Ewww! What is the green stuff?!?! 2/22

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Hey, yesterday for some reason a lot of my MFP friends were posting about Kale! It was quite comical...kale this kale that!
So if you have never tried it then get some and see how you like it!

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/kale-recipes-00412000074204/?iid=newsletter-ck-022013&PromKey=XET

I love the stuff! I especially like it in soups!

Peace and Good Eats!
WW

Replies

• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!

We're doing a black history month pot luck at work today. I brought in kale greens with andouille kielbasa and braised pork chop base. It was fate!
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves curly kale and has gotten the whole family to eat it. It holds all the delicious flavors and you just feel healthier eating it!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine made Baked Kale Chips! That reminds me, I never did get the recipe for them from her, they are yummy and crunchy and much better for you than potato chips!
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    Here's most of the foods in the family:

Collard Greens
    Mustard Greens
    Turnip Greens
    Kale
    Savoy Cabbage

They're all pretty much in the same family with similar nutrition and flavor. Kale and Savoy are the most similar in the wrinkly texture while Collard, Mustard and Turnip greens are generally stiffer.

...also Swiss Chard

NOTE: I attribute a recent greens kick to my vast reduction in blood pressure and about a dozen other blood borne, diet related issues that evaporated.
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    aak, will you bring me some of your potluck, it sounds yummy!

I've tried kale, but not a fan of the texture. Much rather have collared greens with bacon :love:
  • JSN66614
    Options
    Now Kale I just can't stand and neither can husband but collard greens for some reason we love lol and they are apart of the same family :P
  • MommyLovesHerFurBabies
    Options
    Sad to say but I have never had Kale or Collard Greens.

Kale is very difficult to find out here in Japan, so next time I see it I will pick some up....I've been wanting to anyway because there's a Kale Chip recipe on skinnytaste.com and I love to try all her recipes!!!
  • garlic7girl
    Options

We're doing a black history month pot luck at work today. I brought in kale greens with andouille kielbasa and braised pork chop base. It was fate!

Are you serious?!?! OMG!
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    Completely 100% serious.

Basic recipe:
    2 bags kale (or whatever greens)
    a couple pork chops, or bacon, or something
    spicy andouille kielbasa
    onion
    garlic
    chicken stock
    nutmeg
    extra virgin olive oil
    salt
    pepper
    white sugar
    *Optional - red pepper flakes, cayenne, etc. to spice it up a bit if you want.

Braise the meats with the olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic.
    Dump in the onion, and kale.
    Add enough chicken stock to get everything to reduce. (Probably about half a box.)
    Once everything has wilted enough to fit it all in your pot/wok/whatever with a lid add everything else.
    Cook it down until just after the greens 100% surrender their stiffness and it's no longer soup/stew. It should be this consistency when its done:
    turnip-greens-7.jpg
    (This is not mine, but a random pic off the internet. Mine looks similar.)
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20675570,00.html?xid=foodandnutrition02212013

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/article/1-food-5-ways-kale/?utm_source=MyVegetarianTimes&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=MyVegetarianTimes

I got some more recipes for Kale if you like....there are many ways to enjoy them! Mr. AAAK now that looooooooks soooooo good I could dive into the screen.