Thought on Last NIght's Episode

Options
louisey112
louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
Overall, I thought it was really good - especially the unexpected gunshot to Axel's head at the end - just when I was really starting to like him and it seemed Carol was too. The shootout scenes were the best by far.

What I don't get - and I'm taking this from another writer of which I whole-heartedly agree:

"Maggie and Glenn remain at odds, though I’m not sure why. Maybe this is just poor writing, but I’m having a really hard time believing the tension between the two. I could believe a certain level of awkwardness, and I can certainly see how both characters might fall into a funk after the assault on Maggie, the beating of Glenn, and the near-execution of them both.

But I don’t believe that Glenn is somehow blaming Maggie for what happened, or that it would be in his character to do so. Nor can I fathm Maggie’s anger toward Glenn. It makes no sense, either in the context of the situation or the characters involved. If anything, the two characters ought to have been drawn closer together, not because that’s what I’d like to see (though it is) but because of their past, their natures, and their initial attraction to one another. This squabble is contrived, a forced tension that is neither necessary or believable.:

And then there's Andrea - does she honestly believe what the Governor is telling her - can she really be THAT stupid? I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but .....

I feel bad for Hershel - all of his advice is pretty much falling on deaf ears even though he's the one making the most sense. And why didn't they have the other four people that are now at the prison in this episode at all?

Also, who do you you think was the person that drove that van full of walkers in? It looked like a girl's figure but I can't think of who it might be.

And Merle finally showed some vulnerability at the end where we find out that they were abused ... and then he sort of redeemed himself by saving Rick from that one walker - but I don't think he could ever truly be part of that group - not after what he did.

Just some of my thoughts ...

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    The people in the prison. If you watched last week you'll notice when Rick loses it screaming at Lori to get out, they think he's talking to him and run out saying Ok. So as of now ,they're gone. They left. That's why they weren't there.

Maggie and Glenn. Tough to tell. Glenn seems more mad at himself for letting what happened happen, and is taking it out on everyone, mostly himself. He didn't feel he protected her and he hates himself for it, and it shows. And Maggie seems to be upset by it all. Mad at herself for doing what she did, and mad at him because it seems like he's more mad at her than thankful. If you almost gave up your body to save the person you love, and he comes off as mad, wouldn't you be pissed too? She doesn't know what's going on in his head, or understand that he seems to be more mad at himself and is just projecting that anger. But it really shows with how much he wants to destroy the governer. It's not contrived, it's definitely something that could happen, especially when both just faced near death, then had to face the man that brought them there, and lost a good friend in the process with Daryl left.

Andrea is stupid. I've never liked her. But, I fully believe she's planning on screwing up the governers plan, she's only sticking around to find out more about what the hell is going on, plus, the people there aren't bad, he's the bad one. She cares about the people.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I think the whole Maggie and Glenn thing is about Glenn thinking Maggie got raped. It totally freaked him out and instead of comforting her after all of that he got angry and distanced himself from her...I can understand why she would be angry with him. Maybe she doesn't like the angry/vengeful side of him? I don't think he is blaming her for what happened, I just think he doesn't know how to deal with what happened, and I don't think Maggie can deal with him not being able to deal with what happened...if that makes sense haha. I dunno, I don't think the tension between them is unbelievable or forced at all.

The girl that drove the van of walkers in...I was thinking it could have been that loud-mouth brown headed girl...Karen I think is her name? The one that was guarding the wall at the beginning of the episode right when Andrea figured out the Governor had left.
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    I think that Glenn is mad at himself for not protecting Maggie and he doesn't know how to handle it. He feels like he need revenge which I dont think is an unusual thing for a man. Maggie needs to be comforted and held by him and all he can do is be angry and spiteful. In my opinion this is realistic as I feel like most men and women would behave the same way. The bad thing is now he's going to feel even more guilty because he left to find the Governor and the he returns to find the Gov has attacked the prison.

I also believe that the girl who drove the walkers through the gates was the chick standing guard earlier in the episode.

Andrea, WTF i have a love hate with her. She gets on my nerves but I think she's going to end up playing a part in the governors demise.

RIck, geez he's fallen off his rocker. He needs some sleep and a beer, lol.

Daryl and Merle: I knew Merle would end up in the prison w/ the group somehow or another. I don't think he's going to be welcome with open arms but he's there for now. Maybe he well end up like Shane, who knows.

LOVE THIS SHOW!
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The people in the prison. If you watched last week you'll notice when Rick loses it screaming at Lori to get out, they think he's talking to him and run out saying Ok. So as of now ,they're gone. They left. That's why they weren't there.

Damn - I don't remember them leaving at all :( I will have to go back and re-watch that episode - I must have missed some things!
  • devan44
    Options

Damn - I don't remember them leaving at all :( I will have to go back and re-watch that episode - I must have missed some things!

I think it was kinda left open. Rick was freaking out and kept saying get out of here. They went through a door but I thought they just went to another part of the prison. I didn't think they actually left.
  • racheljonel
    Options

I think it was kinda left open. Rick was freaking out and kept saying get out of here. They went through a door but I thought they just went to another part of the prison. I didn't think they actually left.

Robert Kirkman kinda touched on this on Talking Dead last night....he did confirm that they were not in the prison anymore and that they left after Rick flipped his *kitten* at the end of the previous episode
  • devan44
    Options

Robert Kirkman kinda touched on this on Talking Dead last night....he did confirm that they were not in the prison anymore and that they left after Rick flipped his *kitten* at the end of the previous episode

Good to know! Thanks!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I am so glad Daryl is back. I just wanted to jump into the screen and give him a big hug when i saw the scars on his back. I knew Merle would do something stupid, like trying to rob those people to make him change his mind.
    Somebody please, please kill Andrea already!!
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I loved last night's episode. My girls were upstairs laughing as I started to squeal when Daryl (and Merle ugh) came to Rick's rescue. I have found a site that gave me the spoiler of last night's episode so I knew what was goign to happen just not exactly how. I also found next week's. Lol. I hate surprises and seeing as I grew up hating zombie movies and horror movies it's the best way for me not to get freaked out!!

As for Andrea she just seems to be trying to emulate the "dumb blonde" thing. I can't believe she's that clueless. But again I know what happens next week...lol
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The arrow through the head announcing Daryl's return was fantastic. I still don't see how they can integrate Merle into the group as they've gone so far down the road of writing him as an unrepentant villain. Maybe seeing the signs of Daryl's abuse will be the turning point - but I think he needs to lay low in a separate prison block for some time before the others start to come around to his presence.

So far the folks on this thread have done a lot better job of explaining the tension between Glenn and Maggie than the writers have.

I can't say I'm enjoying Rick's madness, but I think the scene between he and Herschel was well done - especially Rick acknowledging his irrational behavior and at the same time admitting he had to let it play out. If anything, it gives the other characters time to develop since they always just followed along with Rick's orders.

I don't know what to say about Andrea. I'm becoming less and less sympathetic to her character. The best way for her to redeem herself at this point is to jab a piece of glass into The Governor's other eye, set all of Woodbury on fire, and walk out the front gate during the confusion.

Farewell Axel. Who's next?
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    Any thoughts on last night's "I Ain't a Judas" episode?

Rick held it together - that was a nice change.

Carol matter-of-factly telling Andrea to execute The Governor was great.

Not sure what it means by Andrea not following through - may mean she is fully The Governor's gal now.

I think they are actually going to try and humanize Merle and put him on the team. I didn't hate him at the end of the episode. Didn't "like" him either, but no longer wishing he dies immediately.

I'm thinking they are going to kill off another main character by the end of the season. Any thoughts on "who?"
  • cjlorigan
    Options
    I was glad to see Rick seemingly coming to his senses. Though was there a brief flash of white (Laurie) when he was looking through the binoculars?

I don't know if Andrea stopping short of killing the Gov is being his "gal" or that she's still holding out hope there can be a peaceful solution.

I agree with Merle becoming part of the group, but it's going to take him doing some major act of saving someone for it to happen (ie Carl, Judith, Beth etc).

I also agree that they are going to off another main character. I've read multiple reports where up t o2 or 3 main characters die. I'm "hoping" Andrea is one. I thin they'll keep Merle and Darryl together for a while.
  • racheljonel
    Options
    Loved seeing a bit of the old Rick back....crazy Rick was really wearing on me.

I was really holding out hope that Andrea would actually kill the Governor and you know, be helpful to the group for a change. Guess that will never happen.

Andrea needs to go....I doubt she will, but she might, since she's now betrayed both the Governor and the group at the prison. For some reason I have this feeling that Glenn's days are numbered, though.
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    To be honest, it wouldn't be that hard to lose Beth. She really hasn't added much except for the occasional haunted singing at the end of an episode. Not sure if that will be dramatic enough for the writers - I'm also feeling that Glenn is a dead man walking (hope I'm wrong).

I think it would be nice to get an occassional backstory episode (esp. Dixons, Michonne, Tyreese) so we can get a sense of character motivation - would also help pace the main storyline without being simple filler.
  • devan44
    Options
    I'm glad Rick seems to be coming back to his senses. I am sick of the Lori thing! I can't imagine that they kill Beth because she's the main caregiver for Judith. I don't think she really adds much but someone has to take care of the baby during all this. I'm not sure but I think that somehow Andrea will end up killing the Gov, maybe not in cold blood, I think she will need to see with her own eyes what a psycho he is and then she'll do it. But, I think she's going to end up being the leader of the town. The people like and respect her but I don't think it'll last too long - she's annoying as hell.

I wonder what will happen with Tyreese. I think he will end up seeing the Gov for what he is and he will be an alli to the group afterall. The 2 people with him and Sasha - they're gonna need be killed (who knows who they'll kill on their way down). I have no idea who will die. I love them all so it's gonna suck no matter who it is.

I hate to say it but I like Merle. He's funny and I think that seeing that Daryl was abused really hit home.
  • devan44
    Options
    Remeber that guy that Rick met rigth after he woke from his coma? The guy and his kid? I've alwasy felt like he'd come back at some point. Rick would use his walkie talkie to try and communicate with him at dawn for a while. I dont know it just seems all that must've happened for a reason.
  • cjlorigan
    Options
    Remeber that guy that Rick met rigth after he woke from his coma? The guy and his kid? I've alwasy felt like he'd come back at some point. Rick would use his walkie talkie to try and communicate with him at dawn for a while. I dont know it just seems all that must've happened for a reason.

You'll see him VERY soon. His name is Morgan.
  • devan44
    Options

You'll see him VERY soon. His name is Morgan.

Thanks! I've been looking for his since season 1.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    It's possible that Glenn will die. That would make it easier to keep Merle around.
    Andreea is dumb as f%4k. She now knows everything the Governor did, and still, she didn't kill him.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Merle walker = scary as *!&%!