Stronglifts and pregnancy?

Options
natajane
natajane Posts: 295 Member
Hello!

I've been trying out the stronglifts programme for about a month and a half, along with eating 20% below TDEE.

It has been really working for me, I've lost 5 inches off my waist in that time and 10lbs! And I've been doing it no more than twice a week because of gym problems. My strength improved so much that i can actually leg press my husbands weight now. I've been eating really well and not feeling deprived at all either.

I felt like i'd seen the light, after years of yo-yoing. I'd just found a great gym equipt for proper weight lifting near my home too, and I was preparing to start doing this the 3 times a week from tomorrow.

But last Wednesday night, I discovered that I am expecting our first baby! Great news, we've been trying for about a year. I think my inch loss helped us! We're so excited. I think I'm about 5 weeks along.

I feel quite upset with myself though - my BMI is 36. I'm so overweight, I didn't want to pass health risks to my future children. I was doing so well with this programme I thought I might be a healthier weight when I conceived.

I now don't know what to do for myself weight loss wise. I've read that some doctors are now saying its safe to lose fat whilst pregnant, especially for obese women like me, and that you can still lift just not really heavy? Is that true?

I don't know what to do exercise wise now, i'm in limbo! Cardio doesn't do much for me, I feel like I need to do weights to keep shrinking.

Needless to say I don't want to do anything to endanger the baby.

Any thoughts or experiences are so welcome.

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    First off I would definitely discuss this with your doctor before you make any decisions.

Secondly, FreckledLeanne (oh I hope I spelled her handle right!) Is a member of this group (she's also on my FL if you wish to message her) and she is currently expecting and doing SL so she might be a good person to ask a question or two.
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks Vegas! I think this was posted in the pregnancy group, so I responded (at length) there.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Great :)
  • natajane
    Options
    Thanks to the both of you for replying :)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add but the most important thing. :) Congratulations to you both!!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • natajane
    Options
    I have nothing to add but the most important thing. :) Congratulations to you both!!!!

:flowerforyou:

Awww thank you, thats so nice :)