Registered for my first Mud Run/Obstacle race

Options
Linli_Anne
Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
It is a Mud Hero race - 6K and 15+ obstacles.

SO, how do I go about training for the race. It is at the end of July, so I have time to really build up and hopefully get a good variety in.

I'm currently working my way through the New Rules of Lifting for Women and also working on building up my endruance running.

Replies

• LadyMud17
    LadyMud17 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    First off,, try searching the threads here. There are lots of first timers and this thread has been answered before (by me even :)
    But to help you out...
    Be able to run a 6k
    pratice intervals, both in running and circut train (run fast for a time/distance sprint,, then recover,, repeat
    upper body,, be able to do a chin/pull up
    pratice on playground equiment,, you will see monkey bars
    carry heavy stuff, squats with kitty litter, lunges/walking with buckets full of sand (one or both arms,, known as the farmers carry)
    Burpees, learn to love them, I say on the hour drop and give it 5, then work up to ten,, ect\
    during your runs, drop down and do pushups, burpees, jump squats, box jumps, ect..
    find a rope, climb rope
    I hope this helps
    Sarah
  • Linli_Anne
    Options
    Thanks so much...

I have been trying to weed my way through all of the information on training for these kinds of runs. Some of the obstacles and things that people talk about make me feel like the mud run I signed up for is a kitten compared to some of them!! But it will definitely be a challenge for me.
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    No joke I found a book called The Ultimate Obstacle Course Race Training Bible (or something like that) and parts of it are written by Hobie Call who tends to be the Spartan Race God. LOL. It is really good since i can add a bit of variety to my workout using it.

ANyways My first run is in June and my plan so far is such:

MOndays: Jillian Michaels Kettle bell workout at home, plus I walk the dogs through the ravine and hills by my house - chest day but I usually add some of it to Tuesdays when I can get to the gym

Tuesdays: 3km run plus arm/chest weights and 3 core exercises

Wednesdays: Hot yoga - I need a good stretch once a week, often a 20 minute video in the evening if my kids give me a break

Thursdays: 3km run, weights: lower body, core

Friday: 6km run, shoulders and back day

Saturday: either Jillian's Kettle bells at home or level 3 30 day shred plus functional exercises in our ravine (I have sandbags at the bottom that I carry up the hill) and I go tot he park to do the monkey bars :)

Sunday: usually off, or yoga or a video at home or a walk with the dogs, pound out at least 30 burpees at once.

I am hoping to get outdoors running, but the snow here has been terrible so I need it to melt first.
  • Linli_Anne
    Options
    I'm going to check in at the library and see if they have a book like that.

I did find a really useful article online last night, after chasing down many rabbit holes following links to this that and the other thing. It gave a broader idea of what kind of exercises to incorporate into a running routine.

I am going to continue with my 3 days of New Rules of Lifting for Women - It does great full body strength exercises that have already helped immensly with my strength and endurance. I'm also going to add a jog on to each workout - I think I'll probably start with 3/4 of a mile after each workout, and increase it to 1 mile and so on.

Sundays are going to be a day for my long runs. We still have a LOT of snow/ice on the sidewalks/trails near home, so I'll keep on the treadmill for a while yet, the last thing I want to do is injure myself.

I think I need to start incorporating burpees too . . . ugh. Love/hate.
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    My 6 year old boy (who is doing the kids race) makes me do 10 burpees every morning before breakfast. I have to do 30 of them on MOndays and Saturdays before jiujitsu for him. Slave driver he is.
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    Options
    I trained for my first obstacle race, the Hero Rush last year for a couple months. I was also coming off shoulder surgery.
    My initial goals were to build up running stamina. Slowly started running 1 miles and gradually increased it until I could run a 5k outdoors.
    The race was brutal on my thighs. Doing burpees, squats, incline walking running and or stairs will build up the strength and stamina.
    Push/Pull exercises. Somewhere you are going to have to pull yourself up or pull something. I seriously lacked upper body strength because of my surgery...it was the only obstacle I failed (trying to climb a knotted hose 20 feet). If you can, try to incorporate pull ups, pushups and rows.
    Your core does play a big role in many of the obstacles. Every day try to do some planks or core exercises to keep it strong...
    And remember...have fun!
    Good luck!
  • Linli_Anne
    Options
    Thank you all for the added tips and training techniques.

I am so very proud of myself that I actually did 2 full pull ups the other day.

My legs are very strong, so I'm hoping that will help me out in a lot of areas, but will definitely be pushing upper body/core exercises.

I created a bit of a "Circuit" that I can do in my home - basically jog 3/4 - 1 mile on the treadmill (it's still snowy/icy outside), get off and do 10 burpees and 20 jumping jacks, jog 0.5 miles, get off and do 20 pushups, jog 0.5 miles, get off and run our 2 flights of stairs twice, jog 3/4 mile, bear walk for 2 min., jog 0.5 miles, 20 pushups, jog 0.5 miles, bear walk and then cool down walk.

I'm looking forward to when I can get outside to train.