New to MFP, not new to PCOS

Options
lilynblue
lilynblue Posts: 27 Member
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was in high school, and my weight has been steadily increasing since then. I was 125 when first diagnosed, I am currently 170, and I would like to get down to 135. I am trying to eat clean as much as possible, but I have determined that I don't do well when I have to completely eliminate certain types of food.

My highest weight was 215 while pregnant, but I dropped down to 185 pretty fast, and it's been really slow trying to get the pounds off since then. I am going to try to be an active participant on this forum, so if anyone is looking for new friends to give and get support along this journey please add me!

Replies

• pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    Welcome! Always good to see new people. Congratulations on your child, and also for losing 30lbs afterward :happy:

If there is one thing I've learned by talking to the ladies on this site with PCOS, it's that the internet makes us sound all the same, but we're not! You just have to trial and error with foods before you will settle in a comfortable place. Many people go low glycemic, others do paleo, others just try to reduce carbs, etc.... I personally really don't believe in cutting out any food group completely, but some people do and I won't judge.

I'm maintaining rather than trying to lose weight, but in terms of PCOS symptoms I have been feeling a lot better since I really started trying to reduce carbs and increase protein and healthy fats. There is nothing I cut completely out (yet). I find it helpful to focus on a specific goal week by week, for example reducing sugar, and then next week incorporating 2 new high protein, low carb foods. Just take it in stages! We'll be here to support you.
  • lilynblue
    lilynblue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. I completely agree with your last paragraph. Also, great advice on doing a little more each week! Good luck on becoming healthier!
  • LoveFitNation
    LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey - so my body has pretty much done the same as yours... My highest was during my first pregnancy...but I dropped that pretty quickly also - now I am settled at 180 and haven't been able to figure out why I'm stuck...to be honest - away from not being able to get pregnant quickly and having high risk to miscarriages I sometimes can forget I have PCOS until I'm completely stuck like I am right now at this weight...I do feel fortunate that I don't have all the symptoms of PCOS!! I guess I just need to get to know my body better - after being pregnant I feel like I'm lost when it comes to my body - the pregnancies changed everything for me...if you find something that works share the wealth!! :):):)