Ran my second half marathon yesterday! Tips please!

Options
Runningirl7284
Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
A little history first. I have lived in Florida my entire life so am not used to the cold weather. I ran only one previous half marathon, the same one 2 years back when I was nearly 30 pounds heaver in a 2:11 something pace (10 min miles). Here I am 2 years later, run several times with a running team and felt ready to rock it! I train with a guy and woman that we all run very close in our 5K times in fact I pull them along in most of our training sessions. I ran a 13 mile training run around the neighborhood 3 weeks ago in a 8:38 pace but it was very windy. I woke up yesterday morning to race and it was in the 50's. I wore my team's race jersey and shorts with compression capris underneath thinking it would warm up while I was racing NO! It dropped 13 degrees I was racing in 43 degree weather and had 2 miles of steep bridge work for mile 8 &9. My goal was an 8:10-8:15 pace I ran the first 4 miles and got a right abdominal pain for about a mile concentrated more on my breathing and form and it seemed to go away. My hips and knees started aching about halfway through. This has been an ongoing battle for me, joint pain but I really took the training light the 2 weeks prior and take glucosomine/chondroitin joint supplements as well as drink a gallon of water a day. I hit the bridge at mile 8 and FULL BLAST wind chill right at me, It was the roughest things to go up that bridge and turn around and come back I was chilled to the bone. I was not dressed warm enough and never warmed up the entire race. I slowed my pace just to be able to keep going and was able to pick it back up a little bit as soon as I got off the bridge. I finished with an average pace of 8:32 per mile. My completed time was 1:51:42. I was happy that it is a good starting point for me as it is 20 minutes faster then I did it in 2 years ago HOWEVER this is what gets me.....the girl that I train with finished 7 MINUTES ahead of me and the guy 8 MINUTES ahead of me. I feel like if they could do that they I can. I train just as hard as them. My aching knees and hips were what forced me to slow down and I made the HUGE error of not carrying my handheld water bottle and could only manage one sip of water at 3 water stations besides dumping the rest all over myself. When I crossed the finish line my husband forced me to get right in the car and bundled me and turned on the heater until i had some color return to my face b/c I scared a few people who said I was as white as a ghost. I just want to kill it in my next one and get that 1:43/1:44 that I feel I should be able to hit and would LOVE LOVE LOVE any tips or advice you guys can offer me for my joint pain or anything you think can help this beginner long/distance. I run many 5K's throughout the year but this was only my second half marathon. Thanks so much in advance! Sorry for the novel!

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the race! It sounds like you certainly have some natural speed.

Halfs are my favorite distance to race, as they are much more forgiving that 5K or 10K. In a 5K one bad split can ruin your whole race, in a half you can mess up and get back on track.

Not sure you what your training looks like, but I suggest increasing your mileage and your longs run a bit. I always say the best thing that ever happened to my half marathons was marathon training. Not that you have to train for a marathon, but being able to run 15-16 every weekend certainly makes race day that much easier.

The other thing to keep in mind is that all courses and conditions may not be PRable. I will NEVER have my best races in conditions that are sunny & 70. I need cool weather to run my fastest.

Good luck and happy running!
  • Runningirl7284
    Options
    Thank You very much for the response! I truly appreciate it! I DEFINITELY need to increase my mileage I always back off once my knees start hurting which is one of the reason I'm trying to incorporate more strength training for my ITBand I think may be weak and be a part of the problem with my knee & hip issues. Thanks again :)
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    Before your next half you may want to start strength training, especially the muscles in the legs. Just the way women are built we put more stress on out knees than guys do. If you strengthen those muscles it might help. You may also want to invest in a foam roller for your IT band. I roll mine out after every run, it really seems to help.

As far as your times go, I can't say since you blow my times out of the water, so congrats on that. If you get your knee issues under control and are able to train longer the speed will come.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I recently just ran a very cold half, and the coldness definitely affected my pace as my muscles felt stiff (I too did not dress warm enough). Some people handle cold better than others. I do not handle it well at all. You said you're used to warm weather, and with hip and knee pain, it will only make it worse. I wear 2 pair of tights to try to keep my muscles warm. The woman who won my half did it in shorts, with a 5:44 pace!! I think she handles cold well. lol

I think some added mileage, with some tempos, some hill runs & some intervals will get you where you need to be. Have you ever put your 5K race pace into a calculator like mcmillanrunning.com to see what it predicts you could race a half in? Just wondered where you got 1:43/1:44 from? Try not to base your times on your training partners, some people just race much better than others. I train with a young lady that I have a hard time keeping with in training runs, but I also beat her by almost 10 minutes in the half. Experience is part of it, as is desire, ability to push oneself, genetics, etc, etc. Good luck, focus on you beating the old you, but not necessarily anyone else and you'll be a much happier runner! :)
  • Rhunt24
    Rhunt24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice..just wanted to say nice job despite all the factors that weren't going your way. I ran my 1st and only half 3 years ago....got my second coming up and hoping to do as well as you did!
  • Runningirl7284
    Options
    I recently just ran a very cold half, and the coldness definitely affected my pace as my muscles felt stiff (I too did not dress warm enough). Some people handle cold better than others. I do not handle it well at all. You said you're used to warm weather, and with hip and knee pain, it will only make it worse. I wear 2 pair of tights to try to keep my muscles warm. The woman who won my half did it in shorts, with a 5:44 pace!! I think she handles cold well. lol

I think some added mileage, with some tempos, some hill runs & some intervals will get you where you need to be. Have you ever put your 5K race pace into a calculator like mcmillanrunning.com to see what it predicts you could race a half in? Just wondered where you got 1:43/1:44 from? Try not to base your times on your training partners, some people just race much better than others. I train with a young lady that I have a hard time keeping with in training runs, but I also beat her by almost 10 minutes in the half. Experience is part of it, as is desire, ability to push oneself, genetics, etc, etc. Good luck, focus on you beating the old you, but not necessarily anyone else and you'll be a much happier runner! :)

The McMillan predicts I should be able to run a 1:43:01 half marathon pace :/ Thank You for the great tips I have stayed away from training on the bridge as much b/c it hurts my knees but I think I need to do it once a week and just ice and strength train and hopefully it will correct itself as they get stronger. Thanks for letting me know that you and your training partner were 10 min apart that actually makes me feel better (except it must be great to be on the leading end!) Great job in your half! And thanks again :)
  • Runningirl7284
    Options
    Before your next half you may want to start strength training, especially the muscles in the legs. Just the way women are built we put more stress on out knees than guys do. If you strengthen those muscles it might help. You may also want to invest in a foam roller for your IT band. I roll mine out after every run, it really seems to help.

As far as your times go, I can't say since you blow my times out of the water, so congrats on that. If you get your knee issues under control and are able to train longer the speed will come.

I do actually have a foam roller and a stick to roll out my ITBand but honestly only use it a handful of times a week, I need to use it more diligently. Thank You for the advice! :)
  • Runningirl7284
    Options
    I don't really have any advice..just wanted to say nice job despite all the factors that weren't going your way. I ran my 1st and only half 3 years ago....got my second coming up and hoping to do as well as you did!

Thank You and Good Luck in your race!
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    Another thing you may want to check out is your shoes. How old are they, and are they the right shoes for you. If you have never gone to a running store to get your feet checked out you could be wearing the wrong ones contributing to your knee pain. I can feel it in my knees when my shoes are wearing down.

Just an FYI- if you like running skirts. skirtsports.com is having a sale right now. They have capri skirts and long pants with a skirt. I'm sure cold weather is not common in Florida so you don't need to stock up on cold weather gear like I do in Wisconisn, but it probably wouldn't hurt to have at least one pair of tights or long pants.
  • Runningirl7284
    Options
    Another thing you may want to check out is your shoes. How old are they, and are they the right shoes for you. If you have never gone to a running store to get your feet checked out you could be wearing the wrong ones contributing to your knee pain. I can feel it in my knees when my shoes are wearing down.

Just an FYI- if you like running skirts. skirtsports.com is having a sale right now. They have capri skirts and long pants with a skirt. I'm sure cold weather is not common in Florida so you don't need to stock up on cold weather gear like I do in Wisconisn, but it probably wouldn't hurt to have at least one pair of tights or long pants.

I actually go to "The Run Shoppe" and do get fitted shoes I currently use Brooks Cadence for runs under 6 miles and Brooks Adrenaline for longer runs. I buy new shoes about every 3 months. I can not run in Nike or Sacony as they do not fit my feet well as I have a wider foot and the Brooks work well for me.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I second the recommendation for strength training. I also would look at your omega 3 / omega 6 balance. Getting this correct can help decrease inflammation and thus help with joint pain. Turmeric and Cinnamon are also great natural inflammatories.
  • Runningirl7284
    Options
    I second the recommendation for strength training. I also would look at your omega 3 / omega 6 balance. Getting this correct can help decrease inflammation and thus help with joint pain. Turmeric and Cinnamon are also great natural inflammatories.

Thank You for the response! I have had this suggested to me and looked at some Fish Oil at the store and got overwhelmed with which was the best one there are so many different kinds. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Do you cross train? Non weight bearing cross training could help your knee issues. You could make every run count with 3 hard training runs a week, the rest cross training. That should be at least two cardio workouts a week in addition to the strength training suggested above.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options

Thank You for the response! I have had this suggested to me and looked at some Fish Oil at the store and got overwhelmed with which was the best one there are so many different kinds. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I alternate between the nature made fish oil, and nutrigold krill oil.

I think the main thing you want to look for is that the oil comes from smaller fish or has been purified to remove heavy metals. Flax seed also has pretty high levels of omega 3s
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Not sure you what your training looks like, but I suggest increasing your mileage and your longs run a bit. I always say the best thing that ever happened to my half marathons was marathon training. Not that you have to train for a marathon, but being able to run 15-16 every weekend certainly makes race day that much easier.

Ditto this. I set a PR for my half-marathon that I ran midway through my marathon training program last spring. I did run in 1:44.

Just curious....you said your goal pace was 8:10ish per mile but you wanted to finish in 1:43/1:44......you know those paces don't work out for that time goal, right? 1:44 half is a 7:55 pace. Not trying to split hairs but I was just curious when you mentioned both your goal pace per mile and your hopeful finishing time.

Anyway I agree with longer runs.....extending up to 15-16 miles will make 13 seem like a breeze. Also strength training has been very good to me for bringing my running times down. Also speedwork (intervals) and hills. Hate them both but they do great for making you faster.

Good job on finishing your 2nd half-marathon! I think your time is great for only your 2nd time out and I have no doubt that with a little fine-tuning to your training you can shave some more time off your PR.