sore bum.

Options
bonjour24
bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
i have a 200k (over 2 days) charity bike ride in november. i've done a bit of biking as cross training for my running, but nothing major and definitely not very often.
but today, after some procrastination, i have begun. i biked the 13kms to work. they were pretty hilly (although i'm sure in a few months i'll be telling you the route is flat!). i did it on my mountain bike. took me 53 mins. i am really looking forward to getting faster- i'd love for it to only take half an hr to bike to work. i guess i'll know by november!
i am not looking forward to breaking my *kitten* in. how do you all do it?? do you end up with callouses on your 'sensitive areas'? every time i stand up my *kitten* hurts.

Replies

• RatherBeOutside
    RatherBeOutside Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a girly seat, and it works wonders, yes I m a girl.
  • dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    You will NOT have visible or palpable callouses. It is more a figure of speach. Within a period of 2 weeks of riding (somewhat regularly) you will have MUCH less soreness. If you are really sore make sure you take a day off, but then get right back on the bike when the soreness is gone. The worst episodes of soreness should be gone or greatly reduced at this point, but some soreness may continue but it will become less and less. At some point you should consider having a reputable bike shop check you for a proper seat, bike shorts are a must, a bike fitting may be a good idea in the future if you have the money, change your position often when riding, etc, etc, etc..
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Have you been to your local bike shop (LBS) and had a proper 'fitting' for a saddle?

Basically, they'll get you to sit on a contraption that measures your 'sit bones' and will recommend an appropriate saddle for your size. Also, you don't say whether you're wearing cycling shorts? If not, get some of those too and remember, no undergarments whilst wearing cycling shorts!

This should make things 1000% better almost immediately, but you will also need to 'harden up' a little if you aren't used to time in the saddle!
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    First of all - great to see you back! I've been wondering how you go since your last post about the 200k preps.

Apart from the above advice on fitting, I just want to add a word that bike shorts & saddles are crucial but unfortunately oftentimes they are a matter of trial and error. Some people have to try many different brands/styles before finding the winning formula. I am sure your performance will be so amazing once you get this matter sorted out :flowerforyou:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I just want to add a word that bike shorts & saddles are crucial but unfortunately oftentimes they are a matter of trial and error.

Indeed! Most (good) LBS's offer a 'loan' service, for you to give various saddles a go, to see if you like them...
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Comfort on the saddle requires a lot:
    - good bike fit that keeps some pressure off that area to begin with
    - saddle that matches your body shape/geometry (not some big cushy one that causes more friction)
    - good shorts (which means both good pads and a properly tight fit