Rocky Raccoon 50 Mile, 2/2/2012 Huntsville, TX

Options
aldousmom
aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
I wrote a bit about my experience running my first 50 mile race.

Here's the deal: I ran a 50k in Dec, then had holidays, the flu for 2 wks-ish, then half way thru Jan half-assedly started training for a trail marathon 10wks away (then ..it's in 3?? wks now). I got up to 15 miles one saturday, woke up the next day and registered to run a 50 mile race that was 6 days away.

So, this is what happens when you run an ultra you haven't trained for. ;) Actually, the only hard part was the new mileage and the dark on the last 20k . I PRed my 50k time.

so, anyway, here it is! Not much about the course, b/c the course was easy.
http://aldousmom.tumblr.com/post/43576576730/rocky-raccoon-50-miles-recap

Replies

• jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    ROTFL! Sounds familiar. Last summer I was back to a base building phase after an injury and had only gotten up to a long run of 19 miles. Pretty much on a whim I decided to do this 12 hour the following week. I figured if I felt terrible I could just stop after one of the laps and call it a day. I reached each milestone – half, full, 50k feeling okay so decided to keep going until I hit 50 miles which I did in 10:20. At the time it was my 2nd 50 miler. Luckily this was a fairly easy course with only 4,000 feet of elevation gain, not one of the typical monster hill courses around here that double or triple that amount of gain or I wouldn’t have attempted it. Not a training strategy I would generally recommend but it is interesting what our bodies can do. And I felt completely fine afterwards. It was kind of amazing and surprising actually.

Congratulations!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    ROTFL! Sounds familiar. Last summer I was back to a base building phase after an injury and had only gotten up to a long run of 19 miles. Pretty much on a whim I decided to do this 12 hour the following week. I figured if I felt terrible I could just stop after one of the laps and call it a day. I reached each milestone – half, full, 50k feeling okay so decided to keep going until I hit 50 miles which I did in 10:20. At the time it was my 2nd 50 miler. Luckily this was a fairly easy course with only 4,000 feet of elevation gain, not one of the typical monster hill courses around here that double or triple that amount of gain or I wouldn’t have attempted it. Not a training strategy I would generally recommend but it is interesting what our bodies can do. And I felt completely fine afterwards. It was kind of amazing and surprising actually.

Congratulations!

obviously, we're idiots. I was perfectly fine the next morning, too, but the woman who crewed for me was limping b/c of her blister! ha ha! boy THAT was funny!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting - really enjoyed reading that!