HOW IS SLC?

Options
I currently live in California but am looking at U of U for grad school.

How is SLC? Is the town lively? Lots to do? Downtown fun? (I am not particularly social...too busy and tired but I do like to be around liveliness to vicariously feel alive through my surroundings). Crime? Cost of living? lots of farmers markets? grocery stores? gyms? cafes?

Let a girl know!

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Salt Lake City is a very "family friendly" area. Crime is probably a little better than average when compared to other urban areas. The cost of living is significantly lower than most areas of California. Up near the U of U there are quite a few things to do. It is close to the canyons where there are many hiking, and biking trails, ski resorts, fishing, camping, etc.

Due to the shape of the Salt Lake valley, during winter months we have quite a few inversions, where it is quite unhealthy to be outside. If you suffer from respiratory problems, you should probably avoid Salt Lake. The air quality can be really bad.

While there are a few liberal minded people in Salt Lake, The state, overall is very politically conservative, which can drive a more liberal mind nuts. (many of their drinking laws make no sense, and the LDS church has quite a bit if influence in political decisions.)

I believe there are a few farmers markets, gyms, and cafes in the area, but I live on the West side of the valley, so I am not near the U.

Good luck in Grad School.
  • Jeffersz
    Options
    Crime. It does exist, but is low to the national average.
    Shopping: Gobs.
    Eateries: Gobs and more gobs.
    Gyms: Check. Including one @ the U
    Farmers Markets: Check. Quite a few downtown, not sure about winter time though.

My wife and I had a house in Rohnert Park for a while (she's from San Fran), the cost of living doesn't even compare to that part of California. Very affordable here in SLC. The U of U area is also very typical to a campus setting, and any thoughts about SLC being anything but a large city should be dismissed. The downtown area close to the U has quite a lively night life too, but like many cities in the nation, it can be extremely quiet after 2AM, we do sleep!

I agree (and reiterate) the other comments:

The political atmosphere is very conservative, yes mainly due to the LDS influence. While the liquor laws are a bit strange, they have been slowly migrating since the hosting of the 2002 Olympics, though foreigners do find them incredibly bizarre.

Winter can be nasty, that's a capitol N. A. S. T. Y. The high pressure systems build up, and the air quality quickly develops into the worst in the nation. The only solution is a low pressure storm to come blow it all out of the valley. Skiiers use this as an extra motivation to get to the mountains as much as possible.

If you appreciate the outdoors I'd suggest also researching Utah in general if you are seriouosly considering. We have some of the most amazing, beautiful and diverse scenery in every corner of the state, which offers activities every day of the year.

My $0.02.

Good luck in making your decision, and much success to you in school and the future!