Phoenicians found!

Options
dstevens19
dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
I've been on MFP for over a year logging via the app but just recently discovered the groups online. How nice to see a group for Phoenicians. Would you like to get to know one another by posting a bit about yourself?

I'm Debra...just turned 50 but I'm not freaked out about it. Wife to a great guy and mom to 2 boys, 1 in college, the other getting ready to graduate HS. I moved to the Valley in 1968 when my dad was recruited to the new Motorola headquarters. I love the casual lifestyle here.

I'm in marketing professionally and spend my free time reading, lovin on my 2 dogs and trying to get in shape. I take spin class, a muscle conditioning class and walk ... Anything low impact.

Who else is here? It will be nice to meet you.

Replies

• wildfirediva
    Options
    Hi! I am Dolores I have been on MFP since about Sept/Oct of 2012. I have been in the Valley of the Sun going on 4 years. I have spent the last 15ish years based between NM and AZ with a few temp assignment locations in other states over the years too.

I work in Natural Resources- WildFire/Forest Fire Management. Not out in the field fighting them like I used to though.

My free moments include exploring the cool things and meeting the people in my Neighborhood. ( I live in Central Phoenix/Downtown). There is ALWAYS something going on. I also walk and bike all over this area including work just about daily.

The gym is where I spend at least 1 hr at 4 days a week. (Weight Training, HIIT circuits) The rest of the week I rely on my day to day walking/biking/hiking to keep my activity levels up. Looking to take a Flamenco class in the near future and would like to get a good Yoga or Zumba class in the mix too.
  • Stevenbowtieman
    Stevenbowtieman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I live in the downtown Phoenix area and enjoy hiking at any of the surrounding mountain parks: North Mountain, Squaw Peak, South Mountain, Pinnacle Peak. I pay my gym membership more often than I go, but I want to change that. I hope to find a bunch of people who have similar interests so I can get a little support group to help me stay motivated in these pursuits.

I work in an office, but my heart is on my mini farm.

I am happy to share anything else anyone wants to know.

Steven!
  • dstevens19
    Options
    Great to meet you and thanks for responding. I think a lot of people want to hike, based on previous comments/threads. I have a bad knee and have to do low impact. I take a spin class at the YMCA 3 days a week and a weightlifting class 2 days a week. Both are at 5:30 am weekdays. I like getting it out of the way early!

Welcome!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am Cheryl, will be 42 in May and also not freaked out about the age thing. I am healthier than a lot of 25 year olds lol. I live in Tempe near Mill Ave (yikes haha), married to a wonderful man, have 2 kiddos age 7 & 11 who their dad and I share custody and actually have a friendly and healthy relationship which I am very proud of accomplishing :)

I am a writer & quilt designer. I LOVE to hike (and NOW is the time before it gets too hot!), love Zumba and dancing in general, speed walking, kickboxing and have recently gotten back into weight training. I never lost the "baby weight" from my pregnancy with my son, and realized it's no longer baby weight - it's lazy weight.

My goal is to get in GREAT shape! We recently renewed our life insurance policies and I found out I am SUPER healthy inside and I really decided I want to keep it that way - heart disease runs in my family and I am not getting any younger.

Oh - and I have lived in AZ coming up on 3 years in July, moved here from Las Vegas but I am originally from California - born & raised.
  • Jille0
    Jille0 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jill and I live out in East Mesa! I have lived in AZ since 1988. I am 42 years old and am very happy for each day I have! I have two beautiful and athletic boys and a beautiful dog that is my walking buddy! I walk my dog 3-5 miles a day and will be changing my walking time to 5 AM with the coming heat! I belong to LA Fitness and regularly go to the gym at lunch time and do cardio, however, I am starting with weight training on Monday and will be breaking up my routine a little bit.

I joined MFP in December was following the plan, but was gaining weight. I gained 20 pounds in the scope of 3 months! The pituitary tumor that I had partially removed 6 1/2 years ago grew back and the additional hormones it produced helped me to pack on this weight. I just recently received Cyberknife Radiation on it and will know in short order if it has helped to shrink the tumor. I am just know seeing some changes in my weight going in the right direction!

I would love to meet up with some other people locally for hiking or even just for online support!
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Val and I live in North Phoenix! I am 31 and have three kids between the ages of 5 and 1. I'm originally from the Midwest, but moved here eight years ago. Love to hike, and spend most of my time training for triathlons. This includes quite a bit of time at the Y in their pool swimming laps or using their stationary bikes for my short bike rides. Great to see a group for people in Phoenix!
  • dstevens19
    Options
    Welcome, Jill and Val. Thanks for joining us. I'm Debra. I live in NE Phoenix. My kids are a bit older-- 17 and 20. I work out regularly at the Y, with spin and muscle conditioning classes. I've been on many diets and have gone up and down in weight my entire adult life. What I've changed this time is eating normal food in smaller portions, approaching this as a life change rather than a diet. It's going slow but I feel really good.

If you'd like to stay in touch, just friend me.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Glad I found this group! I live just north of Desert Ridge! Have been here for more than 20 years, have an 18 year old and a 20 year old.
  • SewBethy
    SewBethy Posts: 16
    Options
    Hello All! -Glad to have found this group. I'm turning 50 in August and want to feel fit and trim on my Bday, then maintain that fitness and 'trimness'. My daughter and I are newbs to MFP, but are having fun discovering all of its features. -love hiking...and learning to love Pickleball. We're in SW Mesa.