How warm for you to get back outside running or cycling?

Options
I've ran outside twice this winter in 20-30 degree weather... the last time it was slushy in a few places - which went right through my vibram komodo's....
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLKCOiDAfj8cLSwwTq478Mnhxod0YnKkoUlhJFU2IvWAI5pIvC

So I had to cut the run short by about half because my toes were so numb.... since then, I've been treadmilling it - although there's been a couple days I've been tempted - there haven't been too many "nice days" with the crazy Indiana weather, and when they have been nice, it hasn't fit my schedule... I'm really anxious to get back out.

So, when are YOU planning on getting out?

Replies

• rjneeley
    rjneeley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was out on Monday, but it was in the 50s. Did 4.625 miles in about 1.3 hours (fast walk). Wasn't freezing, but needed a hat. Not warm enough to take off the jacket either. I guess when it's like that, I'll be out. Right now, with wind chills near zero, I'm staying IN!!!
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm one of the crazies - will be out tonight with Indy Runner's - will just be adding enough layers to stay comfortable. Have the warm socks and gloves ready - coldest run so far this year was about 12 - even then my gloves were off by the end!
  • renturne
    Options
    No much of I runner or cycler (don' t even know if that's a word) but I've been walking everyday, all winter..2 miles, about 40 mins or so.
  • mulsas
    mulsas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to run once a week through this winter, I have been able to get out most weekends. The coldest was probably upper 20's. Did the treadmill at the gym once, don't want to go back. It's boring, I get too hot and sweaty, then have to get bundled up to go back out to the car, didn't like it at all. Never really enjoyed running before, but have been able to tolerate it just so I can get outside.

Really enjoy cycling, with the gear I own I am good down to around 40. Once that weather shows up on a weekend, I will be out.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I was in Finland until early January and ran below 0F on a number of occasions (coldest air temp was -13F, windchill was -29F). So the weather here in Indy seems mild in comparison!

Good clothes are the key. Base layers, outer layers, a good jacket and/or vest. Just about any hat and gloves did it for me, as long as they covered my head and hands. And I've never needed thick socks--my regular thin tech socks were fine even in the coldest temps. My feet just don't get cold when I run. I don't care for balaclavas, but I used one twice, I think, for more face protection.

Luckily, there we had a sauna to come home to...
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    you're all making me feel like a wimp! I thought I was doing good getting out on 20-30 degree days :) I actually think I would have been fine if not for the slush though... I think they have some Vibrams that are more water resistant.. I need to look into those...
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    I've become a wimp since we bought our treadmill. The wind is what really bothers me- more so than the cold.

Angie
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've been running (ok, run/walking, I just got up to being able to run 3 miles without stopping) all winter, usually at night. I find about 25 -30 is my favorite temp. But I'm originally from Minnesota and I think ice runs in my veins. =)
  • jobryan4
    jobryan4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've been able to get out on a few of the nice days for short runs. And I don't mind running in the 30s but I don't enjoy it below that, I don't care for dealing with the slush either. I agree about the wind, too. For biking I'll wait for it to be warmer (50s?) but really looking forward to getting on the bike..
  • yayasma
    yayasma Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a wimp. I don't run outside until its 70+. The hotter the better. I give up running from late October to May.

I admire people who run outside when there's snow on the ground and it's below freezing, that is true dedication.
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    i made it outside today for a 2.3 mile run! yay! (not as far or as fast as I would have went on my own, but dragging my 12 year old along with me was worth it :)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a wimp. I don't run outside until its 70+. The hotter the better. I give up running from late October to May.

I admire people who run outside when there's snow on the ground and it's below freezing, that is true dedication.
    You're like my exact opposite! I used to run October-May and then stop when it got hot. 70 is when it starts getting uncomfortable for me.

For the last two years I've forced myself to run at least some during the summer, so I don't lose my running fitness completely, but I have yet to manage anything like the mileage I can do when it's cool and cold.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've been running outside all winter. I've found that anything below 20 degrees is uncomfortable, especially if it's windy. Above 20, and I'm game :)

I can't stand the heat though - it about did me in last summer. Anything above 70, and I'm dying. I'm at peak performance when it's 40-50 degrees.
  • amc119
    amc119 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not a "runner" by any definition of the word, but I leave for military training in 4 days, so I've been running outside since January to help myself out a bit. I used to think it was cold, but actually I find that anything above 25 is great!
  • charman99
    charman99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would love to be out walking the dog right now....but I am stuck inside with no windows at work...
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    I'm definitely not a "runner" by any definition of the word, but I leave for military training in 4 days, so I've been running outside since January

You run..... ergo you are a runner.... period. :)
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    I got out and ran in the light falling snow today.... It was beautiful.. (and no wind to speak of - so very comfortable with a few layers)
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    Too cold for me. Doing everything inside at the Y. I can't wait until Spring...at least high 40's - 50's are here!
  • runningmamaof2
    Options
    Unless it is super cold or really icy(I grew up in Iowa so my definition of cold is different than most Indiana natives), I run outside. I can't stand the dreadmill so running outdoors is my preference.
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    Unless it is super cold or really icy(I grew up in Iowa so my definition of cold is different than most Indiana natives), I run outside. I can't stand the dreadmill so running outdoors is my preference.

Is Iowa colder than Indiana? I thought they were pretty much the same latitude....