breastfed baby eating less&biting!

Options
Hi, my lil man is five months old, and for the last week or so, he's only eating about 7 to 15 minutes about every 3.5 to 4 hours during the day (sleeps mostly thru night), except at his early morning feeding, where he'll eat 4 about 20 minutes. After that, he'll latch on, but will just bite my nipples! (he doesn't have teeth, but it still HURTS!) He doesnt seem 2 b losing weight, and his diapers are always wet. Also, he seems 2 b latched correctly during sucking, but pulls his tongue back to bite. Has anyone had similar issues? I'm wottied about whether he is getting enough of the hindmilk with such short feedings...

Replies

• jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    my 7 month old has never ate for very long. Since she was born, it was very short 15-20 minutes. I worried about her and talked to my doctor about it but he said it was fine and just to watch her diapers. She always had wet diapers and was gaining weight. I dont think you have to worry about hindmilk getting to your baby. Just watch his diapers and if his stools are green and foamy, that is how you know he's only getting foremilk. Mine also used to bite with her gums, but now she has 2 teeth and still does it sometimes. Ouch!!! Hope this helps.Good luck :)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My little guy is 5 months old, too. I've been reading a lot about teething because he is chewing on everything (me included).

I read that if their gums hurt, sometimes eating hurts them, and they will bite down to relieve pressure. Or they won't eat as much if it hurts them.

If your little guy is still filling diapers and isn't losing weight, I wouldn't worry too much. Babies also get more and more efficient with their feeding as they get older, so he could very well be getting everything he needs.

I feel your pain, though ... ouch!

@jmcreynolds - interesting about the green poop/hindmilk thing. I didn't know that!
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    :smile: :smile:
  • Bombbombgo
    Options
    Okay, great! Thank you both! And knowing about the green poop is really helpfull!