Winter in the STL

Options
This is only my second winter in St. Louis, but it always cracks me up how hysterical everyone gets over the potential for snow and some freezing rain. I understand that the city generally doesn't have the infrastructure to handle a massive winter storm, but coming from a place that regularly gets more than 100 inches of snow a year, the madness always strikes me as humorous. Everyone in my office is running around, desperate to leave before the snow starts around noon. You'd think a hurricane was coming the way they're scampering about.

That said, I'll gladly spend the afternoon working from my couch :D

Be safe people!

Replies

• shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at how just in the last year or two they have started calling off school the day before the weather has even hit. How are they so sure that it will happen as badly as they predict.
  • CathyDW95
    Options
    I hate winter, but family and friends are here, so here I am! That said, the winters around here aren't nearly as bad as they were when I was a kid. My birthday is in February, and it was always snowing, blowing, freezing cold and nasty out way back when. Now it's not so bad. I remember my 18th birthday - my sister and her husband took me out to the Old Spaghetti Factory in St. Louis. I was determined to wear heels and a dress. For those familiar with Laclede's Landing, it's tough enough in heels when it's Spring walking down those cobblestones, much less trying to navigate those streets in heels and it's icy, too. I managed somehow. Call it a teenager's dumb luck. :)
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I thought it was funny, slightly embarrassing how all the local news channels had a full staff with 24hr. coverage. A friend of mine from Minneapolis was laughing at coverage about how all the grocery stores shelves got emptied because of the winter storm moving in. A dusting as he called it. I work for a school district so it was nice to have a four day weekend.
  • JamieA8
    JamieA8 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    LOL.... I was one of those people frantically running around trying to leave before noon! I hate the snow! :happy:
  • hampstenj
    hampstenj Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Everyone says it all goes back to a blizzard that surprised the city back in 1982, ever since then at the littlest sight of snow in the weather forecast everyone floods Schnucks and Dierbergs to get the bread and stuff... I think it's kind of funny myself, now granted that most of us can't even drive well in the rain most of the time in STL (seriously what's up with that anyway???) that we really cant do snow at all... it's kind of amusing to this rural person
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have family in both Denver and Minnesota and they think we're p*ssies. :)