best take out?

Options
MrsAgi
MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
Ok,I admit it. Sometimes I just can't find the energy/motivation to cook for everyone at the end of the day. Yes I make extra and freeze portions, but if I need to feed the whole family quickly and with little effort I occasionally buy take out. As far as I can tell all takeaway food is apallingly bad for you, high is cals, salt and fats:( so as I'm still going to buy it occasionally,which take out food would you recommend?

Replies

• dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I see you're n England, so I can't help too much! Instead of fast food, some our "quick" dinners include breakfast (eggs or cereal), buying an already roasted chicken and making a quick veg, or having a "snack" dinner - sometimes picnic style in the family room. It is a plate of healthier snacks which hit the food groups: carrots, fruit, yogurt or cheese, lunchmeat turkey, crackers, etc. -- the kids still love that one!
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When we get Chinese take-out, egg drop soup is generally 120 calories or so and I love that. My local place also has "steamer entres for weight watchers" (their tag-line!). It has steamed veggies and/or chicken or shrimp. I do get some sauce on the side but usually no rice. I can then dip my fork in the sauce and eat the veggies and shrimp. I have a taste of the chinese food without all the guilty calories. My family loves pizza so on pizza nights, I have a big salad and eat the top off a piece (or two!). I'm trying very hard to not eat the refined carbs. It gives me the taste of the pizza without the stuff that really hurts my body type.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    We only eat out about once every 4-6 weeks so when we do I use it as more of a fun treat for the kids and not worry about where its coming from. Our favorite place is our local Chinese or Little Ceasars Pizza. Personally I LOVE Panera Bread. Plus they have their calories posted which is great. We live in VA and I travel for work sometimes. I was in Albany NY a couple of months ago for 4 days. Every place I ate at had their cals listed on the menu. It's a NY law now. I wish every state would do this! It really makes you think and make better choices when you see some dinners have 1000+cals!
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    We only eat out about once every 4-6 weeks so when we do I use it as more of a fun treat for the kids and not worry about where its coming from. Our favorite place is our local Chinese or Little Ceasars Pizza. Personally I LOVE Panera Bread. Plus they have their calories posted which is great. We live in VA and I travel for work sometimes. I was in Albany NY a couple of months ago for 4 days. Every place I ate at had their cals listed on the menu. It's a NY law now. I wish every state would do this! It really makes you think and make better choices when you see some dinners have 1000+cals!

Its supposed to be coming in as law in the UK sometime,and some restaurants display the cals on their eat in menus,but don't think I've ever seen them on takeaway ones...

Pizza isn't actually too bad, cos I can stop at 1 or 2 slices. Chinese is terrible because its my favourite and I eat loads of the worst possible choices lol.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Wow, once every 4-6 weeks? You are my new hero!!!
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Wow, once every 4-6 weeks? You are my new hero!!!

As a family yes, that's all we eat out. Hubby and I both work from home (unless we are traveling) so just he and I also eat out for lunch about 1x a month as well. I've become hyper aware of the way restaurants prepare food-COATED in butter and salt. I can't stand not knowing EXACTLY what is in my food and being able to track it! Even when I travel for work I tend to prepare and pack a lot of my food and sometimes I'm gone for 4-5 days at a time. Hotels have fridges and microwaves so it works for me :)