Options
Hello I am new to crossfit and just venturing into the paleo diet after being vegan for four years. Just looking for some friends for support!!! Absolutely loving my 5 am class at my local cross fit. I teach the Sunday yoga recovery class there and am also a Pilates instructor at our local rec center. Looking forward to getting to know more of you!!!

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am sure you will love to hate to love it!
  • Pilatesgirl72
    Pilatesgirl72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Already there after this mornings 5am workout!!!! Love it
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Welcome....vegan to paleo seems quite a jump
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

lol i was thinking the same thing - wow!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options

I was thinking that, too! Welcome! What prompted the big diet change?

Personally, I don't subscribe to the paleo diet advocated by Crossfit (I'm a vegetarian so it doesn''t mesh well with my ethics). How many others on here eat paleo because of Crossfit?
  • Pilatesgirl72
    Pilatesgirl72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well let's see I was never a big meat eater and dairy always bothered me so I just decided that veganism was the right thing for me. I felt great for a year or so, but not being a responsible vegan( getting adequate protein, B12 etc), I was noticing my lack of energy along with muscle loss. I mean I went from running two half marathons one month apart in the fall of 2011 to not being able to run a 5k without feeling lethargic spring 2012. I am SLOWLY adding meat back into my diet, chicken, turkey, eggs, fish. It has been 2 months and I am already feeling better. I started cross fit as a way to get stronger on this journey to getting healthier and feeling better. :)
    Oh yeah not perfectly paleo....still eat popcorn just about every night. It's my fav
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I got into Crossfit after eating paleo for a few months!

Honestly, it''s made such a huge difference in my world, I kinda want to grab everyone I know by their shoulders and give them a shake and say "Eat this way!"

And...now that I've been doing Crossfit for the past month, I want to do the same thing, but say "Work out this way with me!"

Sorry, I'm obnoxious. But it's too good not to share!
  • kelr0110
    Options

Honestly, it''s made such a huge difference in my world, I kinda want to grab everyone I know by their shoulders and give them a shake and say "Eat this way!"

And...now that I've been doing Crossfit for the past month, I want to do the same thing, but say "Work out this way with me!"

LOL omg you are awesome. I thought I used too many exclamation points sometimes - but I'm glad i'm not the only one!

I really need to make this paleo shift - i have a snazzy new cookbook coming that someone from here recommended called practical paleo...i beleive it was vulcangreen or sasquatch....but anyway, yeah. looking forward to it :)

i have always been a giant bread/popcorn/sweets junkie, so idk if i can fathom the thought of cutting everything. i was always about the motto "all things in moderation" and it has worked in the past for me, but who knows.....
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that I have a similar story and was a vegetarian for about 3 years before eventually having to add meat back in due to no energy during marathon training and just not getting enough protein. I started super slow just with a little bit of chicken here and there about 2 years ago. I didn't start eating red meat again until like the last year and still don't eat a ton. I have been about 90% Paleo for the last 6 months and am in the middle of a whole30 and feel amazing. Not only are my crossfit workouts getting better, but my running times have all improved to despite putting in less than half the miles i'm used to. I was shocked when I ran a 10 mile race with a time faster than when I was training for the Boston marathon. Feel free to add me
  • Scar1964
    Scar1964 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

LOL omg you are awesome. I thought I used too many exclamation points sometimes - but I'm glad i'm not the only one!

I really need to make this paleo shift - i have a snazzy new cookbook coming that someone from here recommended called practical paleo...i beleive it was vulcangreen or sasquatch....but anyway, yeah. looking forward to it :)

i have always been a giant bread/popcorn/sweets junkie, so idk if i can fathom the thought of cutting everything. i was always about the motto "all things in moderation" and it has worked in the past for me, but who knows.....

If I can do Paleo (minus a few beers), then you can do it. You will feel awesome.
  • MissXFit13
    Options

Oh man, thanks for calling me out on the exclamation points. That really shows how obnoxious I am! (There I go again).

Practical Paleo is the best paleo cookbook and resource out there. I have made tons of recipes from it, they've all turned out to be delicious. I'm buying a copy for my family who want to get healthy, and even though they aren't paleo, I think they'd be interested to learn more and once they try this way of cooking, I think they'll be hooked.

I used to be a huge carb-o-vore. I loved oatmeal, pizza, bread, bagels, muffins, cookies, cereal, etc. I am a runner so I could always justify those grain treats as "fuel" for my next long run. But I was gaining weight eating that way, even when I was running 5-6 days a week. A calorie isn't a calorie. And "everything in moderation" never worked for me either. I debated swtiching to paleo for months before trying it (I thought I'd never survive without my morning oatmeal or bread sticks). And now I look and feel incredible, and those foods I listed have no power over me anymore. Ick.
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 80% paleom100% of the time :-) I love bread. LOVE it. I'm pretty good about it but the difference is I no longer have the "calorie is a calorie" mindset. I'll still eat maybe a serving of breads per day and maybe two or three beers a week
  • kelr0110
    Options
    I'm 80% paleom100% of the time :-) I love bread. LOVE it. I'm pretty good about it but the difference is I no longer have the "calorie is a calorie" mindset. I'll still eat maybe a serving of breads per day and maybe two or three beers a week

Beeeeeeeeeeeeer that's my other thing. There is nothing like it after getting off the ice after a game and grabbing a beer with your teammates. UGH lol.

Kerrek don't stress about the exclamation points, you are awesome lol. Thank you for your input. I bet if I can just buy all my supplies and do the change strict for a week at least I will feel a difference big time.
  • MissXFit13
    Options
    Yeah, I live in Milwaukee, WI, the land of BEER. Beer is like holy water here. I do partake every once in a while, and I have no problem with that!
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    welcome!! I was vegan for 5years (even interned with PETA and all that) and vegetarian for 3 years. Now I've been paleo for 6months and started crossfit almost 2 months ago. I have NEVER felt better in my life!!