Harden the *kitten* Up - Power Cleans

Options
chris1816
chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
Stronglifts is a popular lifting routine on this site, very popular. Why is it so popular (aside from being heavily and obnoxiously advertised by a silly Belgian) over something like Starting Strength?

Because it's simple, and it doesn't ask you to do Power Cleans.

Power Cleans are scary! They do those in the Olympics! They're fast! A clean one time beat my cousin to within an inch of his life and left him on the sidewalk in a puddle composed of urine and shame!

Cleans and most Olympic style lifts such as the snatch are typically viewed by most folks with reservation and fear, unless they have a preexisting erection (or are pre-moistened, ladies) for Crossfit. However these lifts offer training that most programs never touch on; speed, explosiveness, and coordination. If I were to categorize the both vocalized and un-vocalized fears associated with trying to perform a clean on your own I would rank them as follows:

1) I'm going to hit myself in the face with a barbell.

2) I will get the form wrong and hurt myself.

3) I'm going to hit myself in the face with a barbell.

4) I will look like an idiot trying to do these in the gym, and I will not be able to control the weight, drop it, make a loud noise, and have to flee the gym and never come back.

5) I'm going to hit myself in the f*cking face with a f*cking barbell.

Power Cleans are one of the most efficient anaerobic exercises you can do. It works the entire body, improves coordination, explosiveness, core strength etc. You want to be able to jump higher? Power clean. Strong core? Power clean. Explosive speed? Power clean. You want to address flexibility issues, make yourself a more confident lifter, and feel like a f*cking god? Power clean.

Power Cleans are a very technical lift compared to things like even the squat or deadlift, it is very much a gap bridging exercise between lifting for just pure fitness, and becoming a bit more athletic as a whole. They are synergistic to those aforementioned lifts as well as they combine movements from both in addition to the unique mechanics of the clean. What muscles does a Power Clean work? Almost everything, even arms slightly; however the emphasis is on the posterior chain (legs, back etc) as well as core. It will also generally train you to exert coordinated force with multiple muscles to execute a movement with multiple joints, as well as train balance.

You do not need rubber bumper plates to do cleans either. In most cases you will be doing a light enough weight you can lower it in a controlled manner; and the stronger you get the more weight you can control. I perform power cleans every week with iron plates in my gym.

Can you and should you try power cleans on your own? Absolutely. Many trainers in commercial gyms will either have no clue how to do a power clean or be scared to teach them.

As with any lift, it is about proper preparation, research, and paying a mind to form before progressing in weight. Don't be scared to try these, but play it f*cking safe. As such, I'll run through the lift in the way it is broken down on EXRX.net from this section: (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/PowerClean.html)

Preparation

Stand over barbell with balls of feet positioned under bar pointing foward, hip width's apart or slightly wider. Squat down and grip bar with over hand grip slightly wider than shoulder width (thumbs length from ends of knerlings on Olympic bar). Position shoulders over bar with back arched tightly. Arms are straight with elbows pointed along bar.

Execution

Pull bar up off floor by extending hips and knees. As bar reaches knees vigorously raise shoulders while keeping barbell close to thighs. When barbell passes mid-thigh, allow it to contact thighs. Jump upward extending body. Shrug shoulders and pull barbell upward with arms allowing elbows to flex out to sides, keeping bar close to body. Aggressively pull body under bar, rotating elbows around bar. Catch bar on shoulders before knees bend lower than 90°. Stand up immediately so thighs ride no lower than parallel to floor.

Return

Bend knees slightly and lower barbell to mid-thigh position. Slowly lower bar with taut lower back and trunk close to vertical. The advanced athlete may unload (drop) bar from completed position (as shown). This technique may be practiced to reduce stress or fatigue involved in lowering bar as prescribed. Use rubber weightlifting plates on weightlifting platform if this unloading method is used (unless floor demolition is desired).

(Visit the above link to see a visual demonstration as well)

In addition to the above website's technical instruction, Glenn Pendlay and the folks at California Strength did an amazing tutorial that breaks down the clean into multiple components to be able to learn how to do it. It even provides mobility exercises to help with things such as the rack position. Keep in mind this is teaching the Clean, not just the Power Clean, but all points are still relevant. The key difference with a power clean is that on the catch, you will not drop into a full front squat. Your legs must not go lower than 90 degrees:

Clean, Part 1, How To, Olympic Weightlifting ( http://youtu.be/mEyoH5FV03s )
Clean, Part 2, How To, Olympic Weightlifting ( http://youtu.be/_AaSNARQPfE )
Clean, Part 3, How To, Olympic Weightlifting ( http://youtu.be/WHuiw4GvB0g )

Other Useful **** Relevant To Cleans from Cal Strength:

Lower Body Flexibility For Weightlifting ( http://youtu.be/uwLM5n-rYmA )
Upper Body Flexibility for Olympic Weightlifting ( http://youtu.be/XKLVlYt2Ioc )
Hip Mobility Stretches ( http://youtu.be/lgdeL7-xXGM )

Mark Rippetoe also has some material online touching on Power Cleans in relation to the Starting Strength program:

Bar Position for Jump ( http://youtu.be/sF_15q2vaEk )
Moar Jumping Position ( http://youtu.be/6tXcS0Xp1aE )

*EDIT*

The below is an awesome breakdown of training progression for a Clean, giving you each step to master if you cannot nail down the form initially:

http://functionalresistancetraining.com/exercises/clean-progression

With the above material, you really have everything you need to get started on playing with these lifts if you so choose (and you f*cking should). If you are on Stronglifts I am not telling you to abandon the program; you have a valid method of progression that has been working for you. Consider nonetheless giving this lift a try and possibly adding it to your routine as an addition for speed and explosive power training. Do not be afraid to attempt this, and just play it safe. Practice form, watch yourself, drill this lift again and again. Focus on form and precision before increasing weights. The more comfortable you become, the easier time you will have overcoming the mental roadblocks that come with this lift and you may find you enjoy the everliving *kitten* out of cleans.

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    So, it has been confirmed. I AM a visual learner. Read your descriptions and while I know they are accurate, I am pretty sure I would end with my body upside down and the barbell God knows where. I will check out the videos and consider doing these. I'm resting this week - will try them next week. They sound so awesome!

Thanks for your ever flowing info. You rock. :drinker:
  • emmalee16
    Options
    #1: chris is obscene.

#2: I like it.

#3: this is definitely more easily grasped with a visual aid, but let me just say If I Can Do It, Anyone Can Do It. Especially since chris had me trying these what, the second time lifting in my entire life? It's 70% mental, 10% 'omg all these beastly guys are watching me try to be a badass' and 20% physically difficult.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Chris, you have amazing timing :smile: :smile:

I am having problems with the pendlay row in that it just does not feel right and I cannot really understand what muscles it should be using, despite watching and watching the videos etc. It just feels really awkward.

I watched Rippetoe teaching the power clean this morning, but then chickened out and decided to still do my pendley row. I deloaded the weight a bit and found it a bit better, but still awkward and don't like it. Having read your information, I am going to try out the power cleans instead and see what happens.

Thank you :drinker:
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Chris you truly have a way with words. :laugh:

I fear # 4, but will take a look at the videos this week, get over my reservations of looking like a complete *kitten* and give those a try.

Thanks for another great post.
  • chris1816
    Options
    Chris you truly have a way with words. :laugh:

I fear # 4, but will take a look at the videos this week, get over my reservations of looking like a complete *kitten* and give those a try.

Thanks for another great post.

th.jpg
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump!!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Thanks for planting this seed in my brain. I am going to learn and do these sometime very soon :bigsmile:
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

th.jpg

Oh good!
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I plan to ask my PT if he will teach me power cleans at some point. I'd like to do them but I am a being a chicken about giving them a try all by myself. :blushing:
  • chris1816
    Options
    I plan to ask my PT if he will teach me power cleans at some point. I'd like to do them but I am a being a chicken about giving them a try all by myself. :blushing:

Very few PTs will A) Know how to train a clean and B) Be willing to teach it to someone as it is a very technical lift and they don't want to be responsible.

They are honestly very easy to learn on your own, just watch as much visual reference material as possible.
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options

Very few PTs will A) Know how to train a clean and B) Be willing to teach it to someone as it is a very technical lift and they don't want to be responsible.

They are honestly very easy to learn on your own, just watch as much visual reference material as possible.
    My PT is a competivie lifter so I was thinking he would know. He's talked about them and power snatch lifts a few times while discussing deadlifts. I'm at least gonna run it by him.

Though, I'm not opposed to teaching myself by watching the videos you recommend. That was how I started SL. :) I'm just being a chicken because it "looks" complicated.