Starting position

Options
Hadabetter
Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
Rookie question.

I'm just getting back into running after a long, long lay-off. I'm targeting a couple of races "down the road" and want to run times that reflect my level of fitness. So I was wondering, races have gotten so well attended over the years how do you seek out a starting position that keeps you from being held up by (and tripping over) slower runners ahead of you, while also trying not to do that to faster runners behind you.

Replies

• JAHodgkinson_uk
    JAHodgkinson_uk Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Very good question.

I look at last years times online and see where my tempo run time would place me in the field and start around that point.

With chip timing it's okay to start a bit back as your time is when you cross the mat rather than gun time.

I find it also helps me to not go off too fast then blow up in the last 3 miles or so :-) Pacing is a fine art! The longer the race the less of an issue it is. It's fun to pick people off on the hills that have gone off too fast especially in mass participation races..... club races are different, but you'd see that from last years times.

Have fun x
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice. Back in the day when I was running, chip timing wasn't around yet so I guess it's less of an issue now.

But, I'm very familiar with how the adrenalin rush of a well attended race can drain your reserves for the last mile. That's something that hasn't changed, for sure!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Most big races these days have markers for people to self select a starting position based on their estimated pace.

Some marathons have mandatory corrals based on qualifying times for this purpose.

I love races with pacers!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I love races with pacers!
    ^^ this ^^
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I always start back further than I think I need too. There is NOTHING worse than getting in the way of the faster runners and literally feeling like you are in a stempede with no where to go, and sometimes having things yelled at you!! I always start with the slower crowd and then find my pace once everything is spaced out.