To take pre-workout or not...

Options
Hello Everyone!

I am a newbie that started 5/3/1 in January of this year. I was wondering if any one here takes pre-workout when you lift. Any pros or cons to taking pre-workout?

Another question I have is when you guys do the heaviest set (Main lift 75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1-to failure), how many reps to you usually get for the last one to failure lift?

For example, until now I have been getting 8ish, but today I only did 4 reps (I failed on the 5th). I think this is all part of my noob gains though, so I just want to know what the general experience is with this.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I usually take a pre-workout in the mornings, but I dunno how your tolerance is to caffeine/stimulants - if you want to take one give it a shot, I like them but they are basically just caffeine.

as far as failure sets - when you start you want to have high amount of reps on your failure set so you don't stall as much initially. Is this your first lifting program? You mentioned noob gains - you may have more luck with a starting strength type template or this template - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo, you will hit body parts multiple times a week, might see more results that way initially.
  • tdeprat
    tdeprat Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey Docmahi, thanks for the reply! This is my first time doing compound body movement type lifts in a power lifting type of program. I actually started lifting weights for the first time last year and did a 12 week program (body by design) not too religiously (I did it twice). That plan was a more isolated muscle type movement plan with higher reps (mostly 8-12 reps). I will check out the links you provided!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    If you think you need some caffeine to get in the mood to train, then take a pre.

I like them.

As far as the reps go, you're going to get less each month typically but my goals are usually 7 reps on 5's week. 5 reps on 3's week. And 3 reps on the 5/3/1 week. As you get closer to a new max, those goals are going to get harder to hit, and everyone has good and bad days. Just choose your battles, you can't kill rep PRs every week.
  • tdeprat
    tdeprat Posts: 15
    Options
    As you get closer to a new max, those goals are going to get harder to hit, and everyone has good and bad days. Just choose your battles, you can't kill rep PRs every week.

Thank you for this! I think I really needed to hear this from someone.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Thank you for this! I think I really needed to hear this from someone.

I wish I would have picked this point up when I was getting started. I felt like I had to go all out every training session and constantly get PRs, and that will burn you out fast.
    There are gonna be some days when you go in, hit the minimum numbers and you're ready to walk out. And that's fine.

The program is set up to progress you over a long period of time, so as long as you hit your required numbers, you've essentially laid that brick in the wall.

Strength definitely isn't always linear, I've had days where a given weight was heavy for 3 reps, then I've came back a week later and hit +20 pounds for 4-5 reps. Don't get bummed over a less than stellar training session, I've let my attitude ruin weeks of training before.