How do you pass the time on your runs?

Options
tsikkz
tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
What kinds of things do you guys do to pass the time in your mind?

I tried podcasts and audio books but I just cant concentrate. I like kind of emotional or angry music I cant listen to anything upbeat and happy when I run. I like to picture I'm in the music video if that makes sense.

I also do things like win arguments and give motivational speeches in my head when I run lol

Replies

• JAHodgkinson_uk
    JAHodgkinson_uk Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I daydream or end up thinking about work. Mostly I run without music and just enjoy wherever my feet take me. There are some great paths near me.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The right music will certainly help you keep a good pace. I just kind of zone out - its me, my breath, and the road. I've tried to meditate in yoga class, but I think I do it better while running. :)
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Running partners, we do a chitty-chitty-chat-chat all the way through our long runs.
    If I am alone, mental maths (I am such a nerd I know).

Or I just enjoy spending time alone in my head, running has helped me work through some painful personal stuff. Where else can you have the luxury of an hour just to think? :)
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I listen to music and let my mind wander. Depends on when I run, but often that means I wind up thinking about work. That's not as bad as it sounds, though.

Sometimes I just don't think at all, which is really cool. I always have a hard time getting my mind to 'relax.'
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    My mind wanders, I sometimes listen to the music, but it's mainly there to keep up the tempo. I think, I daydream, I look at nature, I look at houses, sometimes I am just running.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I usually set a specific pace I need to run at, so I'll spend most of the time focusing on that. Also, I alternate long runs with intervals and tempo runs, so that I won't get bored with my running routine.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I listen to music... the first mile, I concentrate on getting warm so normally my fastest mile. After that, I enjoy my surrounding and listen to music along with my HRM/GPS watch that tells me that Ive completed a mile and about to start another one. I occasionally race myself and allow the watch to tell me I'm ahead or behind my pace. It's fun... like a game :-)
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I daydream. It's kind of like mobile meditation. It's a place for me to not really think of anything. Listen to music, too. Since I started listening to music I don't get so "bored".
  • LisaR517
    LisaR517 Posts: 80
    Options
    I listen to music to keep my pace, and my mind usually goes blank. ;) Seriously, I don't think about anything. I'll mouth lyrics time to time, but it's nice to veg while doing something you love.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    comedy podcasts. Favourites are Hollywood Babble-On, TOFOP and Jay and Silent Bob Get Old. All are adult only but very funny.

I do look like a tool laughing to myself running down the street though.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run! Zombie 5K and, coming soon, Zombies, Run 2! Nothing has ever added interest to my over-listened playlist that a gripping story I can't wait to hear the next part of.

Also running TO places rather than around the block - visiting friends, picking up something form the shop, checking out a new gym etc.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I look at the ground. lol
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I trail run so scenery, and concntrating on not tripping / breaking my face keeps me pretty entertained.

A lot of day's I kind of zone out, and I couldn't tell you what the heck I thought about.

I occasionally listen to running podcasts
    * endurance planet & trail runner nation are my favorites
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I try to concentrate on my pace and what I am seeing. But, if I am upset, I mull on the problem, and fret, and stew. Maybe it helps me work out some kind of emotional resolution. I am not sure.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    If I run with people we talk the whole time, sometimes there's nothing better than a 3 hour catch up session with a friend while you slog through 25+km.

If I'm by myself I have music going, if I'm in the right mood I'll sing along and dance a bit, but otherwise I let my mind wander, though I often spend much too much time thinking up my next facebook/MFP status or the subject for my next blog post.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I tend to zone off. I don't know if that's a technical way to pass time, but I zone out mentally very well on runs, which is probably why I love them so much. It gives me a mental break, like re-booting a computer. I don't even think about anything in particular, usually, just let my mind go where it wants, and mull over things going on.

It also makes me hate treadmills, because if you zone out on those puppies, you can catch your foot and fall on your face.

Not that I've done that..
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I listen to music. If I don't have something to distract me I will count my steps and that makes the run seem so much longer!
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    It's kind of like mobile meditation.

I like that!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    The only way I ever used to run was with music. But then I did a bunch of half marathons where headphones were discouraged. I found that I really liked running without music. I just think.. or just stare ahead and think about nothing expect how my body is working while i'm running. It's very rare that i'll run with music anymore.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Scenery. I try to not run the same route twice - lamppost by lamppost, tree by tree, building by building. When running a race, passing people makes time go by more quickly. Also, music is a must.