Natural medications???

Options
So I know a lot of people on here have tried metformin...did you get the results you were wanting?? Someone on a different post asked about cinnamon...has anyone tried that?? I have been looking into iodine...has anyone ever tried it or researched it?? Has anyone else ever gone the natural route and had the results they were looking for??

Replies

• lilynblue
    lilynblue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was on metformin while TTC up until I was 14 weeks pregnant. I didn't notice any difference with it other than some digestive issues, it didn't regulate my cycles, and I didn't lose any weight with it, although I was on a pretty low dose only 1000mg. As for natural remedies, I haven't really tried much other than drinking cinnamon tea and adding cinnamon to other foods. It is supposed to help with insulin resistance, but I never noticed much of a difference, and I didn't try it very long. Sorry I know that wasn't very helpful, hopefully someone else chimes in.
  • LoveFitNation
    LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    No worries - I was just wondering if anyone had tried different things...I will be doing the iodine (I get it from a dr-I am not just going to a store and picking it up myself) I am just always interested in trying things that are more natural or considered "alternative"...I have read some blogs though that other people have done the iodine thing and it helped them a ton!! I hadn't ever heard about the cinnamon thing though I imagine there is some sort of truth to it...cinnamon is def a spice that affects the body in multiple ways...
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Thanks for this post, I am thinking that once we have a baby (trying right now) I may have to talk with my DR about more natural treatments. I just want to do what I can so I can have a baby a soon as possible.
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Try the natural supplement N-Acetyl Cysteine. You can buy it on Amazon.com or at GNC (though, it is significantly cheaper on amazon) Here is a link to get started on some research so you can decide for yourself if it's something you might like to try. http://www.pcosnutrition.com/links/blogs/nac-and-pcos.html

"Bottom line: NAC has been shown to improve menstrual regularity but has not been shown to help improve fertility in women with PCOS. NAC may help improve insulin resistance in women with PCOS who have high insulin levels and could be used with metformin or if metformin isn't an option. NAC also seems to have a favorable effect of lowering cholesterol, TG and testosterone."

I've been taking it for a week. I saw a difference in the scales immediately! I doubled my weight loss and have not done anything differently. I feel great and I'm hoping that with the weight loss, the insulin resistance will subside. Still waiting to see if it helps long term with the other stuff. If you have a higher BMI, you need more mg than someone with a smaller BMI. Many reviews I've read say that at a low dosage they didn't notice a difference, but as soon as they upped the dosage, the lbs just fell off and their blood sugars were much better. I take 500 mg with every meal.
  • LoveFitNation
    LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I will have to look into it!! Hope it keeps working for you!!!
  • shawnclarinet
    shawnclarinet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was on metformin for about a month, but since I didn't have issues with blood sugar, it made my sugar levels too low. I almost passed out at the gym one day. I started taking Maca Root to help. I notice an increase in energy, but you have to build up to a regular dose. About a month after starting Maca, I saw an Naturopathic doctor on Dr. Oz that suggested Maca for women with menstrual issues. Since I probably have endometriosis, too, I think it's helping both. My cramps are not as bad. I stopped taking it for a while and had really bad ovulation pain. I'm seeing a new gynecologist this week and am hoping to be able to get the laser treatment to thin the lining of my uterus and get my tubes blocked.
    I've also found that yoga and Pilates help for my biggest problem area - my waist. I look like I'm 6 months pregnant ALL the time!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried chasteberry? I've read that can really help boost progesterone in PCOS women which helps balance out some of the hormone issues.
  • germaneagles79
    germaneagles79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I tried so far was the blood sugar hormone balance tee from triple leaf tees. At one point I was menstruating twice a year for several weeks. The tee actually helped me to regulate my menstruation somewhat (might work more effective if I would drink it regularly). Another big factor is staying away from all white carbs like sugar, white flour, white rice, potato... And regular exercise. I also found out that my mood controls my hormones a lot too. So I try to keep myself positive and happy. Mood solution from twin lab helped me with mood swings. Also recommend a good multivitamin.
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I swear by metformin. I SWEAR by it. I tried losing the same 5 pounds since October got on Metformin and lost 13. It's incredible!
  • Tamicejl
    Tamicejl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have to say I WAS on metformin for ten years off and on... it did nothing for me 500mg 3x a day. I hated taking the pills. I went down the natural route and started to take maca. It is in the same catagory as the chasteberry... I have seen result. I have had one regualr... cycle (the first in almost 12 years). It has improved my energy and my libito. I know that it has a taste and that is something to get use to. I just feel like the natural path is the best for me, for now. Oh I must say ... I use the powder... which is extremly stronger than the pills. Look it up. Hope this helps.