Tell me your horsey NSVs!

Options
Okapi42
Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
I know a lot of us are trying to get in shape for our horses - so you must have some little victories to share?

Today, Jackson took off in a mad gallop when I asked for canter, and my first thought was "hey, my bum no longer hits that seam on the cantle when he does that!".

Also, I tried him in his new Western pad today - I'd bought it to go under the treeless saddle because it's a little stiffer and will disperse the pressure of the girth straps better. They seem to bother him. I'd been hesitant about putting it on him because it's actually heavier than the saddle - but then I realised I'd lost more than it weighs since I started riding him, and tried it on. He seems to be much happier with it.

Replies

• SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My horsey NSV was actually getting back on one after 16 years. Granted, he's the size of a tank, but he's mine!
  • Michelleszoo68
    Michelleszoo68 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My most inspiring (for me) NSV has been being able to mount my 16 hand gelding without needing to climb up on a stoop first! I used the excuse that he's a big boy--it would be hard for anyone 5'3 to get up on him--but the real reason was that I had gotten so heavy that I no longer had the upper body strength nor the flexibility to get myself up on my own! I was having to jumping up on the fender of my trailer to get on--and you could see the glimmer in my Nacho's eye as he'd step away at the last minute just to mess with me. Brat! and gawd forbid I had to get off along the trail somewhere. Then I'd be looking around for a rock to climb up on or a hole to put my horse in to make him shorter. How humiliating is that??? YIKES!! I still have a long ways to go and it's only going to get better. But thanks to Yoga for helping with the upper body strength and flexibility, even just losing 15 pounds has made a world of difference.
  • suzetteducrepe
    suzetteducrepe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I put on my winter riding breeches the other day, and I didn't have to dance and wiggle into them. I bent over and tied up my boots without getting cut in half, and it occurred to me, my breeches fit! I didn't feel like a sausage in them, they were just comfortable!
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I need new, smaller jodhpurs and half chaps. Everything is too baggy and chafes :bigsmile:
  • TraceyG1971
    Options
    I recently was able to ride again after 3 years of not riding. It was great!!! I didn't try to be a dare-devil or anything but it was just nice being back in the saddle again and riding around in the back pasture :)
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Hey, those all sound excellent! Congrats to Tracey and Sheila for getting back in the saddle -

And well done Bucky for mounting from the ground! Jack's only 15.2, and I still mount from a chair. I tell myself it's because it's better for him with a treeless saddle. :wink:

I'm sort of hoping I don't shrink out of my best jodhpurs...
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It is pretty easy zipping into my chaps and field boots!

what's NVP?
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hey, those all sound excellent! Congrats to Tracey and Sheila for getting back in the saddle -

And well done Bucky for mounting from the ground! Jack's only 15.2, and I still mount from a chair. I tell myself it's because it's better for him with a treeless saddle. :wink:

I'm sort of hoping I don't shrink out of my best jodhpurs...

I use the tailgate of our pickup to get on EZ. He's 16.1!
  • diazwoman
    diazwoman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    wow Buckeyhorsemom, thats great, what yoga did you do????? I am not able to get on my horse without using a mounting block. I would use one anyway as it is better for the horses back on a regular basis but I really worry in case of something happening out on the trail how would I get back on?

Part of the reason I started this journey was to be able to do more with my horses.
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Hmm, that's true, it is better not to put too much one-sided pressure on them. But still handy to be able to mount from the ground if needed...

Here's Jack in his lovely (but heavy) new saddle pad!

Jackson_mit_Deckchen.jpg
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,204 Member
    Options
    I have had quite a few horsey NSVs over the past few months (non-scale victories -- I think that is what it means, and the "victories" part sure feels good!). Just as I was getting near my goal weight and feeling pretty fabulous (my horses were thanking me too), I tore up my knee pretty badly. After a month off to get the healing started, I found out I could not use a stirrup AT ALL on that side. So, I bought a great bareback pad and have ridden exclusively on that ever since. It is amazing for my riding in general, and I do almost everything now -- all gaits and transitions, poles (not jumps -- yet!), trail rides, and I have so far survived even the occasional spook and take off incident. I was so bummed when it first happened, especially after losing weight and feeling in great shape, but it has turned out to be a great development for my seat, control, confidence and communication with my horse. I hope to get back onto a saddle again one of these days, but at the moment, it's great without it.

And yes, stealing my skinny daughter's full chaps and zipping them up no problem was a total rush!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Hey, that sounds excellent! I think everyone could benefit from more work without stirrups, but I'm too chicken to try at the moment...
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Out trail riding several weeks ago, I was able to remount my 15hh horse from the ground. Granted, I stuck him in a rut in the road to give myself every advantage, but I was able to get back on without struggling, in spite of bad knees and being old.

Second NSV was being able to borrow a pair of size MEDIUM winter riding breeches from my daughter when I visited her last year. She got me my own pair for Christmas.
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    Really wonderful reading all the NSV! Skinny Chaps!

Jugar, I could borrow a friends Parelli bareback pad. My challenge is that Sunny, like so many OTTBs, has a cold back. I have to sit practically on the withers and ask him to walk off, or he starts going down? I need to ask the saddler about that.

Does anyone know the cause? Or the fix?

I love riding bare. I hack out with reins attached to his fancy leather halter too!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    I'm afraid I need my stirrups because of Jack's tendency to bolt, but a treeless saddle works really well for me - you can feel the horse moving under you like you're bareback.

NSV yesterday: noticed that my body protector is hitting the cantle. Annoying, but a sign that it's sitting lower now!
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options
    Really wonderful reading all the NSV! Skinny Chaps!

Jugar, I could borrow a friends Parelli bareback pad. My challenge is that Sunny, like so many OTTBs, has a cold back. I have to sit practically on the withers and ask him to walk off, or he starts going down? I need to ask the saddler about that.

Does anyone know the cause? Or the fix?

I love riding bare. I hack out with reins attached to his fancy leather halter too!

I know with some OTTB's they are full of anxiety and tension. This in turn can tense up their back muscles making it painful for them until it gets worked out. Lunging before trying to ride bareback may help to warm up and relax those muscles. It can also be overly sensitive nerves that run along the back in which case I am not sure if that can be worked out.
  • slavetothehoof
    slavetothehoof Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My nsv would be when I went on a 10k endurance race on my ottb snd neither of us where remotely tired, before we used to get so out of breath that we'd be at the check points for at least half a hour catching our breath. It feels good to know I'm lighter in the saddle as well.
  • slavetothehoof
    slavetothehoof Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing though that I'm trying to loose weight and at the same time put weight on my horse.

He suffered a nasty bout of laminitis june last year and we are only just managing to put the weight on now.
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    Non Scale Victory but not horsey

Doctor halved my BP meds today. For three days I have been dragging! a MFP had the solution!

I dropped my pain med, cuz no pain!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    That's amazing! I'm sure it counts as a horsey NSV, too, because no pain will make you a better rider :)