my torso while I was doing my full weight reps (75lbs) I stalled I may go back to 70 next time to work on form. I stalled out and feel like maybe form was to blame, it's just so hard when you aren't supposed to look at yourself in the mirror.

Arm placement was one of the things that really had me messed on these too as I always thought your elbows are supposed to be by yours sides...elbows in type of thing. When I watched the instructional video from Pendlay, I realized that your arm placement is different using the barbell vs dumbells. That is another thing that helped me huge when getting the form down! Your elbows go out more than they stay close to your body.
  • xidia
    Options
    Could someone post that pendlay video link here please?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Pendlay talking about rows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg
  • xidia
    Options
    Thanks!