How many calories?

LO is 6 months now and we are starting to introduce solids, but she is still nursing full time. How many calories do you nursing mama's allow yourself? I want to lose some weight, but don't want to risk losing my supply. What worked for you? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Hi! my daughter is 61/2 months and she gets solids once a day. I had this question also so im interested to see what people say. I allow myself 400 calories for breastfeeding because shes only eating solids once so i figure 400 would be good and didnt wanna risk loosing supply. I eat about 1800 cals a day and have been loosing 2 pounds a week. I was worried at first of loosing my supply but it has been great so far. I also drink a ton of water! I think you just have to find what works for you.i hear that nursing a 9 month old still take 200-300 cals so 400 is probably a good guess. Good luck with your weight loss!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    I'm adding 500 for exclusively breastfeeding. I have a really hungry little man, so when we introduce some solids, I'll probably keep with the 500 calories - I wouldn't be surprised if I'm actually using more than that to keep my milk factory in high gear.

I eat about 2100 calories per day (breastfeeding included). I don't have a lot to lose, so I'm not working with a huge deficit.

It's a delicate numbers game for all of us. Best thing to do is start with a higher amount of calories to keep your supply up, then reduce a bit. If you notice your supply drop, you know you can't go that low.

Good luck :smile:
  • HI, I have a baby who is almost 4 months old and is breastfeeding. I allow myself about 1700-1800 calories a day, when I initially did this I noticed my milk supply did decrease some but after a few days it regulated itself again. I also started taking Fenugreek Seed to help with the supply. It is now good again and I make sure to throw in some additional exercise here and there also to boost weight loss