Time zone differences, communication and sleep!

Options
Not fitness related but I'm having a hard time managing these three things!

My partner and I are currently separated by a deployment and the time difference is 6.5 hrs. I'm finding it very difficult to be able to talk with him and manage a good sleep pattern while working full time. He usually isn't available to talk until after my midnight..usually 1 or 2AM. We may text or Skype for an hour or two..texting usually goes back and forth for a coupe of hours, and then he goes to bed and I'm wide awake knowing I have to be up for work within 2-3 hrs :S

It's not an ideal cycle, but he isn't available to talk during the day and I don't NOT want to be able to talk with him. He can usually only call once a week which is around my 6pm if he can make it to the phones, but I don't really want this to be the only time we chat. I was thinking emailing back and forth through the week instead of texting mainly....

What's worked for you ladies? Deployment sucks hey!

Replies

• fae14
    fae14 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had a similar issue when he deployed last time. The only difference is that he worked the night shift, so we were online the same time...and then I quickly found that my entire day revolved around him. Nothing was done before he went to bed, and then I had only a few hours to do everything I needed to do (groceries, kids, cleaning, etc.)

I know talking to him only once a week sucks. My husband deployed last Wednesday and at most we've talked for 30 minutes in three phone calls en route to their new location. It's not enough.

My best suggestion would be to find out what the best time would be for the two of you to skype for both of your schedules, and then keep the appointment every day, but limit yourselves to an hour. Then you can still get sleep and do what you need to do .

This deployment, my husband is ahead by something like 14 hours. It will be interesting this go around, that's for sure.
  • fablevins
    fablevins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've had similar issues. We ended up skypeing on the nights when I didn't have to work the next day. We also emailed a lot and I attached a new photo to each email and that really helped him feel better. Good luck!
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Can you nap in the early evening? I've been all over the board with my hubby as far as time differences. I actually have a clock on my computer screen that I set to his tim zone so I know what time it is wherever he is. (On your main screen right click, select gadgets, then clock)