Teething

Options
MrsCarter00
MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
Jax is not quite 2 1/2 months now but lately he's been drooling and gumming his hands. I've felt around on his gums and on the top there's a hard spot but no white is showing. I know it's early but could these be signs of teething?

Replies

• Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    They definitely could be signs, but his teeth could move up and down for 2 months.

Devon has been drooling like crazy, gnawing on everything he can get his hands on, and super fussy the past month probably. When I asked his dr at the 4 month appointment, he said the 2 month thing. The drooling sometimes lessens, but then comes back. I use the Hyland's Teething Tablets or Tylenol if he's in too much pain for the teething tablets. Because of the drool, he's had a slight diaper rash, with occasional green/muscousy poo. It's all normal, just hard to see him in pain!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Well if any of you are curious about it here's a link I found..looks like Jaxon is teething.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_teething_11243.bc
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    They definitely could be signs, but his teeth could move up and down for 2 months.

Devon has been drooling like crazy, gnawing on everything he can get his hands on, and super fussy the past month probably. When I asked his dr at the 4 month appointment, he said the 2 month thing. The drooling sometimes lessens, but then comes back. I use the Hyland's Teething Tablets or Tylenol if he's in too much pain for the teething tablets. Because of the drool, he's had a slight diaper rash, with occasional green/muscousy poo. It's all normal, just hard to see him in pain!

Oh yikes! I haven't given Jax anything just because I had no clue what was going on with him, lol. Over the past few nights he hasn't slept great (until last night) and he has a bit of a diaper rash, and has been a bit fussy as well. He's had a runny/stuffy nose too, we just thought it was sinuses or allergies. I had no idea they were all tied to one thing!
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    teething is a lllllooonnnggg process! and quite painful too. it could be teething. my kids both started the drooling thing early. my son got his teeth at 6months. and my daughter got hers at 4months.
    they both would always get a runny nose whiled cutting teeth..
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Max started getting drooly around 3 months, but at 4.5 months I'm still not seeing any teeth.

We have those squishy gel teething rings that go in the fridge, and he's been going to town on Sophie the Giraffe. I also keep a pacifier in the fridge and he likes that, too.

I've heard that Hyland's teething tablets work really well, but I haven't given Max anything yet. Like PPs said, teething is a long process and I'm not going to give Max anything until he's really miserable.

I kind of hope he doesn't get teeth too soon, I'm worried he will bite me when I feed him!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Max started getting drooly around 3 months, but at 4.5 months I'm still not seeing any teeth.

We have those squishy gel teething rings that go in the fridge, and he's been going to town on Sophie the Giraffe. I also keep a pacifier in the fridge and he likes that, too.

I've heard that Hyland's teething tablets work really well, but I haven't given Max anything yet. Like PPs said, teething is a long process and I'm not going to give Max anything until he's really miserable.

I kind of hope he doesn't get teeth too soon, I'm worried he will bite me when I feed him!

Jax wont take a pacifier anymore unless it's bedtime! He has made that quite clear. That's definitely a good thing! I've tried a couple teething toys and he wont do anything with them, he just chews on his hands.

As far as the teething tablets go, I don't think it's bad enough to give them to him yet but I have them on hand if we need them!

Ohhh girl I'm with you, that would HURT! When I was still breastfeeding I came across this article about kiddos and biting...It said to stay calm..It said that if you shout you could scare them, lol. Well I know that when I was tore up from latching issues and he would pull at my nipples it would be SO painful that I even cried out a few times because it hurt so bad! So good luck with that :)
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    my daughter is almost 7 months and she has been waking up at night crying and kinda fussy. So we finally looked in her mouth and she is cutting a tooth!!! :):):) i would say her symptoms are mild. My 3 year old had no problems at all getting his teeth. So im hoping she has an experience like that. It is so exciting for babies to get their teeth!!
  • boomerz12
    Options
    my daughter started at two months. she's four months now, still no tooth but still teething.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hmm.... Interesting. Rose has been super drooly for quite some time, gnaws on her hands all day and has been having green mucousy poops since Christmas (however our Dr. suggested it was something in my diet causing the green). I've felt around her mouth but I can't feel any teeth, though. Oh, and she's been a terrible napper lately and that makes her really fussy in the afternoons and is wearing me down. If there are teeth working their way out, I hope they make an appearance sooner rather than later!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Some babies drool a lot, others not so much. It can start months before the tooth comes in, My son never drooled even when his tooth was cutting through. Now my 2 months old daughter started drooling like crazy and eating her hand, actually the whole fist, lol. She also doesn't take the pacifier. My son never had a pacifier either and I was happy about that. One less bad habit to get rid of later. ;)

It doesn't seem to bother her, so it doesn't bother me either. If it gets really bad, you can use drolling bib to prevent soaked baby clothes.

Also I wanted to mention that even babies with teeth do not neccessearly bite their mother during breastfeeding. I BF my sn until he was 2 yrs old and obviously had a full set of teeth by then. He only bite me once accidentally . For me 1 week of bad latching caused much more pain and cracked nipple than teething ever did.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My son started teething at 2 1/2 months and Jordan is drooling and chewing at her hands. A guy I work with uses a teething necklace on his daughter but I am not sure I trust that. I just keep remembering what my sons pediatrician told me 9 years ago that teething is the most painful thing anyone can do and if we had to do it as adults it would drive you to madness it is so painful. I hate to think of any of my babies in pain. Of course when I was a baby they used bourbon or whiskey to rub across the gums and that was in the 70's and early 80's. I used baby orajel on my son and it helped him I would just rub some on his gum line he would drool like crazy but it worked. I will probably do the same with Jordan. My sister used these teething strips she found at Walgreens that are organic they are crazy expensive and you only get like 10 in a box. When her son was teething I tried one just to see if it would work and I thought they were garbage it did nothing at least with baby orajel if I were to put it on my gumline it numbed it completely so at least I am satisfied that it works and it is inexpensive for a tube of it. I also saw at Walmart teething tablets I do not know much about them they weren't around the first time I went through it. I didn't start using the orajel until Justice was so uncomfortable that he couldn't sleep or stop crying. When they can hold objects I liked to buy the rings you can freeze and they can use instead of the orajel during the day and I would use the orajel at naptime and bedtime. Teething is a long process and it will be awhile so do what is best for you and your baby. This is for when they are older and eating table food and baby food but I used to like to try popsicles (sugar free). Justice hated them but I thought it was great to try for his gums since it was cold and when he was 8-10months it was summer so I thought he would like the cold feel of course it backfired and he wouldn't touch them.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am really glad you started this thread!! Gideon will be 8 weeks tomorrow. (How can he be two months?!? I seriously can't believe it!) He has been sticking his fist in his mouth and drooling. Just this week I got him off the bottle and back to breast-feeding and I was freaking out thinking maybe he wasn't getting enough milk and was constantly hungry. But weighing him showed he was getting milk/gaining weight. Someone said he might be teething and I thought two months was crazy too early for that, but now I see maybe it's beginning stages. Anyway, thanks so much. This thread really puts me more at ease, and now I know more what to look out for.
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice!!! It's only been going on for less than a week but I'm glad we figured out what's going on with him! I have baby orajel and teething tablets on hand if he gets bad enough to need them and will possibly order the necklace as well.

Jenny - glad this thread put you at ease! I thought 2 months was way early for teething too but I guess it's more common than we thought!
  • shrinkinc
    shrinkinc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My son just cut his first tooth at 3 1/2 months. He's been comping on his hands and drooling like a mad man for about a month now.

We have an amber/hazelwood necklace for him that he wears during the day. I also gave him infant tylenol last night. In general he's been in a great mood overall aside from wanting to be held more often at nights when we get home from work.

Also the FDA advsies on not using teething gels.
    http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm250024.htm
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    I didn't know that teething gels weren't recommended! Thanks for posting that!

Now I have a reasonable defence when people suggest I load Max up with it :smile:
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    So Max has been really grumpy and crying out in pain. I gave him some Camilia Teething liquid last nght, and he was calm and happy within minutes. Then he slept until 6am.

It's all-natural, similar ingredients to Hylands Teething Tablets, and it comes in pre-measured liquid capsules that you break open and squirt in baby's mouth. I got them at Whole Foods.

Figured I'd share!

http://camiliateething.com/