Taking things apart seems easy...Part one

Options
beatpig
beatpig Posts: 97 Member
In 1992 I built myself a bike. A TT bike, vitus frame, ultegra for FD/RD/STI, Dura-ace where I could afford it, Time Titan Mags, Mavic Low Profile HBs, Scott tri-bars, Flite titanium saddle. After a year or so of standard campag wheels/dura-ace hubs, stumped up for a Zipp front wheel, 3G back...And it was light, and stable and flew...

And my penchant for women and beer, resulted in stopping cycling and putting on weight...

I never got rid of the TT bike...I spent hours building it, and loved it...And it felt like a waste...And it still is, I feel bad for the bike...

Been cycling for about 9 months now on an MTB, and feel in a position to get the TT bike out. It has less on it than the road bike that needs looking at, so took it out of the shed last night - The wife was NOT happy at this!! That's another story...

So I've split the chain, removed front derailler - soaked and cleaned that up, and taken the rear off - will be cleaning that tonight...

BUT...the STI levers didn't work. Neither of them. The ratchet doesn't seem to be engaging. I started with the RH one - the RD! It can't be *that* hard can it to take apart? After an hour of documenting each piece, photos, I managed to get a fantastic assortment of very grubby, greasy parts. It was easy.

I've soaked them overnight in degreaser, and to my delight this morning, the ratchet seems to be engaging. I wanted to call in sick, or take the parts to work and rebuild it at lunchtime. But I am itching to get home and see whether I can actually put it back together again.

I remain, as ever, positive.

Tomorrow might be a different story.

Replies

• narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! back to life! looking forward to see your updates :)
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I take it you've been to the shimano techdocs website and grabbed an exploded diagram of the sti levers...

( techdocs.shimano.com )

I vaguely remember there were a couple of special tools for servicing (read re-assembly of) the STI's...
  • beatpig
    Options
    Day two. Not so much activity. The wife is not happy about our dining room being converted to a bike shop. I know, technically, I'm not selling anything, but she's not in "that" sort of mood.

The ratchets seem to engage really well. I've connected back the two levers together quite nicely, and the spring in between was easily fit in through using the casing as a form of tightening the spring at the same time as connecting it altogether. Though I would say, during reassembly having the right socket to hand in order to tighten bits up would help. I'll know for next time.

So the gear levers appear fine. But, Shimano boffins are really quite clever and, apparently in foresight, so am I. During my life, there have been certain moments where something in my brain says "I've no idea what that is, it might be important, I'll keep it" and tuck it away safely where I know I can find it. And lo, 20 years after installing my STI gears, and as TBY pointed out, Shimano use special tools - the one that 20 years ago, I looked at and said "I've no idea what that is, it might be important, I'll keep it" and as soon as I saw the picture of it, I was able to lay my hands directly on it.

The special tool is commonly referred to in Shimano language as TL-ST02. In laymans terms, it's a spring pin, or spring retainer. To be honest, I think I could have used the thin tube which is supplied complimentary by WD40, though I'll leave some other clever bugger to try and declare them the winner.

It is this tool, attached to the spring, enables you to tighten it, and fit everything together. And whilst I should be happy it's all connected, there is one problem.

I've found an o ring. A metal one. I don't remember it popping out. It must have done. It's been in the cleaning solution, I've no idea where it comes from and part of me thinks it's important. I'd rather not be climbing a hill and trying to change gear and the whole system failing. I'm sure it has happened before to better people.

A part of me thinks that I should dismantle the left STI, and see if there is one similar on that side. But there is this little voice that says "It'd be best not doing that".

And I should listen to him.

He's done alright so far.
  • beatpig
    Options
    Day Three - Regardless of the potential pitfalls, I decided to dismantle the LH STI lever. Making further careful note of the position of the items.

There is no o ring that came from there. It might have come from a different source. But the RD STI is now complete, and moves nicely. The spring retainer tool has worked nicely, and the brake function works. Which is a good thing!

The FD STI is now soaking in degreaser, and even though it has been in there for an hour, moves well. It might be due to the fact that the RD ratchets are more complicated that the FD. Anyway, I've left it to soak overnight.

Now, I have the decision about the hoods. They're grubby, not as grubby as they were and there is a tiny tear in the one of them. It's not significant, but I notice it. It might not get worse. Because I am using lo pro bars I don't use the hoods to cycle with so part of me thinks I shouldn't replace them. They're expensive though. But, the part of me that deals with perfection, perhaps thinks I should sort it.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Every fibre of my OCD nature is screaming "get the new hoods - get the new hoods!!!"

(which is why it's taken me over 2 years to get approximately half a Campag Victory Groupset from 1985, and will probably end up costing more than the current roadbike did!)
  • beatpig
    Options
    Both STI levers assembled, and fitted to the bike, cables run smooth for the gears. Front brake is perfect, but the rear brake, the cable is worn and will need replacing. This is the first item that actually needs to be done - Sorry TBY, can't justify at the moment the replacement hoods - so I don't feel too bad.

It's been a good exercise, the chain is done and ready to put on. In reality, if I didn't have the brakes to sort I'd be riding it tonight.

Will post pictures once done!
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    This is very exciting!!

We dont see many Vitus here can't wait to see the photos.
  • beatpig
    Options
    Whilst installing the gear cable for the rear, some of the strands frayed and caused the cable to catch. I am really surprised actually that I've done all this work and so far I just need to buy gear cable and brake cable.

Front brake sorted and works well, front derailleur installed, cable attached - just needs adjusting once the chain is back on.

Rear derailleur is working well, the indexing looks good, and the movement inside the STI is fluid and feels light to move, and responds nicely. Happy with that, considering that earlier on in the week I was a little upset about them not working.

The rear brake spring is stiff and once the brake is applied it sticks in place. Dismantled, put in greaser. Will check tomorrow...
  • beatpig
    Options
    It's done! I've actually only bloody gone and done it! The brake ended up with a complete overhaul, removed all working pieces and reassembled half a dozen times. I was not tempted to dismantle the front brake to see how to fix the rear.

It was really tough. The brake calipers needed a lot of care and attention. I almost crapped myself when I removed one section to find a tiny number of ball bearings in a thin sleeve - Thankfully that was a sealed unit - and still sealed!

And I figured out that brakes don't like ALL the bolts tight. They don't work properly! Some need to be tight, some don't.

I never previously used the special shimano connecting pin for the chain. Until now.

The indexing didn't need to be adjusted, it all lined up, sounds perfect.

Pics to follow. When I find out how. And where.

Can't believe it's something I've done myself.