Shoe or just conditioning issue?

I have never had issues with shoes before, but I normally run no more than 4-6 miles. I have started training for a 1/2 and have increased my mileage over the past month. I started wearing my new shoes when I got up to 7. I am not sure if it's the shoe or just my body not being conditioned for this mileage but these past few weeks, when I get into miles 7-9, my feet and legs really ache. The first 6 miles are no problem but after that, I really start to feel it. I am leaning towards that it's my body, but I also don't want to keep pushing the shoes if they just aren't good for me. My 1/2 is on April 6 so should I attempt to break in a new pair or just keep pushing along (it's not so bad it's stopping me, just uncomfortable) and get through the 1/2? After the half, I plan to back off and stick to 6-7 miles tops

Replies

• jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    I'm also training for a half, and when I started my training in december, I had no issues running 3-4 miles at a time in the shoes I was wearing. Then when I started to up my mileage, my legs protested greatly. I would get really sore while I was running. I went to a running store, got fitted for new shoes, and haven't had any issues since then. Now I'm up to 7-8 mile long runs and still have no problems. In my experience, the shoes were the issue. I'd say its worth a shot getting fitted for a new pair!
  • You started wearing the new shoes once you hit higher mileages? Had you been running in them on shorter runs? If not I would suggest that you wear the new shoes for shorter runs, and an older pair for longer, and work you and your new shoes up to higher mileages. New shoes can often use different muscles, or use the same muscles/tendons differently than an old pair... this often causes soreness. Also, if the new shoes still make you sore repeatedly on shorter runs you know you can handle, then that tells you its the shoe and not the mileage causing trouble and its time for a different pair of shoes.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    I have worn them for shorter runs (3 miles) with no problems. But I have to admit I haven't worn them probably enough now that I look back at it. I will try to keep putting more mileage in shorter amounts and use my other ones for my long runs and see what happens. Thanks! I really would like to get fitted but I am very rural so to make the drive to one of the 2 good stores within a decent distance is a challenge with 2 younger boys! I need to make time though
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    How did you choose these new shoes? Were these the same shoes you always wore? Did you buy a different kind/model? Or were you professionally fitted? When I started running 15 years ago I ran 3-4 miles/day until about 3 years ago, when I started training for half/full marathons. I learned VERY quickly that not only was I wearing the WRONG shoes for my gait/stride, but I was wearing the WRONG size! I had no idea there was much of a difference in running shoes until I suffered from ankle, knee, and lower back pain. Apparently I am a NEUTRAL runner but I was wearing shoes for overpronators. The lower back pain was caused by the poor gait/stride my ill-fitting shoes were causing me to have.
    Once I was professionally fitted I was ready to go! Literally 2 weeks after I was back to normal and now I can run as much as I want with no shoe problems.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    I hate to admit this because I it's my go to advice for runners, but I have never been fitted properly. I never have had issues, so I buy what brand I have always worn (Adidas of any kind have always been kind to me) BUT I always stayed between 4-6 miles. This is a whole new ball game for me with the distance so I agree, it's time to do the right thing and get fitted.
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    It sounds like the shoes to me. I would expect some fatigue when you push your mileage, but not all-out pain. In my experience, the right shoes will fit right out of the box and not need much breaking in. It took me a while to find the right kind for me ( I wear Karhus,) but when I get a new pair, I can go out and do 10+ miles in them without any problem.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Yep, I think it's the shoes. Most brands have different kinds of shoes ( overpronate, underpronate, & neutral) so if you were buying whatever pair was cheapest, cutest, or your size you probably have the wrong kind for your gait/stride.

I would make the trip to a running store, once you find a brand/style that works for you then you can order online that same brand when it's time to replace them. Just as a side note, they say you should replace your shoes every 300-500 miles. If you have been wearing this pair for a while that could be contributing to your problem.

I usually have 2 pairs in rotation to try and help them go farther.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Definitely figure out the best fit for you, but also stay in tune with your body. Hopefully you're the best judge of what is normal pain and what needs attention.

I started out at 3 miles a year ago. Shoes were important to reduce knee pain in the beginning, but after that it was just conditioning. Getting up to 4 was no problem, but when I went up to 5 my legs felt like lead. It took a couple runs at 5 before it felt easy again. The next few miles were easier, but then when I got up to 8 it took a ton of effort to finish again. I also had to ice much more often after runs when I first started increasing my miles. Now, I can run a half without even a worry of being sore.

Best of luck!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Definitely figure out the best fit for you, but also stay in tune with your body. Hopefully you're the best judge of what is normal pain and what needs attention.

I started out at 3 miles a year ago. Shoes were important to reduce knee pain in the beginning, but after that it was just conditioning. Getting up to 4 was no problem, but when I went up to 5 my legs felt like lead. It took a couple runs at 5 before it felt easy again. The next few miles were easier, but then when I got up to 8 it took a ton of effort to finish again. I also had to ice much more often after runs when I first started increasing my miles. Now, I can run a half without even a worry of being sore.

Best of luck!

I agree - it could just be conditioning - your body has to get used to the longer distances. It takes me awhile to adjust to longer distances, and the last several miles of a long run, my legs and feet are usually pretty achey! But, I can get to around 10 miles or more before that starts to kick in now (I am up to 13 miles on my long runs).

Oh, and I have never been fitted for shoes.