Running Downhill

Options
cococa
cococa Posts: 122 Member
So at my last race, I noticed that I tend to run down hills much faster than those around me. I can't understand why they wouldn't let gravity do some of the work for them. Even in training, I tend to go pretty fast downhill. I strike midfoot, and I've been running distances for just over a year now (I used to sprint and jump). I also live on top of a hill, so I'm running down (and up) some long, steep hills at least once a week. I don't notice much of a difference in terms of how I feel after taking the hills fast (no shin splints or joint pain). Still I wonder - Am I missing something?

Replies

• KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I do exactly the same thing. As long as you aren't over-striding, I think it's fine.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    On slight downhills I run faster (unless I am recovering from an uphill) but steeper downhills hurt my knees so I can't get carried away.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So at my last race, I noticed that I tend to run down hills much faster than those around me. I can't understand why they wouldn't let gravity do some of the work for them. Even in training, I tend to go pretty fast downhill. I strike midfoot, and I've been running distances for just over a year now (I used to sprint and jump). I also live on top of a hill, so I'm running down (and up) some long, steep hills at least once a week. I don't notice much of a difference in terms of how I feel after taking the hills fast (no shin splints or joint pain). Still I wonder - Am I missing something?

Conventional wisdom is to take advantage of downhills but to not run hard downhill because it is very hard on the quads.

With your history, your quads can put up with the additional strain perhaps.

Per Dr. Noakes (Google "The Lore of Running" a staggeringly well written and researched, detailed book on all facets of running), it's good to lower your pace on uphills to keep your HR in range and then slightly increase your speed downhill. That's not for everyone and, if you're really strong in the thighs, take advantage of the muscles that you worked so hard to build up
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    My knees hate running downhill. They will run uphill all day long, but going downhill, if I just let myself go too much, I tend to end up pounding the heck out of them, and they don't like that.

I'd love to be able to just book it, but the impact is way too much for me.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Conventional wisdom is to take advantage of downhills but to not run hard downhill because it is very hard on the quads.

With your history, your quads can put up with the additional strain perhaps.

Per Dr. Noakes (Google "The Lore of Running" a staggeringly well written and researched, detailed book on all facets of running), it's good to lower your pace on uphills to keep your HR in range and then slightly increase your speed downhill. That's not for everyone and, if you're really strong in the thighs, take advantage of the muscles that you worked so hard to build up

I didn't even think about my quads! Ever since my gymnastics days, I've always been able to build strong quads quickly. Thanks for the info!