Am I being realistic?

This may be a slightly silly question, but I'm curious...

I am currently about 14 weeks along and due towards the end of August with my first. I am in a friends wedding in February 2014 and she wants us to order our bridesmaid dresses shortly (wayyyy early, but the dresses are on sale now and she wanted to try to save us some $$).

I just have no clue what size dress to order - The wedding will be 6 months after I have the baby, but am I being realistic to think I will be back at my pre-preggo size by then?

Replies

• TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    I would order it a size or 2 bigger and worst case you can have it taken in when the time gets closer :smile: . They can always shrink the dress but not make it bigger. Plus those first 6 months will be an adjustment and you don't want the added pressure of having to lose all the weight and take care of your new LO. Plus depending on how well and fast you heal you may not even be able to start exercising until 2 months after the baby is here, and with that being right around the holidays, I dont think you should put added stress :bigsmile: . I dont think its unrealistic at all, but I think you will be more sane if you dont put so much strain on yourself during that time.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    I would order it a size or 2 bigger and worst case you can have it taken in when the time gets closer :smile: . They can always shrink the dress but not make it bigger. Plus those first 6 months will be an adjustment and you don't want the added pressure of having to lose all the weight and take care of your new LO. Plus depending on how well and fast you heal you may not even be able to start exercising until 2 months after the baby is here, and with that being right around the holidays, I dont think you should put added stress :bigsmile: . I dont think its unrealistic at all, but I think you will be more sane if you dont put so much strain on yourself during that time.
    ^^ totally agree....
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    It's definitely possible that you will be ack to your pre-preggo size, but like the others said, go up a size or two just in case.

It's easier to take it in than to take it out.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    ^^ totally agree....

Me too!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    It's definitely possible that you will be ack to your pre-preggo size, but like the others said, go up a size or two just in case.

It's easier to take it in than to take it out.

^Agreed - sometimes a dress *can't* be let out. It can always be taken in, even if it has to be taken apart and rebuilt.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    It depends because each person is different! With my son, I gained 50 lbs and was still 2 sizes bigger after 6 months. My sister decided to get married one month after my daughter is supposed to be born this summer and she wants me to be her matron of honor. I have NO idea what size I'm going to be...I'll probably have to buy 5 pairs of spanx and get the dress 3 sizes bigger than normal...it will be interesting.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    been there done that! agreed with what others are saying, it was horriable to try and lose the weight while trying to adjust to a new one. I was a little ahead in that this was my third, but I did get into it. I still think it didn't look that good (hate looking at the pictures even now.... but it was a forgiving dress and yes spanx helped alot!) But I found it was everything trying to workout on babys schedule and take care of everyone else.... I was a bit of mess.
    The other thing is be prepared or at least look into buy a "new one" check into how long it would take to re-order, or if you don't mind paying the difference and you can fit it into your time line order after.
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    I was in a friend's wedding 3 months after my first child was born. I ordered one size up and it fit well. That was before I was focused on being fit and healthy and I gained 40 lbs during that pregnancy. I do not remember how much I had lost at that point, but I was not yet really working out and not dieting because I was breastfeeding my daughter. I think one size up at 6 months postpartum should be fine.