How many miles do you run in a week?

Options

Replies

• pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    25 to 30 miles per week now. I start training for a marathon in a few weeks so I'll get up to 40+ then.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I typically sign up for half marathons, and I average about 20 miles per week. I'd like to up my miles and train for a full in 2014. I'm just trying to figure out how to fit it all in with work and school and such.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My base mileage is in the low to mid 50 mile per week range. Marathon training I will hit the low 80s a few times.
  • er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I think you're right- I did 17.5 this week and my leg is hurting me. My boyfriend (who is a physical therapist) told me to take at least 2 days off and try to ease into it a little more, for my body's sake. Gotta listen to my body!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I usually run about 3-4 times a week, so average 20-30miles.
  • rgrstetson
    rgrstetson Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am at about 50 miles per week now. Have had weeks in excess of 100 mile weeks for some big events.

I will tell you that if you are feeling it don't push the paces. Running slower has an extreme amount of physiological benefits that will help you increase volume injury free over time.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Damn, there are some bad *kitten* on here. I average about 20 a week right but that is all I can manage without neglecting my family too much.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I feel slightly worried after reading this thread!

I'm averaging 20-30 miles per week and I have my first marathon in 6 weeks.

I work on the basis of two 5-6 mile runs during the week, a 5k or short interval run for speedwork and one long run 13-20 miles at the weekend.

I also do 2 body pump classes and 1 spin class as well.

It seems that you all cover ALOT more miles than I do however I would find it very hard to fit anymore runs in without it affecting my work/education/relationships/body!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I work on the basis of two 5-6 mile runs during the week, a 5k or short interval run for speedwork and one long run 13-20 miles at the weekend.

It seems that you all cover ALOT more miles than I do however I would find it very hard to fit anymore runs in without it affecting my work/education/relationships/body!

My weeks look similar to yours and I just registered for the Marine Corps Marathon. Maybe I'll be prepared, maybe not. However, I'm able to work out for 90min 3 days a week during work, and I cap my weekend runs at 120min. Whatever works for you is best - some of these people here are pretty beast in their work outs, but I would consider myself more casual to running.
  • rgrstetson
    rgrstetson Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Jessica and Sonic, the most important run is the long run. If I were coaching you would I recommend a bit more volume? Yes....merely because I want the marathon to be a pleasurable experience and not something that you would walk away from with utter disdain. Take it slow, diversity is good, mentally and physically and volume is more than mere mileage, it applies in other areas as well. I have a good friend that only runs 50 miles a week but cycles quite a bit and will crush me in a 100 miler every time...just sayin'...
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options

While training for the marathon I would trade out a strength class for swimming or biking (spin class works too) and do at least 2 cardio crosstraining sessions a week with three working runs.. Make sure classes don't get too intense and hurt your runs.

I woud also do some longer tempo runs, 8-10 miles, with a few 10 milers at marathon pace, and some longer intervals 1600m, 2000m, 2ks etc. These would go on weeks with shorter long runs.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Three times a week. 18-25 miles
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    4 times a week for me, 20mile average. I do an 8 mile on the weekend and a 5 mile mid week and a couple short 3mile tempo runs. I have signed up for a half in August so I am going to slowly increase my mileage but probably no more than 25/wk.
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    between 40 to 50 miles per week
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I usually run 50 or so miles a week. Some 60.
  • Rhunt24
    Rhunt24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of training for my 2nd half and I did 15 miles total this week. Will probably cap out at 25 miles per week...this is with 2 shorter runs during the week and one long run on the weekend. I do strength on the shorter run days too. I would love to add a 4th day, but life is just too crazy and I'm still lugging around some extra baby weight, which makes my knees and hips pretty achy.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Miles? *wanders off to find km to miles converter*

Google says it equates to about 50 miles a week. Took a while to work up to that, but I'm fairly comfortable at this sort of level now.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Running close to 20....

Interesting info from a recent study showing health benefits peak at lower mileage.

Regarding pace, individuals who ran six and seven miles per hour had a significant 21% and 27% lower risk of all-cause mortality, whereas those who ran eight or more miles per hour had a nonsignificant 7% lower risk of all-cause mortality. Running up to 20 miles per week was associated with a significantly reduced risk of death, with the largest benefit observed in those who ran between 10 to 15 miles weekly (HR 0.73; 95% CI 0.60-0.89). For those who ran 20 to 25 miles and more than 25 miles per week, however, there was a nonsignificant 10% and 5% reduction in all-cause mortality. Similarly, the mortality benefit was observed in individuals who ran two to five days per week, but the benefit began turning in the other direction when subjects ran six or seven days per week. At six and seven days, the reduction in all-cause mortality was not statistically significant.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Running close to 20....

Interesting info from a recent study showing health benefits peak at lower mileage.

Regarding pace, individuals who ran six and seven miles per hour had a significant 21% and 27% lower risk of all-cause mortality, whereas those who ran eight or more miles per hour had a nonsignificant 7% lower risk of all-cause mortality. Running up to 20 miles per week was associated with a significantly reduced risk of death, with the largest benefit observed in those who ran between 10 to 15 miles weekly (HR 0.73; 95% CI 0.60-0.89). For those who ran 20 to 25 miles and more than 25 miles per week, however, there was a nonsignificant 10% and 5% reduction in all-cause mortality. Similarly, the mortality benefit was observed in individuals who ran two to five days per week, but the benefit began turning in the other direction when subjects ran six or seven days per week. At six and seven days, the reduction in all-cause mortality was not statistically significant.

Generally speaking, people that run 25+ miles per week aren't doing it solely for the health benefit.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Running close to 20....

"Interesting info from a recent study showing health benefits peak at lower mileage. "

You are making statements about morbidity yet all of your stats pertain to mortality. They are very different, though connected, items.