Saturday Excuses: I will work out when I'm done.....

Options
CC72MN
CC72MN Posts: 12 Member
Cleaning the house....doing the laundry....watching this show....fixing lunch....

Face it, the house will always need cleaning, there will always be laundry and the show can wait. It's time to work out! No more excuses!

Except.....my daughter is begging me to play with her, "please mommy? you can be Belle and I will be the turtle and we can pretend we are going on a walk and we see the beast and...." How can I resist that? Especially when I don't get to spend much time with her on the weekdays. :-( Ok, after I play with my daughter, THEN I will work out. Promise.

Cindy

Replies

• janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yeah..I know what you mean, but I tell you what .....lets enjoy the play time ...they get older so quickly and branch out......THEN "enjoy" the get fit time...... and THEN.... lets do the never ending household chores, leaving ones that don't get done 'til tomorrow.

I will...... if you will !!!!!!!:laugh:
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    So much to do, so little time! When my kids were younger and I was "desperate" for a workout, I invented a game called "gym class." We would take turns being the teacher and they would love telling me I had to do 10 jumping jacks, run in place, etc., counting as we did them. Forgot all about that until right now! Once in a while I got them to do a DVD with me as well... Not sure what you do for workouts, but Leslie Sansone has a Kids Walk that is fun (pretty much a low impact cardio).

Of course there is always the 5am option, ha! Have a great Saturday!
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I work out at 6am- only the youngest is awake then, and he eats breakfast, then *drives* round and round me, or sometimes acts as additional keg weights *sigh* one day he'll sleep past 5.30am...... won't he?

Then I usually go out again around 9pm - i used to go to the gym, but it didn't really work out too well being out the house that long, so now I just pop out for a run/brisk walk around the block, and can be called back if necessary. Stops me slobbing in front of the tv and snacking in the evenings lol.
  • CC72MN
    CC72MN Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea, playing gym teacher! I like it...will have to try that one out. Thanks for the idea! :-)
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I guess I am in a different stage of life here. My two are both teens so I work out in the am while they are still sleeping in on Saturday morning but I do remember those early years.

Of course I still find my own excuses. Since I work 50% from home, there is always work looming over me even on Saturday. I have to force myself to ignore the calls of the laptop and go workout. Since electricity rates are cheaper here on the weekends, Saturday is maga laundry day, too. that is why I like to do Jillian micheals 20 min workouts on Saturday. They fit well between loads of laundry :-) Tried a new one today ... kickboxing. My 17 yo daughter thinks it is hilarious that I am doing kickboxing.
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Cleaning the house....doing the laundry....watching this show....fixing lunch....

Face it, the house will always need cleaning, there will always be laundry and the show can wait. It's time to work out! No more excuses!

Except.....my daughter is begging me to play with her, "please mommy? you can be Belle and I will be the turtle and we can pretend we are going on a walk and we see the beast and...." How can I resist that? Especially when I don't get to spend much time with her on the weekdays. :-( Ok, after I play with my daughter, THEN I will work out. Promise.

Cindy

I think you should be Belle and Dance with your daughter. :-) Dancing will burn calories and keep your daughter smiling.

BTW...enjoy your daughter wanting to play with you. Mine is a teen and doesn't want to be in the same room with me anymore!
  • Pinkiepreppie
    Pinkiepreppie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I miss those days. My daughter is 15, so she slept in today till 11:30am LOL! I've been cleaning, doing laundry, dishes, etc... I have homemade lasagna baking in the oven right now. I should really get a work out in so I can have seconds!
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I normally get my workout in at 5:30 a.m. while my daughter is sleep during the week. She sleeps a little later on the weekend, but if she wakes up, she'll come in the living room and do some of the moves with me. She loves showing me how the move is "supposed to be done" as opposed to what I'm actually doing. I think that's so cute. :-)

On Saturdays, we go to the park or outside and she rides her bike while I walk around. It all works out!

I love the gym teacher idea. My husband is a gym teacher, and I think we all will enjoy that "game". Thanks!
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Great Group!

My girls are 15, 12 & 11. My 15 and 12 year olds have gym memberships and they go with me on Saturday mornings. As soon as my youngest turns 12 we'll get her a membership too. I tell them what time I am going and that is that. If my husband is home he prefers to go later on Saturday so if the kids have the option of going later with daddy they pick that. I'm a morning person, they aren't :)

As far as excuses mine is more like....AFTER I work out if I have time to clean, work, do laundry, go shopping....I will. The workout takes top priority.

ps-I LOVE LOVE LOVE working out with my babies. It's just neato to look over at the next weight machine and see them being fit and healthy with me. Since July I've lost 40 pounds and hubby has lost 60 pounds! It's a whole family event around here.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I always spend my Saturday workouts with the kids, we find something to do together. Walking, swimming at the YMCA, roller skating, today we went bowling and we all granny bowled so lots of squats with weighted balls lol. They grow up to quickly, spend all the time I can hanging with them.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to get most of my housework done by Friday. That leaves me more time to both have fun with my family and exercise on the weekend. I'm not successful all the time, but its a new concept for me.

My husband works overnights so he's not around much to help with the running that comes with kids. My kids are 11 and 6 and in sports and music. I also just moved back "home" by my mom and two of my sisters. While this is wonderful on one hand (my sisters have helped motivate me as they have lost 26+ and 31+ pounds recently), it also means I have more family to spend time with. For example, today I spent the evening babysitting my two nephews. I got on the floor with the 1 year old and started to do my leg lifts. He enjoyed watching me!! :laugh:
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Formal work outs are for the weekdays. Fun work outs are for the weekends. We ride dirt bikes, jump rope, play soccer, swim, walk, bike ride on the weekends. We live in sunny Florida, so there are very few times we are inside on the weekend. When we are, I love to watch movies and play with the girls. Sometimes, playing with the kids is just more important. Enjoy it while they are young. You will have plenty of time to work out when the kids are older and want to hang with friends or move out.