Workout Questionnn!

Options
baraccus
baraccus Posts: 85 Member
So what do you guys/gals do when you're away from home and can't do your usual workout? I'm camping out most of this week and won't be able to do my usual daily cardio and strength training. And I wondered the same thing last year when I was up in Canada doing training for work (though walking around in the snow was a good workout). Just wondering if y'all have certain exercises you make sure to do even when you're away. Eating good is hard enough when you are on the company's dollar!

And as much as I know taking someone back to my room would be a good workout, trying not to rely on that! haha!

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If nothing else I at least try to walk a lot when I'm away. It's better than nothing!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    If you're camping, I would go hiking or explore where you're camping. At the very least you could also do lunges, squats, etc.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    When I travel for work, I usually just run (and use the hotel weight room if they have one).

When I'm on vacation, I'm on vacation. However, I'm an active person. I love hiking, walking, biking, etc. so I don't worry about. Plus, my two kids won't let me sit still anyway. :)
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I LOL at your 'bring a girl back to my room' comment! awesome!

I agree with the other posters though.
    If you are going camping, try to do some walking, hiking, exploring.
    If you are in a hotel, do they have a weight room? treadmill? etc. Even just walking outside to do some shopping, etc. works.

As Mud said, vacation is vacation... although I usually vacation in Las Vegas so you are walking alot anyways.

For food, indulge but watch your portion sizes. Eat what you want but don't eat the entire plate.

And stop making fun of Canada eh? haha you get snow in the states too!
  • baraccus
    Options

If you are in a hotel, do they have a weight room? treadmill? etc. Even just walking outside to do some shopping, etc. works.

As Mud said, vacation is vacation... although I usually vacation in Las Vegas so you are walking alot anyways.

For food, indulge but watch your portion sizes. Eat what you want but don't eat the entire plate.

Haha, I should have specified my camping, we are out at the racetrack this week :) So camping in a trailer, not the fun outdoorsy stuff you are all thinking about (though I love going on long hikes and doing that as well!)

And I loved my 8 days in Canada! Went to Calgary even ;) But where I live in California it has only snowed 2-3x in my lifetime! Aside from me trying to fall down when it would freeze (long strides are seemingly bad on ice..haha) I'd be scared to let my car out of the garage! So many gunked up cars! :P
  • kimad
    Options
    And I loved my 8 days in Canada! Went to Calgary even ;) But where I live in California it has only snowed 2-3x in my lifetime! Aside from me trying to fall down when it would freeze (long strides are seemingly bad on ice..haha) I'd be scared to let my car out of the garage! So many gunked up cars! :P

I am in Calgary, nice choice :)
    Although I could live without the snow and colder temps, there are much worse places to live in Canada!

Looks like walking in your choice and keeping your meals in check.... If this is for work, you have piqued (after the thread on grammar, I am scared I spelt this wrong lol) my interest - what do you do?
  • RunIntheMud
    Options

Haha, I should have specified my camping, we are out at the racetrack this week :) So camping in a trailer, not the fun outdoorsy stuff you are all thinking about (though I love going on long hikes and doing that as well!)

Run around the track... or up and down the bleachers. Do sit-ups, pushups, flutter kicks, crunches, planks..... I could go on... :)
  • baraccus
    Options

I am in Calgary, nice choice :)
    Although I could live without the snow and colder temps, there are much worse places to live in Canada!

Looks like walking in your choice and keeping your meals in check.... If this is for work, you have piqued (after the thread on grammar, I am scared I spelt this wrong lol) my interest - what do you do?

I'm a geoscientist for a local oil company :) I get to choose what sort of training I go to(well within reason) and Calgary sounded awesome! Calgary is seemingly pretty popular for the oil croud :)
  • baraccus
    Options

Run around the track... or up and down the bleachers. Do sit-ups, pushups, flutter kicks, crunches, planks..... I could go on... :)

That's a good list! I suppose I could just focus on the body weight resistance exercises and just do more of them
  • RunIntheMud
    Options

That's a good list! I suppose I could just focus on the body weight resistance exercises and just do more of them

Bingo. Make the most of what you've got.
  • baraccus
    Options

So...i SHOULD focus on bringing a lady back to my hotel? LOL jk! :P
  • kimad
    Options
    I'm a geoscientist for a local oil company :) I get to choose what sort of training I go to(well within reason) and Calgary sounded awesome! Calgary is seemingly pretty popular for the oil croud :)

Are you single and coming back? jk! Very popular becuase alot of the oil and gas head offices are in Calgary! AB is a booming province!

Great ideas and you could attract some female attention as well I am sure ;)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

hey, a workout is a workout is a workout... :laugh:
  • baraccus
    Options

Are you single and coming back? jk! Very popular becuase alot of the oil and gas head offices are in Calgary! AB is a booming province!

Haha actually my class this year is looking to be in Houston, it will shockingly be my first time in Texas! (which is sad because my grandparents came from there!). Single yes, and i'm always up for a trip there! (though some of the downtown hotel prices are scary!) We went all over, drove to banff as well, loved it!

Great ideas and you could attract some female attention as well I am sure ;)

Haha, always a positive :)
  • RunIntheMud
    Options

Burns calories right???
  • baraccus
    Options

Burns calories right???

if you're doing it right!
  • kimad
    Options

hey, a workout is a workout is a workout... :laugh:

That's what I always say...
  • kimad
    Options

Haha actually my class this year is looking to be in Houston, it will shockingly be my first time in Texas! (which is sad because my grandparents came from there!). Single yes, and i'm always up for a trip there! (though some of the downtown hotel prices are scary!) We went all over, drove to banff as well, loved it!

Banff is lovely... you would love Lake Louise then, and the hot springs.. maybe even Jasper... oops, I already planned out your next trip, just let me know when I need my 'tour guide' hat :P I have never stayed in a hotel in Calgary, but I am sure downtown would be pricey.
  • RunIntheMud
    Options

Burns calories right???

if you're doing it right!

Then it's a workout. :wink:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iPhone? I have an ap called sworkit which you put in what you want to work and for how long and it gives you body weight exercises you can do anywhere. The ap is probably on the droid too but not positive.