Documentaries, books, etc.

Options
For the last weeks, I have been watching pro vegan documentaries on Netflix. Apparently I was conned by terms like "free range", "family farm". What a joke. Of course I hate the sad parts and if its too much I just don't look.

On a positive note, I am learning so much more. The films lead me to books. I was vegetarian up til now. Sadly I also ate and drank crap and thus found my way here to MFP.

But after watching those programs it is EASY to give up dairy, eggs and fish.

I really liked Forks Over Knives and the related The Interviews. I went on to read books by Dr. McDougall which put healthy starch back in my diet. Thank heavens for that. I also got Dr. Esselstyn's book Reversing Heart Disease because I had a heart attack and am on all kinds of drugs. I can't tell you how excited I am to think most diseases are reversible.

I have been a Healthy Vegan for only a week but all aches from arthritis are gone! I have Dr. Campbell's book The China Experiment, all in Kindle, but haven't started it yet.

I watched GetVegecated this evening. Really entertaining watching 3 New Yorkers experiment going Vegan for 6 weeks!

Also saw Food Matters. Have definitely learned something. I raised my children vegetarians. They are now adults but I hope,they will read or watch some of these resources and become vegan.

I was already familiar with Dr.s Ornish and Fuhrman and have their books, newsletters, etc. Looking forward to hearing about other resources.

Since mid December I have lost 18 lbs and I expect to keep up the pace with my current:
low fat, low sugar, no processed, organic vegan program!

That is a mouthful!

Replies

• jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience in regards to being vegetarian for a long time and then going to a plant based diet. I am mostly all the way vegan now. I still need to purchase some plant based protein powder, but other than that, I've been vegan for several days now. I want to check out some of the books you mentioned. Hopefully I can find some at the library. :)
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It feels so great to live knowing I am not hurting animals. I swear the horses look at me differently since the switch. It is "good" to have some of those horrible scenes from the movies in my memory for when I have a weak moment! And I remind myself that it takes 21 days to make a habit!

Last night I researched vegan and cruelty- free shampoo, wash, etc. PETA has a list.

I decided to wear my leather boots until they need replacing, then I will find an appropriate replacement. don't you think that is reasonable?

am I missing anything?
  • EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been Vegan since mid September & was only Vegetarian for a month before that.

There were a couple of times when I had cravings & I just thought of the documentaries I had seen & they soon put me back on track.

I tried to watch earthlings once, but it was too upsetting as it reminded me of when my dog was put down, but I will watch it one day soon.
  • tryingvegan
    tryingvegan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same thing. We just got Netflix again and I've been watching all the "vegan" movies I can find. Dr. Gerson was a doctor back in the 30's and 40's and he claimed he cured people who had cancer. Their diet was vegan, organic veggies, etc. It was very interesting.
  • vegan_mama34
    Options
    i watched all those movies on Netflix too! and they were what influenced me to go vegan cold turkey the day i watched them. i loved Vegucated, i've watched it a couple of times ;) it is really interesting..
  • kkoltcz
    kkoltcz Posts: 30
    Options
    I loved - Hungry For Change.
  • superbeacon
    Options
    I really like Dr. Fuhrman and recommend his book _Eat to Live_, if you haven't read it already. He is featured in many of the documentaries that you mentioned and he goes into much more detail in his books.

The Forks Over Knives Cookbook is the best one around, in my opinion. It's worth a look!

Has anyone read _The China Study_ by the adorable T. Colin Campbell? It is next on my list. I'm particularly curious about it because of the NEGATIVE reviews I have read, mostly indicating that Campbell's results are inaccurate due to omission of data that was not compatible with the intended results. Ever the skeptic and pain in the *kitten*, I am hoping to be able to prove the naysayers wrong ;)

There was a book that I read over the summer which was quite good, until I got to the chapter that lauded drinking one's own urine. Suddenly all of the helpful bits in the book were forgotten. Ha!