kipping

Options
Vmg773
Vmg773 Posts: 49 Member
Oh yeah, finally figured out how to coordinate my body well enough to get a decent rhythm. I'm so much closer to Toes to Bar!

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    T2B is my WORST for kipping. Ugh.....so fugly.
  • Vmg773
    Vmg773 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My kipping pull ups leave a lot to be desired....
  • Ickle_Star
    Ickle_Star Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I still can't get the movement right!
    Started using a band instead of just doing the jumping pull ups as I've done since starting CF 6 weeks ago.
    I get confused to this or do I just have to train harder and get stronger to be able to do it?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    ickle - there are many schools of thought on that one. If you have the strength to do a jumping pull up (hold) and negative - that will serve you better than a band.

If you don't have it at all, I would go the band route to gain some strength. As you progress through the different bands however I would test your ability to do the hold/negatives.

My box refuses to let us to use bands.
    I'm crossfitting 2 and a half years now and still can't do a pull up :explode: I have a 100# OHP, a 245# deadlift, but cannot pull my own bodyweight.:grumble:
  • Ickle_Star
    Ickle_Star Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ickle - there are many schools of thought on that one. If you have the strength to do a jumping pull up (hold) and negative - that will serve you better than a band.

If you don't have it at all, I would go the band route to gain some strength. As you progress through the different bands however I would test your ability to do the hold/negatives.

My box refuses to let us to use bands.
    I'm crossfitting 2 and a half years now and still can't do a pull up :explode: I have a 100# OHP, a 245# deadlift, but cannot pull my own bodyweight.:grumble:

Wow, I just saw this reply. Thanks very much for this @XFitMojoMom. I ditched the band stuff and started to focus on just practising the movement over and over. I can pull myself half way now so maybe another 3 months down the line I will be able to do it properly!

Pull-ups are a b*tch! Your profile is very inspiring! Keep up the good work. I'm sure you will nail pull-ups one day!
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I am fortunate enough to have a trainer. He broke it down for me and made me practise the individual motions and then eventually I was able to link a few together. I can only do abuot 4-5 in a row (kipping pull-ups), but it's a work in progress!! I always feel like a monkey when I'm trying to kip, it's so fun even though I fail at it most of the time. If you are putting in the effort then it's not a complete waste of your time cause you are still getting the exposure and you will become more efficient at it...keep at it and you will get there!
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    OMG 245# deadlift?!! To say I am jealous is an understatement.

I've been CFing for about 4mo now and have been doing unassisted kipping pullups for about 3-4ish wks. I started off on the middle band, moved to the smallest band and then started practicing the kipping pull up. I just kept doing the movements over and over every day until one day it clicked. This past tuesday we had a wod of 21*15*9*4 (4 rounds of the complete set of numbers for time or 35min time cap) of Back squats, pull ups and KB swings. I ended up doing 3rds, so that was 147 pullups RXed!! My left hand is ripped to shreds and was bleeding. My back squat was soooo weak at 75# (did first round with 95#)