Not Sleeping

Options
TinaBean007
TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
I've been struggling with sleep for the last couple of weeks. Between weird, vivid dreams, night sweats/temperature control issues and general insomnia, I haven't sleep through the night in at least a week. I feel like I'm doing everything right and I've never had problems sleeping before.

I'm only 10.5 weeks along, is the next 30 weeks going to be like this?

Replies

• kimberly_grubbs
    kimberly_grubbs Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had this happen a few times so far; I'm 20 weeks now. It typically ended up being days that I didn't workout, or if I took off more than one day in a row. Now I pretty much wake up at 4am every single morning, lay around and hope to fall back to sleep.

Has anything changed in your routine at all? Maybe even something you're eating that's just throwing you off? Sometimes its hard to pinpoint. =(
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've had insomnia since the beginning. I'm 36 weeks and had some form of insomnia most nights. There's only been a handful my entire pregnancy when I was able to sleep through the night (or fall asleep right after I use the bathroom at least twice anyway). I tried a lot of things and nothing works. It doesn't seem to matter what I do. I am counting down the days until I can sleep again. At least with a newborn, I'll be able to nap more. Napping at work is kind of frowned upon :) Weird, I know :)
  • rabbit__food
    rabbit__food Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've had insomnia since the beginning. I'm 36 weeks and had some form of insomnia most nights. There's only been a handful my entire pregnancy when I was able to sleep through the night (or fall asleep right after I use the bathroom at least twice anyway). I tried a lot of things and nothing works. It doesn't seem to matter what I do. I am counting down the days until I can sleep again. At least with a newborn, I'll be able to nap more. Napping at work is kind of frowned upon :) Weird, I know :)

This is basically my same story too. I'm 36 weeks, 4 days and have not slept well since close to the beginning. It doesn't matter how exhausted I am, I just can't seem to fall sleep or stay asleep. I've tried tylenol pm a few times and it helps a little, but not enough for me to continue using it all the time.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    A cool air humidifier and fan blowing on me seem to help. There are just some nights I have to find a different place to sleep. Sometimes the couch works better or one of the recliners. A hot shower before bed seems to help too.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I had this happen a few times so far; I'm 20 weeks now. It typically ended up being days that I didn't workout, or if I took off more than one day in a row. Now I pretty much wake up at 4am every single morning, lay around and hope to fall back to sleep.

Has anything changed in your routine at all? Maybe even something you're eating that's just throwing you off? Sometimes its hard to pinpoint. =(

I can't think of anything. I stopped caffeine over a month ago. I'm going to try lower the temp in my room and going to bed very early. I see to wake up around the same time, 4am, so maybe I can get in my sleep before then.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, I wake up at 4ish regardless of how tired I am. I try to go to sleep as early as I can (after putting my son to sleep). I didn't have this the first pregnancy. I could sleep and sleep and sleep.
  • vegasmari
    vegasmari Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm at 33 weeks and not sleeping. I'll get up to pee in the middle of the night (b/w 1am and 3am) and can't fall back asleep. 10 weeks seems a bit early for insomnia. My doctor had recommended benadryl, but i wouldn't touch it in the 1st trimester and ask your doctor about your symptoms so early, it's gotta be something else doing it to you.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Since I was 7 weeks pregnant, (I am now 19), I get up at least 2 times to pee during the middle of the night, if not 3 or 4. I am lucky if I get more than 6 hours of sleep per night, and never more than 2-3 hrs at a time before I need to go to the bathroom. It plain sucks! I have tried not drinking after dinner time, I dont do caffeine, so thats not an issue, and nothing has helped me....
  • kori333
    kori333 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm a horrible sleeper when not pregnant but the insomnia is way worse when I am. My last pregnancy I took half a unison for the last trimester every night and it made a big difference. I've been doing the same thing for this pregnancy since I started having trouble around 6 weeks (plus it was recommended for nausea.) I still wake up to pee every night but I can actually fall back asleep afterwards! It's great, especially since I have 3 other kids who need mom to not be a grouchy mess the next day. (Okay, I'm still that sometimes!) My midwives and doctors have all said it's fine. I stop once the baby comes without any issues. It's a lifesaver for me!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    A cool air humidifier and fan blowing on me seem to help. There are just some nights I have to find a different place to sleep. Sometimes the couch works better or one of the recliners. A hot shower before bed seems to help too.

^This.

We have a tower fan in our bedroom that makes just enough white noise to drown out all the other crap (heat or AC turning on, neighbors' car doors, etc.). I've been having issues with not being able to fall asleep once woken up pretty much since the beginning of this pregnancy. Since this is my second, it's all the more painful because even on weekends my son still wakes up early, sometimes before 6, and although he's fine playing in his crib until I come get him 99% of the time (if he cries I go get him), he is still making noise on the monitor that keeps me awake.

So unfortunately this may last your whole pregnancy. I'm 26 weeks now and haven't gotten a break :/

There were a couple of nights that I woke up around 3 and tossed and turned for an hour before deciding to just go downstairs. I fall asleep better with the TV on, so I just put on some random movie and fell asleep on the couch (I just had to remember to turn off my alarm clock and set my cell phone alarm instead).

Last night I took a shower before bed, and I slept AWESOME. The alarm went off at 6:15 and was actually pretty jarring because I was sleeping so hard.

Also, because once I'm up and doing something I have such a hard time falling back asleep, I stop drinking water past 8PM to avoid the need to pee in the middle of the night. Even at 26 weeks I still don't get up to pee, and I had something like 90 oz of water yesterday.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I have the same issue, I wake up at 4ish regardless of how tired I am. I try to go to sleep as early as I can (after putting my son to sleep). I didn't have this the first pregnancy. I could sleep and sleep and sleep.

It helps when you don't have another child waking up at the crack of dawn, especially on weekends! :wink:
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I'm at 33 weeks and not sleeping. I'll get up to pee in the middle of the night (b/w 1am and 3am) and can't fall back asleep. 10 weeks seems a bit early for insomnia. My doctor had recommended benadryl, but i wouldn't touch it in the 1st trimester and ask your doctor about your symptoms so early, it's gotta be something else doing it to you.

With my last pregnancy, my doctor recommended Ambien once I hit the third trimester. I always turned it down, but every appointment she offered it to me. She has yet to offer it this time (my next appointment will be third trimester for me, finally), but I think I may take her up on it!

Benadryl was on the approved list of medications from my OB, but I wouldn't take anything in the first trimester to be safe. I only took Tylenol and only if my headache was really that bad. Otherwise I only took my prenatal vitamin and my Expecta DHA supplement.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My sleeping woes started recently, around week 27. My husband got me a Snoogle pillow (basically a body pillow) and that has definitely helped. Also, my prenatal yoga instructor who is also a doula recommended something like "RenewSleep" or "RenuSleep" (I haven't gotten it yet and am probably misremembering -but she said you could find it at Whole Foods, so try asking a consultant there if you have a store nearby). Another crunchier prenatal yoga instructor recommended moisturizing with sesame oil before bed. I tried that last night and slept ok, so maybe it worked, or maybe I just had a lucky night. Anyway, that's what I've tried or heard about so far.
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I second the snoogle, or even just a body pillow. Makes a huge difference! I have been sleeping with mine since 8 weeks this time around :bigsmile: . I still have nights where I cant sleep, but generally if I shower before bed and have the fan on I sleep great 90% of the time, even with getting up 2x a night to pee. The shower before bed will lower your body temperature so you fall asleep faster :smile: . Ill be 28 weeks on Saturday and it is getting harder to get comfy, but I do the best I can and use my hubby when needed to get comfy, he is like an extra pillow for me!
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's normal!! I pretty much haven't been able to sleep through the night since I found out I was pregnant and I'm 27 weeks now. Most of the time I can fall asleep after getting up to go to the bathroom, but that's usually 3-5 times a night! The plus side is I haven't been retaining a lot of water. Also, sometimes no matter how much I eat, I still wake up hungry at night, usually in combination with the baby kicking really hard (which also keeps me up!). And it is really hard to regulate the temperature. I wake up hot, so I turn the heat off, then I wake up cold so I have to turn the heat back up. I guess all of this prepares us for waking up for our precious babies!!