Help, Barbell Row question

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
Ok this may be a dumb question but I just wanted to be sure .....

Just did day 1 of SL today. When doing a Barbell row (since it was day 1) it called for 65 lbs. So that would be the 45 lbs bar plus 10lb plates added to each end, correct?

This is what I did so I hope it was right BUT 65 was alot of weight for me to finish the 5x5....and then I am adding 5lb the next time !!
Should I just up the weight as directed or work on the 65lb max for awhile?

Replies

• taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If you finished the 5x5 with 65 then you should up your weight by 5 pounds next time... If you didnt do all the 5x5 then it remains at 65. So if you do 70 next time, just do as many reps as you can... You dont always have to get it to be 5 reps... But thats what your working for... Sorry i feel like this is a really confusing explaination ha.
  • kopmom
    Options
    If you finished the 5x5 with 65 then you should up your weight by 5 pounds next time... If you didnt do all the 5x5 then it remains at 65. So if you do 70 next time, just do as many reps as you can... You dont always have to get it to be 5 reps... But thats what your working for... Sorry i feel like this is a really confusing explaination ha.

Thank you !
    Make's sense, so if I can make it all the way through the 5x5 with X lbs then I should move up. If I cannot complete the 5x5 then I should stay at that weight will I can...correct?

What about the bar and adding weight? Was I correct??
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say yes this is the case. But since it was your first workout and it was already hard for you. I would say next time start with the bar. This is supposed to be really easy for you right now to work on form. The reccomdended start weights are based on men. So you just may need to start lower. Stalling out faster can actually hurt your progress. Same goes for the other exercises if it feels heavy use less. If the bar is too much then use fixed barbells that are lower or dumbells. Don't be worried about lowering them they will get heavy again fast you just want to make sure you have the proper form before you get there so you don't injure yourself. Just stack plates on the end till it gets to an appropriate height

Awesome job on starting

Yes you were correct. I always take the number subtract 45 lbs for the bar then divide by 2 to give you how much on each side. Ex 95 lb would be 50 after the bar is subtracted then dividing by 2 is 25 lbs per side
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Yes, you were right to add the weights. Rows and deadlifts start higher because you're pulling from the floor, and the weights help to elevate the bar more. But, 10lbs are still much smaller than 45lb weights (which puts the bar in the optimal pull height), so you can use barbell stands or stack weights up to balance the bar on top to raise it higher until you can start adding more weights.
  • kopmom
    Options
    Yes, you were right to add the weights. Rows and deadlifts start higher because you're pulling from the floor, and the weights help to elevate the bar more. But, 10lbs are still much smaller than 45lb weights (which puts the bar in the optimal pull height), so you can use barbell stands or stack weights up to balance the bar on top to raise it higher until you can start adding more weights.

Thanks, how much height should I be adding?
  • kopmom
    Options
    Normally I would say yes this is the case. But since it was your first workout and it was already hard for you. I would say next time start with the bar. This is supposed to be really easy for you right now to work on form. The reccomdended start weights are based on men. So you just may need to start lower. Stalling out faster can actually hurt your progress. Same goes for the other exercises if it feels heavy use less. If the bar is too much then use fixed barbells that are lower or dumbells. Don't be worried about lowering them they will get heavy again fast you just want to make sure you have the proper form before you get there so you don't injure yourself. Just stack plates on the end till it gets to an appropriate height

Awesome job on starting

Yes you were correct. I always take the number subtract 45 lbs for the bar then divide by 2 to give you how much on each side. Ex 95 lb would be 50 after the bar is subtracted then dividing by 2 is 25 lbs per side

Thanks, really only the Row was hard. The rest I felt were fine
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    yes you did it right. At first its really awkward to let the bar hit the floor every rep because the 10lbs is so small. I have a pellet stove at home and I put the bags under each side of the bar so that its closer to me. I hate barbell rows :)