Anyone Tried the Wahl/Paleo diet?

Options
sed1217
sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
I'm thinking of switching to it after speaking to my neuro this week. Part of me thinks it might be gimicky (after all, I think people like us are trying to make a difference in our health in any way we can, and restriction of foods seems to fit the bill), but I'd also like to be as physically and mentally well as I can be for as long as possible. That might, MIGHT, be something to give up pizza over, lol. It seems like such a difficult diet to maintain, but no more difficult than MS I'm guessing. Anyone tried?

Replies

• Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I did read about it but at the end of the day I decided that making a lifestyle change and permanently changing my eating habits was more likely to help me in the long run. I am not a big fan of 'diets' of any kind. I think that each individual has foods that help and foods that hinder our goals. To say that an entire group will benefit from one type of diet change, I think, is unrealistic.

Read as much as you can - you will want to make as much of an educated decision as you can. One thing that MS does do is react to any severe changes in your lifestyle.

End of lecture......:laugh:
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've followed the Swank diet since 2004. Sometimes a little more closely than others. I remember reading about the best bet diet and the swank diet and I liked the hard science I saw in Dr Swank's peer reviewed, published research. What most impressed me was that 25 years after diagnosis, almost all of his patients who followed the diet as prescribed were still walking and had very little disability. I find it pretty easy to follow, because it is primarily a low saturated fat diet. I eat mostly whole foods these days so it's a very healthy diet (although many use processed low fat foods to meet the requirements, which, IMHO is not what Dr Swank prescribed). None of my neuros have thought anything of it, but I've had several remark on how well I'm doing 12 years after diagnosis with no symptoms, disability, etc. Go figure.
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Cool, thank you for the feedback, both! I'll try to make a gradual transition regardless of what I decide. Full-on paleo sounds unsustainable to me, long term, but I definitely need to make some rigorous changes to my diet. Before I started on my New Year's food changes (for weight loss and health generally), I was eating high sugar carbs and fried stuff all the time. That can't be good for anyone - I can't imagine how nutrient deprived I was for quite a long time.