Yummy Recipe!! Great Cookbook!

Options
COLLARD GREEN ROLLS WITH ASIAN DIPPING SAUCE

My children would eat burritos for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let them. We fill them with a variety of clean ingredients (even leftovers!), but I wanted a healthier alternative to all of those tortillas. When I presented collard greens as wrappers, I got some curious looks. After that first taste, they were sold!
INGREDIENTS
1 cup short grain brown rice
2 cups water
1 thumb-size piece kombu
6 medium collard green leaves
1 large leek
2 cups shiitake mushrooms
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon tamari
1 cup julienned carrots
1 cup julienned daikon
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
DIPPING SAUCE
3 tablespoons tamari
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon toasted or hot sesame oil
1 teaspoon brown rice vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
PREPARING RICE AND DIPPING SAUCE

Place rice in medium pot or rice cooker. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered until liquid is absorbed (about 30 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside. In small bowl, whisk together all dipping sauce ingredients and set aside.
PREPARING ROLLS

In medium pot, bring 3 inches water to boil. Turn off heat and one at a time, holding the collard leaves by their stems, submerge leaves in boiling water for 3-5 seconds each (or until just bright green), and set aside. Repeat until all greens are lightly blanched.

Cut leek in half length-wise and then into ½-inch half-circles. Remove and discard stems from mushrooms and slice caps into strips. In large cast-iron skillet over medium heat, sauté leeks and shiitake mushrooms in olive oil until soft (about 5 minutes). Add tamari and stir. Add carrots and daikon and continue sautéing. If ingredients stick, deglaze pan by adding 1 tablespoon water at a time as needed. When carrots are just soft and bright orange, remove from heat and set aside.

Place one collard green on cutting board, and spread a heaping tablespoon of brown rice across the widest part of the leaf, leaving ½-inch clean along each edge. Top with a small scoop of mushroom mixture and then with a slice of avocado. Roll collard leaf sushi-roll style by folding sides of leaf in first, and then rolling the rest of the leaf towards the stem to enclose stuffing. Cut off and discard remaining stem. Continue assembly until all ingredients are used. Serve with dipping sauce.

MAKES 6 rolls