Safe to RUn

Options
mlb929
mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
What would you do? There as an alleged kidnapping last week about 6 miles from my home. I generally run on country roads, that are less traveled and lonely. This supposedly happened early evening, on a main rural highway, but well traveled road. The story is that a woman's car broke down, someone stopped to help, and kidnapped her, she escaped, doesn't know how far they took her (WTH??). The information provided to the public is limited, and the whole story is really lacking a lot of vital information. They have not issued any warnings to women that this was random or not random. There is also a homeless camp around near where this happened, and the woman hasn't been identified.

My career makes me question the whole thing, like, it's taken over a week to provide any sketches of any alleged kidnapper. The sketch released, doesn't match the alleged ethnic features of the alleged kidnappers. There is also no mention of a weapon used, the vehicle description is vague, and some other info about the whole think just leaves you thinking - what really happened. The pieces in the story provided to the public are just enough to go "oh heard about that, but it's no big deal". The press hasn't really made much of an issue and the only news has been a press release only.

I can no longer run the trail I used to run, they laid heavy thick gravel that makes it impossible to run on. I carry a firearm when I run and am trained in self defense and the use of it a weapon. However, I'm not a real big person. I don't want to live in fear, I don't want to only run on a treadmill, but my gut tells me to still do what I do, just keep my awareness up and take my chances. I've tried to figure out other options, but I don't think I can get long runs in just by running around town roads, and I get more freaked out by being hit by a car in traffic than I really do out running alone. I've never ran with anyone, don't really know any local runners, and my dog would not be a good option, he would be more dangerous than running alone. Just looking for some other options or opinions from runners who run a lot.

Weather hasn't permitted me on the roads this past week, but I have a race in March I need to get some road miles in for. I cross train already, bike a few times a week on an indoor trainer, use the elliptical, run my intervals and tempo runs on the treadmill as much as I hate it, but my long runs really need to be out on these roads.

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    That would freak me out too and on occasion I actually think about it when I do see traffic on my runs. I also run alone on back country roads. A lot of times with a group or friend, BUT often alone as well. I honestly don't know what I would do in that situation but it does sound like you are prepared!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I keep track of any assaults or anything that happen in and around the areas that I run. I make note in particular of what time of day they occurred, age of the victim and what he/she was doing, whether the assailant was known/related, etc. I plot them on "my maps" on Google Map and take a look at street view to make sure I can identify where they happened and if there are any particular crime draws in that area (convenience store, liquor store, bar, etc.) and also mark them on the map. If there are sketches I review them and keep a copy. If there is a series of possibly related incidents (there was a groper with three or four reported incidents in my neighborhood, for example) then I can see quickly on my Google map what the similarities are (in the given example, all on 30ish women in back lanes or parks bordering on back lanes weekday afternoons.) Once I have collected all of the information, then I can better judge whether it is a valid threat or not and make my plan accordingly.

I run with bear spray and a personal alarm. I run on busy streets or on pathways not easily accessible to traffic. If something makes me nervous, I turn around and go the other way. If I feel threatened, I call the police.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Coming from South Africa I am very aware of safety issues. We have a high crime rate. Trust your gut and don't run in an area you feel unsafe in.

I do my long runs with running partners. We try to be at least 3 or 4 when we do a long run. Is there maybe a running club in your area where you can meet likeminded people?
    I would rather drive to an area that I know is safe than run from a starting point where I don't feel safe.
    I run with pepper spray.
    I run with my mobile. Somebody knows when I start and when I aim to be back.
    I have done multiple laps around a safe area. Frustrating but with the added bonus that it makes you mentally strong.

It is sad that we cannot go and just run. Unfortunately it is a reality we have to live with.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you want to run, run. I run through downtown at 6am through homeless camps 2-3 times a week. There's a better chance of you getting into a car accident on your way to work than you getting kidnapped.
    I'm a CSI and this story sounds fishy to me, too.